PDA

View Full Version : Can you identify this Bridgeport mill?

k2man
09-04-2014, 12:02 PM
This mill is for sale nearby. I have just recently been researching mills, don't have hardly any experience with them, trying to learn quickly, and need to get one soon as I can't do what I need with my drill press and xy table.

I've been reading and trying to learn the different models and options. I've found other excellent post with good info, but I don't know yet an M head or R head, not sure yet what the quill is, etc.

Can anyone identify what all I'd be getting here?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Toolguy
09-04-2014, 12:04 PM
A picture might be helpful.

k2man
09-04-2014, 12:04 PM
Here's the photoshttp://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/09/04/25eeca1af91f60e37f89ec009fd4fbae.jpghttp://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/09/04/ca90988ea1f1fda71192cc9621e353c6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old Hat
09-04-2014, 12:10 PM
Hey, it's got the treasure door on the side!
R8............ pancake motor (useually Reuland)

I'd take the step-pully drive any day over the noisey nasty variable head.
Smoother-queiter, comon belt replacement, and you can slip the belt for sencitive tapping.

No rim on the foot, might be Textron ? Bridgeport was it?
Plated remanufactured quills?

Toolguy
09-04-2014, 12:21 PM
That one has the short table so X travel is limited. Could be a nice HSM mill depending on price and condition. Newer (and better IMHO) than M head I think this is a J head. The spindle is most likely an R8 with a 3-3/8 quill diam. Most projects can be done on a mill like this. The turret feature somewhat offsets the short table travel.

Old Hat
09-04-2014, 12:24 PM
That one has the short table so X travel is limited. Could be a nice HSM mill depending on price and condition.

I made my living on BP's and copys for years!!!!
Trust me ......
Long tables on knee-mills was an obseEen Idea!

Toolguy
09-04-2014, 12:32 PM
Me too. I think the short table is more proportionally correct. You don't get nearly the sag when it's all the way to one side as with a 42" or 49" table. I think that one is 32" or 36", I forget what the short ones were.

Old Hat
09-04-2014, 12:36 PM
There was one even shorter! 28" I think it was Only ever saw ONE, tryed to buy it with the Gemco but they wouldn't have it!:(

Now early 80's Lagoon (Lagun) optional long 'Y' now that's an imprUvement!;)

k2man
09-04-2014, 12:46 PM
Thanks all for the help. :)

It is a 9 x 36 table - that and step pulley were the only features identified in the ad.

I don't expect that I'll be doing much with the mill except building prototypes, and I don't think I need a large machine - I may want to transport it to Hawai'i soon, so I definitely don't want a 5000# machine.

Can anyone identify any other features that may be a good or bad (able to negotiate the price down) thing?

Old Hat
09-04-2014, 12:54 PM
Can anyone identify any other features that may be a good or bad (able to negotiate the price down) thing?

Watch someone from eastern Europe do it!
None does it better!
On a good day they might get the seller to pay them to take it.

Toolguy
09-04-2014, 12:54 PM
Looks complete (good). Looks rusty (bad) but can be cleaned up. Look for worn out ways, table & saddle not moving smoothly, quill not going up & down smoothly. Under power look for noisy spindle bearings, auto feed not working, noisy gears in head. All bad but fixable.

Old Hat
09-04-2014, 01:06 PM
Handwheels with more than .020" of free-wheeling before table moves.
Deduct $350 .... LoL

flylo
09-04-2014, 03:21 PM
I have the same mill from a school so not much wear. I was going to sell it for $800 then decided to put it & the 11" Logan in the small shop in the house for winter gun work, projects with a few other tools so I don't have to bundle up like an Eskimo to get to the big shop. Machining in my jami's Oh Yeah:cool:
I think it will make you a fine mill & later if you need a DRO for under $400 you can add one & a power feed for about $300.

john hobdeclipe
09-04-2014, 07:01 PM
From here it looks like it has an R8 spindle, which is good. Some Bridgeports have a 30 taper or an Erickson Quick Change 30 spindle. R8 tooling is much less expensive, is easier to find and in my opinion is more versatile.

Search around and try to find a copy of a manual for the step pulley J head. Understand how the back gear controls work so you can test it. Understand how the power feed mechanisms work so you can test that, too. You'll need to know how to engage the feed and how to verify that it disengages properly.

The pics don't show a fine feed handwheel, but it may be in the closet.

johnnyd
09-04-2014, 07:07 PM
Make sure that it hasn't been "lubed" with a "grease gun".

john hobdeclipe
09-04-2014, 07:17 PM
More info:

http://rotordesign.com/serialnumbers.html

and:

http://hardingeus.com/usr/pdf/knee%20mills/seriesipartlist4302plus.pdf

The second link is to a manual for newer variable speed versions, but much of the info you need is there.

_Paul_
09-04-2014, 07:40 PM
You don't get nearly the sag when it's all the way to one side as with a 42" or 49" table.

Very true there is a lot of heavy cast iron hanging in the air with the larger tables, IMHO I think the 36" BP is just about right.

Paul

Doozer
09-04-2014, 09:13 PM
...Longer tables would not be a problem if they would just make the saddles a little longer.
Some CNC versions of the Bridgeport mill have exactly that.

--Doozer