PDA

View Full Version : OT, a new computer scam.. anybody else?

DR
08-30-2014, 12:08 AM
At home sitting at the computer this afternoon. Phone rings, didn't show caller ID, but I answered anyway because I was expecting a call from a friend.

Caller says he's Gary from Windows research division (with an Arabic accent). He didn't know my name and didn't ask. I asked if he was from Microsoft? No, something like "XYX" company that monitors hundreds of millions of computer worldwide. And they noticed my computer was about to crash because it had been downloading virus software.

He wanted to know if I was at the computer. I said no, I was far away from it. Well I better get over to it so he could tell me which programs on my hard drive were viruses and he would send software to erase them. By this time he was shouting and emphasizing the urgency.

I kept repeating I couldn't get to the computer. Finally he hung up.

He was convincing. There wasn't the usual delay you get with robo calls before the caller says anything. He didn't know my name, didn't know I was at the computer. All he knew was my phone number or was it just random?

I've heard of the deal where they put something on your computer which locks up the system then they charge you to remove it. Wonder if this was one of those.

techonehundred
08-30-2014, 12:14 AM
It is definitely a scam. They will get you to see generic errors and convince you that something is wrong with your computer. They will also try to convince you to let them remote into your computer. Then they will hold it hostage if you do not pay them.

look at this link
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2012/10/i-am-calling-you-from-windows-a-tech-support-scammer-dials-ars-technica/

dp
08-30-2014, 12:22 AM
A couple days ago I terminated the telephone service of the home I sold as we're moved out and have not need of it. Twice since I've gotten two slamming calls at my new number trying to get me to change long distance carriers. Scamming seems to be a fast growing industry.

macona
08-30-2014, 01:24 AM
Ahh, this happened with my parents. Somebody called up about windows and stuff... They have a mac...

Jpfalt
08-30-2014, 01:44 AM
I've had the same call several times. I just tell them to quit calling.

danlb
08-30-2014, 02:02 AM
They have called me several times. They claimed my computer was contacting them to report that it was broken. They claimed a Microsoft affiliation. I knew it was a scam for several reasons, including the fact that I had no Windows computers running it the house.

I strung him along for 15 minutes with a dumb guy routine. I even got their phone number to call them back by claiming that the line was bad. When I eventually got tired I pointed out that my linux system did not have that "regedit" command. I then pointed out that even though I wasted 15 minutes, it was 15 minutes when he was not ripping someone off.

The FBI was not interested. The local police were not interested. The FCC was not interested. There's no wonder that these guys act with impunity.

Dan

RichR
08-30-2014, 02:24 AM
I've gotten the fake Windows call a few times claiming a virus on my computer is trying to access other computers. After a few minutes I mention I'm
running Linux and for some reason they then lose interest. Next time they call I'm going to say "Yes, I know. I'm testing the new virus I wrote. Why are you
guys eavesdropping on my computer?".

My brother got called a few of times. He decided to play along to see how long he could keep them on the line. First call, 20 minutes, second call 30 minutes.
The third time, he told the guy how long he managed to string the first two callers along and ask him if he'd like to try to break the record. The caller hung
up, how rude.

The scammer has the victim call up the error log and quotes some errors that are commonly in the log anyway and says they are due to a virus.
He then has you call up the task manager and mentions a couple of processes that are normally running, again, they're viruses.
Once the victim is concerned, he gives them a web address to connect to so they can download a fix.

Circlip
08-30-2014, 03:51 AM
My standard reply is "What's a computer?"

Had one the other day who started "Hi, my names (whatever) from microsloth anti virus, how are you/"

He got "Hi, my names Ian and I'm pissed off with receiving unsolicited phone calls"

He left.

Regards Ian.

BigBoy1
08-30-2014, 04:47 AM
How about having member/members who know electronics build a "screamer" for the lack of a better word. This device would emit a horrible noise into the phone and make the caller want to hang up/get off the phone to stop the awful noise. I'm sure if they were reasonably priced, they could make a lot money and make the scammers deaf!

