PDA

View Full Version : My ironing machine is doing funny things.

Black Forest
08-25-2014, 06:27 PM
We have this ironing machine with the roller and steam. You put a towel or sheet in, step on a pedal and the roller feeds the material in and out. Presto flat material.

The heating element started doing funny things today. It would get hot and then cool off. I took the cover off and found a component that was arcing and the heating lamp indicator flashed according to the arcing.

Curious as to what this component does. It is hooked in a series to the heating elements. There are two of these parts. One on each end.

http://i853.photobucket.com/albums/ab91/burnandreturn/heatingelement2_zps4c8cbb92.jpg (http://s853.photobucket.com/user/burnandreturn/media/heatingelement2_zps4c8cbb92.jpg.html)
http://i853.photobucket.com/albums/ab91/burnandreturn/heatingelement1_zps50d06f59.jpg (http://s853.photobucket.com/user/burnandreturn/media/heatingelement1_zps50d06f59.jpg.html)

topct
08-25-2014, 06:38 PM
An over temp sensor but they are supposed to fail open? And they usually don't reset themselves.

Black Forest
08-25-2014, 06:47 PM
An over temp sensor but they are supposed to fail open? And they usually don't reset themselves.

This thing makes a real pretty green arc. I thought maybe it had a LED or something sort of like when you plug in a Ethernet cable.

Abner
08-25-2014, 07:13 PM
I expected some comments about your wife doing funny things...

It is either a high limit (safety) switch or it's a fixed temp control switch. Is there more to the circuit? More temp switches? Snap disc are used commonly.

PStechPaul
08-25-2014, 07:20 PM
Most likely they are thermostats to maintain the correct temperature. They open and close at different temperatures so they don't usually "chatter", but it seems the contacts have failed and are arcing. It might be repairable, or you can get a replacement for about $5 or less. If you want it to last "forever" you can use the thermostat to drive a SSR which can handle the power to the heaters.

Here are some that might work:
http://www.surplussales.com/Thermal/Thermal-1.html

mars-red
08-25-2014, 07:51 PM
I expected some comments about your wife doing funny things...

LOL You beat me to it! :)

RichR
08-25-2014, 09:24 PM
I expected to see a machine for ironing sheep prior to shearing them.

PStechPaul
08-25-2014, 09:41 PM
It takes an iron man to do an iron sheep. :rolleyes:

Rich Carlstedt
08-25-2014, 09:52 PM
We have this ironing machine with the roller and steam. You put a towel or sheet in, step on a pedal and the roller feeds the material in and out. Presto flat material.
[URL]

They are called Mangles
My mom had one in 1948

Rich

boslab
08-26-2014, 01:03 AM
Its the actual thermostat for the hairpin element, there is a buckle washer or strip in it that bends like a bimetallic strip to open above working temp and close below, theres a copper or beryllium copper contact on it, over time the surface has pitted just like points of a car, the green light is the characteristic spectra of copper, lovely colour it is too, every time the strip is operating its arcing, the unit is supposed to snap open and closed like the buckle washer in an automatic kettle, sometimes when they get old they slow down and self destruct with arcing, it sounds like it does not have many operating cycles left before either permanent open or worse welds shut, there is a fusable link in the hairpin element to prevent thermal runaway, it will fail about 20 degrees over max temp so you will have to change both if you do keep using it, just change it, the temp should be on the side, some replacements are round, also found in the back of tumble dryers, espares or someone will have them not expensive but judging by the ironers age you would be pushed to get a new element.
I have trained the missus to fold clothes off the line and not bother with ironing, id does work!
Two pet hates, ironing (ok shirts sometimes need a press) and volvo headlights being on all the time!
Think how many MWatts or barrels of oil have been wasted lighting up daylight and pressing clothes, i rekon the world reserves of oil would get consumed by them eventually, i remember my mum ironing with an iron on the stove, seemed to work ok, suppose folk with an aga or wood burner could do that
Mark

Black Forest
08-26-2014, 02:11 AM
Its the actual thermostat for the hairpin element, there is a buckle washer or strip in it that bends like a bimetallic strip to open above working temp and close below, theres a copper or beryllium copper contact on it, over time the surface has pitted just like points of a car, the green light is the characteristic spectra of copper, lovely colour it is too, every time the strip is operating its arcing, the unit is supposed to snap open and closed like the buckle washer in an automatic kettle, sometimes when they get old they slow down and self destruct with arcing, it sounds like it does not have many operating cycles left before either permanent open or worse welds shut, there is a fusable link in the hairpin element to prevent thermal runaway, it will fail about 20 degrees over max temp so you will have to change both if you do keep using it, just change it, the temp should be on the side, some replacements are round, also found in the back of tumble dryers, espares or someone will have them not expensive but judging by the ironers age you would be pushed to get a new element.
I have trained the missus to fold clothes off the line and not bother with ironing, id does work!
Two pet hates, ironing (ok shirts sometimes need a press) and volvo headlights being on all the time!
Think how many MWatts or barrels of oil have been wasted lighting up daylight and pressing clothes, i rekon the world reserves of oil would get consumed by them eventually, i remember my mum ironing with an iron on the stove, seemed to work ok, suppose folk with an aga or wood burner could do that
Mark

This machine is not that old and parts are available.

What is a hairpin element?

Thanks for the help.

davidh
08-26-2014, 10:41 AM
a element rod bent into a "U" or hairpin shape.

Rosco-P
08-26-2014, 11:39 AM
Examine the contacts for pitting from the arcing. Depending on how bad they are , this may or may not work.... Fllatten both contacts with a strip of 400grit (maybe 600?) held between them. Remove as little metal as possible, but they should be smooth when done.

Black Forest
08-26-2014, 12:41 PM
I ordered the replacement part today. They are quite proud of the little fella. $45!

Abner
08-26-2014, 07:42 PM
I think the sparks that would fly if this thread was about your wife would be more entertaining. Lol.

hoof
08-26-2014, 08:16 PM
It takes an iron man to do an iron sheep. :rolleyes:

Just learned where we get steel wool from =D

Black Forest
08-26-2014, 11:08 PM
You guys are a hard bunch of fellows! I build one little sheep handler and now everything I write gets turned into a sheep sex theme! :p

On my grave stone it will say something to the effect, "Here lies Bruce the man that revolutionized sheep love!

RichR
08-26-2014, 11:20 PM
On my grave stone it will say something to the effect, "Here lies Bruce the man that revolutionized sheep love!
More like:
"Here lies Bruce, the man that revolutionized sheep restraining apparatus!

PStechPaul
08-27-2014, 02:14 AM
And he died with a "sheep-eating grin on his face"! :p