PDA

View Full Version : Buying perscription safety glasses on line?

dalee100
09-02-2014, 10:04 PM
Hi,

Has anyone here purchased prescription safety glasses from an on line vendor? Who did you use? Was it satisfactory? Cost effective?

Thanks!
Dalee

mf205i
09-03-2014, 04:11 AM
http://www.zennioptical.com/
Absolutly the best deal in town, Mike

HighWall
09-03-2014, 04:14 PM
I've bought from them. Great quality and hard to beat the price. Now, if you need an eye exam too, I really like Costco for my glasses. Great thing about Costco is they have a one year unconditional guarantee. Even if the glasses fall out of your pocket onto a blacktop parking lot and you step on them, scratching the heck out of them, they will replace the lenses for free. Ask me how I know...I gotta say, I was floored.

rklopp
09-03-2014, 07:04 PM
Now, if you need an eye exam too, I really like Costco for my glasses. .

On the other hand, Wally-World for safety glasses was an absolute disaster. They lost my initial order. Then, the glasses showed up without the side shields. The second pair came in bent like a pretzel. The third time was barely adequate.

randyjaco
09-03-2014, 07:36 PM
+1 on Zenni. I have been buying from them for about 5 years now. No problems. It amazes me that my online glasses always fit. Somehow the brick and mortar glasses always have to be custom fitted by some mouth breather that takes about 6 tries to get it right.

Randy

Weston Bye
09-03-2014, 08:58 PM
Never done mail-order, but my employer periodically every few years offers to pay for a pair of prescription safety glasses... if you use their "approved" vendor.

So I go there and get fitted. Now, I wear trifocals, but I strongly prefer that the middle range area of the lenses be wider than the standard issue, as it works well for the type of work I do.

After a few day they call me whining about the difficulty of getting the "special" lenses and delays & etc, so I give in. Bad idea, I hated them. But I endured until the next time that the "free" glasses were offered, and made clear in, if not graphic, then precisely technically illustrative terms exactly what I wanted.

I've never had any such problem with my regular vendor of 40 years. Indeed, they were who suggested the wider middle range area to make my life easier.

Weston Bye
09-03-2014, 09:03 PM
Randy,
You must have your ears on straight, and the fitters just don't believe such things are possible. Indeed, they can't seem to believe that they have done their job properly if they don't make some sort of adjustment.

Reminds me of Mark Twain's short story "My Watch". Google it.

J Tiers
09-03-2014, 10:06 PM
Randy,
You must have your ears on straight, and the fitters just don't believe such things are possible. Indeed, they can't seem to believe that they have done their job properly if they don't make some sort of adjustment.

And, like as not, they actually mess up more than they fix. I need to go back about my latest pair of regular glasses..... not cheap..... but the frames are adjusted in such a way that one side slides forward more than the other.... so I have to push them back a lot.... Then also, I specifically asked them NOT to polish the edges of the lenses, because that causes all sorts of distracting reflections.... so what happens? they polished the edges like mirrors...

With that experience, NO WAY would I EVER buy mail order glasses.... I know too much for that..... With mail order, there is nobody to fix legitimate problems....it's all "on you" to deal with.

That CAN work, but having had a pair where the opticians got the astigmatism correction (axis) at the wrong angle, and fighting with them to fix it, I am not in favor of trying. If that had been mail order, I would have just had to trash the glasses and buy new.... nobody would have ever fixed it mail order, it was hard enough in person, with me even explaining exactly what the problem was..... They all assumed I had no clue, and insisted that I "just needed to get used to this kind of lens". Finally one person actually listened, measured, and reset the lens in the frame. Surprise! .... all fixed, immediately obvious. Try THAT by mail order......

Lew Hartswick
09-03-2014, 11:07 PM
What about the "photo darkening" type? I juat had cataract surgery and am in need of main lenses: no correction in the left eye and just a bit
in the right with minor astig. and single bifocal of + 2.5 and definitely the photochromic for the bright sun problems. The link to the company
above didn't seem to have a way to check on these things.
...lew...