PDA

View Full Version : Craftsman Belt Sander Tracking Repair Problem

Win12Fan
08-28-2014, 04:41 PM
Hello,

I own a Cradtsman 3 belt sander model no. 315.117130.
The hook on the end of the spring that goes through the hole at the end of the tracking screw broke, so I cannot adjust the tracking on the sander.

I ordered a new spring, but I am having problems installing it. The end of the shaft of the present spring that goes through the yoke assembly is held by the end being flattened so it is wider than the shaft and does not slip through the hold in the yoke assembly.

What should I do to keep the shaft end of the spring from slipping through the holes on the end of the yoke? Whatever must be done, it must happen after the spring and shaft are through the holes.

Can anyone off advice on how to repair this? If the end of the shaft were threaded, I could put a small nut on the end and I think it would stay. Flattening the end of the shaft could be problematic.

Thank you.

Win12Fan

lynnl
08-29-2014, 08:53 AM
I'm having a hard time visualizing what you're talking about.

Is this the spring* in question? Could you cut a groove around the end to accept a circlip retaining ring? ...or maybe drill a hole for a cotter pin.

* Ooops, forgot to add the link to the spring.
http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/part-number/998375-001/0009/315

danlb
08-29-2014, 01:32 PM
Drilling a hole for a cotter is a great idea. Easy to do with minimal tools. The circlip would probably be more secure, but requires more skill and you need the right size circlip.

I was thinking that to flatten the end, heat with a torch and whack with a ball peen hammer. Chances are it does not need to be flattened much.

Dan

Win12Fan
08-31-2014, 01:45 PM
Hi,

thanks for your reply -- the photo you attached is exactly what the part looks like -- I will probably try the cotter pin -- the only problem as I see it is that the hole and cotter pin will have to be very small since the shaft is a little less than 1/8" diameter

danlb
08-31-2014, 02:02 PM
I did not see the yoke in the expanded drawing. It sounds like the shaft goes through a round hole, right?

That's smaller than I thought. Since it's only 1/8 diameter, threading it with a die and throwing a nut on it is quite viable. If it's real soft steel (or even pot metal) you can flatten the end using wire cutters or vise-grips. ** Caution; this can ruin your cutters ** I have lots of vice grips, and one is dedicated to this kind of abuse. The less shaft you grab, the more concentrated the force.

Since I just bought a TIG welder, the obvious fix is to throw a bead of weld on the end. :)

Dan

Win12Fan
08-31-2014, 02:03 PM
Dan,

thanks for your reply re my belt sander tracking repair problem -- I think I will go with the cotter pin idea although I do have a couple of concerns about that:
- the size of the hole in the shaft end of the spring will have to be very small as will the cotter pin because the shaft is a little less than 1/8" diameter
- getting the hole in the center of the shaft with my drill press (I can see this taking several attempts and maybe going through several springs)
- if the temper of the metal is for flattening will the shaft be weakened with drilling a hole? there is quite a bit of tension on the spring where it goes through the hole in the yoke
- I would try heating the shaft and flattening with a hammer, but it would have to be heated and flattened while inserted into the yoke and there is not a lot of room for heating and putting it on a hard surface for flattening

Thanks again

Win12Fan