NiftyNev
08-30-2014, 06:41 AM
I've had lots of calls from Microsoft, or rather, scammers claiming they are. Sometimes have a bit of fun with them if I have the time or simply tell them to **** off. My brother once totally confused a scam caller by asking how he managed to ring him, when he did not have a phone.

Black_Moons
08-30-2014, 06:45 AM
reply to them "This is the FBI, we are running a trace on this phone call and demand you stay on the line until it is complete and give us your address and real name or we will be adding additional charges when we come busting down the doors"

Sun God
08-30-2014, 07:16 AM
How about having member/members who know electronics build a "screamer" for the lack of a better word. This device would emit a horrible noise into the phone and make the caller want to hang up/get off the phone to stop the awful noise. I'm sure if they were reasonably priced, they could make a lot money and make the scammers deaf!
Great minds think alike; I was thinking the exact same thing the other day. At work we get 60% scam calls or people trying to sell us a great long distance deal. After hanging up on my third for the day by lunch my immediate thought was to switch them onto a second line, and playback the 56k modem dial-in sound until they hang up.

bfjou812
08-30-2014, 07:22 AM
Portable canned air horn that I use in my boat seems to work real well............

Lew Hartswick
08-30-2014, 09:18 AM
These thigs only work fr a real live person on the other end. My biggest complaint is the caned messages. "This is an important message ........."
or "This is about your credit card ......." etc. :-(
...lew...

Dunc
08-30-2014, 09:38 AM
"build a "screamer"... I just use an old whistle. Unsure tho, whose ears get the worst of it.

DR
08-30-2014, 10:02 AM
Geez, I knew t was a scam......now I'm kinda disappointed I didn't lead the guy on for awhile...

MaxHeadRoom
08-30-2014, 10:23 AM
Geez, I knew t was a scam......now I'm kinda disappointed I didn't lead the guy on for awhile...

Don't worry, you will get it again in a couple of weeks, I usually have a script ready!.
Max.

KiddZimaHater
08-30-2014, 10:36 AM
You guys should string telemarketers and scammers along as long as you can, just to waste their time.
Listen to some of Jim Florentine's Terrorizing Telemarketers on YouTube. He's a riot!
Hold on, Let me put my Brother on.. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dy9lUJJGqI)

danlb
08-30-2014, 10:43 AM
You guys should string telemarketers and scammers along as long as you can, just to waste their time.
Listen to some of Jim Florentine's Terrorizing Telemarketers on YouTube. He's a riot!
Hold on, Let me put my Brother on.. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dy9lUJJGqI)

Yeah, he's a hoot. Well worth listening to a few of his.

I started yesterday's spam call with the words "Good morning. This call is being recorded for fraud prosecution purposes." The guy sputtered something about "I don't agree to be recorded". I laughed and said "So? Hang up then". There was a pause while he tried to figure out what to do. He hung up first.

Dan

_Paul_
08-30-2014, 10:44 AM
Just ask them what colour/type of underwear they have on normally works like a charm ;) if not and they don't hang up.....well...

A.K. Boomer
08-30-2014, 11:17 AM
This scam is nothing new, it's almost as old as the home PC is,

I just tell them that that's impossible because I don't own one and they hang up, I try not to make myself a target by taunting them as after all they have my phone # and if you get right down to it can jack with you in the future in other ways... same thing goes for people who know where you live, at least within reason why start a stink if it's no big deal and they know where you are and you don't know where they are,,, not too wise, it's not just your property, have pets or kids? so many twisted freaks out there that you never know what can happen, you think it's a done deal till you find that someone drove through the ally at night and chucked a steak in your yard that's been marinated in anti-freeze...

EVERYBODY should be aware of this scam by now, very common, let them move on and get more rejection, hell of a way to go through life, punishment enough as sooner or later it will sink in just how much of a loser they are...

Paul Alciatore
08-30-2014, 03:23 PM
I use an answering machine and use it to screen calls. Many "Anonymous" and others from distant area codes. We just don't answer if we do not hear a message that we want to answer. Most sales and scams just hang up when they hear the answering machine. So far my cell phone seems to get very few annoyance calls.

