PDA

View Full Version : Off Topic IE video problem

ulav8r
08-19-2014, 11:02 PM
Have a problem with Internet Explorer 10 that started after an update in early July I think. On some forums people will put a link to a video in their post. In the past I would ignore them because my hotspot connection is too slow and capacity too small too watch many videos. However, since early July those links do not show at all. Instead there is just a blank space. If I use Firefox the links show up but I prefer the interface of IE over Firefox. I use pop up blocker in IE10 and it works well, in Firefox I still get a lot of pop ups. I would prefer to go back to Netscape if it were still available and would work with the current bloat happy websites that are so prevalent nowadays.

I have checked through all the IE menus and cannot find anything that looks like it would block video links. I tried restoring to a June restore point and that did not work either. I am also running Ad Block Plus but cannot tell if that might be the culprit. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get the video links back in IE10. I want to wait until IE 12 is running well before upgrading to IE11. Also don't want Opera/Google getting into my computer.

Would also resist going to Linux because of the time required to learn new software for all my uses.

outlawspeeder
08-19-2014, 11:57 PM
Try open IE > Tools > internet options > Advance Tab > Restore Advance Settings.

Programs Tab > Manage Add-ons > Look around for any Add on that that should not be there.

On the same tab > Set Programs > Change Autoplay Settings > At the bottom Reset to default.

This last one you can go down the list to ensure the settings are right.

outlawspeeder
08-21-2014, 12:09 AM
Any luck?

ulav8r
08-21-2014, 09:22 PM
Tried all your suggestions, they did not help.

PStechPaul
08-21-2014, 11:48 PM
I had somewhat similar problems on my Win8 laptop and it cleared up after doing a hard reboot. Close all programs, then press and hold the power button until it shuts down. Wait a couple of minutes and then click it to start up. I've been using Mozilla Firefox lately and I have not had any more problems, although sometimes the browser reports that Adobe Flash plug-in has crashed. It's also a good idea to download the latest version and (re)install it. Good luck.