Paul Alciatore
08-30-2014, 03:34 PM
I used to do that. Also with the folks who knock on your door. I love debating theology with ignorant idiots who want to convert me to their "pay as much as you can and then even MORE" church. I once sold a Fuller Brush order to a vacuum cleaner salesman who knocked. Ushered him in fast and broke out my sales kit. You should have seen his face. And NO, I did not buy his vacuum.

Fun and games!

Mike Folks
08-30-2014, 03:40 PM
We have a answering machine screen our calls for us, rarely do I pick up to listen to their "Song and dance". As a result, many calls are abruptly ended. Another scam going around, has a young person calling, asking for bail money, saying he's their Grandson, and the gullible people believe it, sometimes, another person , will also be on the phone, saying their officer so and so, to make it more believeable.

MotorradMike
08-30-2014, 05:02 PM
Nobody beats Tom Mabe (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7OgWcwgB50&src_vid=mkdoogjic4I&feature=iv&annotation_id=annotation_420523) at getting rid of telemarketers.
Really funny!

flylo
08-30-2014, 05:22 PM
I always invite them in to lay hands on them. Works every time. :rolleyes:

I used to do that. Also with the folks who knock on your door. I love debating theology with ignorant idiots who want to convert me to their "pay as much as you can and then even MORE" church. I once sold a Fuller Brush order to a vacuum cleaner salesman who knocked. Ushered him in fast and broke out my sales kit. You should have seen his face. And NO, I did not buy his vacuum.

Fun and games!

firbikrhd1
08-30-2014, 07:06 PM
A similar scam call came to me twice. Some foreign sounding guy calling to tell me theres something wrong with my computer, even when I'm not suing it. I just tell them there isn't and hang up.

epanzella
08-30-2014, 07:20 PM
I try to sound really interested and then say "hold on, someone's at the door". I put the phone down and keep doing whatever I was doing. I'll hang up 10 minutes later.

JoeLee
08-30-2014, 08:13 PM
Got one of those calls a couple months ago as I was sipping my morning coffee. I knew right off it was a scam so I thought I would have some fun.
I was asked to get on my computer and do a bunch of stuff, which I told the funny speaking person on the phone I was doing. But things just weren't working out as I couldn't find the directories he was asking me to find.
Finally he asked me what kind of computer do you have...................... I said I have a Radio Shack TRS-80 !!!!!! CLICK.............
End of conversation.

JL................

boslab
08-31-2014, 01:23 AM
I got an indian guy last week, same thing, he said we are a company working with microsoft and that my computer was sending messages that it was infected, is said to the guy you do realise you have rung microsofts local office, he hung up instantly
No more calls
Mark

rythmnbls
08-31-2014, 08:24 AM
Was it this guy ?

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k142/madluther/Misc/ms.png (http://s87.photobucket.com/user/madluther/media/Misc/ms.png.html)

Steve.

Lew Hartswick
08-31-2014, 08:28 AM
I got an indian guy last week, same thing, he said we are a company working with microsoft and that my computer was sending messages that it was infected, is said to the guy you do realise you have rung microsofts local office, he hung up instantly
No more calls
Mark
would have been even better to say, A Timex/Sinclair TS 1000. Anybody like ti have one? I have one in the shed and a whopping 16K memory module
for it. :-)
...lew...
Itlooks like the "Quote" got the wrong post. :-)
..Lew..

SGW
08-31-2014, 08:52 AM
Asking them, "Do you believe that Jesus is your savior?" works pretty well.

RichR
08-31-2014, 10:34 AM
Tell them you'll need their credit card number first because you charge $9.99 a minute to chat.

loose nut
08-31-2014, 11:01 AM
something wrong with my computer, even when I'm not suing it..

Man, you are brutal if you sue your own computer.

firbikrhd1
08-31-2014, 06:29 PM
Man, you are brutal if you sue your own computer.

Dyslexic typing is my real problem.