PDA

View Full Version : Enco 1340 switch ?

scotty1982
09-12-2014, 09:35 AM
We have an Enco 1340 lathe. When you flip the switch all it does is humms . In either direction. Could this be the switch or the motor. Thanks for the help.

scotty

Jim2
09-12-2014, 09:42 AM
That sounds like the motor centrifugal start switch is sticking to me. Sometimes you can knock it loose by rapping on the end of the motor with a mallet, wrench, block of wood, whatever comes to hand. Failing that you'd need to pull the motor apart to pull the contacts apart.

Of course that's only a stop-gap measure. It will need replacement eventually. . . .

Jim

RichR
09-12-2014, 10:29 AM
That sounds like the motor centrifugal start switch is sticking to me. Sometimes you can knock it loose by rapping on the end of the motor with a mallet, wrench, block of wood, whatever comes to hand. Failing that you'd need to pull the motor apart to pull the contacts apart.

Of course that's only a stop-gap measure. It will need replacement eventually. . . .

Jim

Or maybe the starting capacitor is shot?

Glug
09-12-2014, 10:33 AM
I use that same lathe, and agree with Jim.

In my case the start switch is rather exposed and right under the motor fan cover. You could remove the motor fan cover and examine it. That fan inlet is very poorly placed and tends to suck chips right off the cutting tool! Those chips can cause shorts, and long strands can tangle in the switch arms. Not having a backguard on the lathe really makes it worse.

The motor air inlet needs to have a screen fitted. You can likely service the switch (and start cap) without removing the motor from the lathe. Removing the motor is way more work.

Before it failed the start switch would stay engaged too long on startup, making a growling noise. Probably as a result of debris, the start switch was randomly engaging while the lathe was operating. You could not hear it in an obvious way, but that engagement had a significant impact on surface finish. The engagement of the start circuit also tends to overheat the start capacitor. In our case that is what failed, as symtom of the switch problem. If your cap has not yet failed you may wish to pro-actively replace it if you think your situation is similar.

The local motor shop said this is a common failure on Jet lathes. Probably due to the lack of screening and inlet/switch location.

scotty1982
09-12-2014, 10:43 AM
Well it just got worse... I did tap on the end of the motor with a mallet ... nothing. Then I wacked the chuck just out of frustration . And the humm went away.. Along with the power. No Jog function. and when I hit the switch nothing.. not even a hummm.

s

lakeside53
09-12-2014, 11:05 AM
You might have just tripped a thermal cutout. Irrespective, the motor needs looking at (start switch, capacitor etc) or replacement. If you aren't electrically inclined, take it to an electric motor shop (if they still exist).

Glug
09-12-2014, 01:20 PM
When the starter cap starts to fail the motor can sometimes be started by giving the chuck a shove. Though you risk letting the smoke out of the cap and that will really stink up the joint.

Toolguy
09-12-2014, 03:13 PM
There are 3 possibilities here. The switch at the end of the rod below the carriage, the contactors in the electrical box, and the motor. On my lathe like that I have replaced all of them over 18 years.

A couple of times it was the centrifugal start switch on the motor. In that case, I took the motor apart and sanded the burnt spots off and got it going. Finally replaced the Chinese motor with a Baldor one.

A couple of times it was the switch on the front at the bottom. I reworked it a couple of times, finally got a new one.

A few times it was the contactors in the electrical panel. I replaced those. They are all identical from all the suppliers, just rebadged. They are all made in France. Just get the cheapest ones you can find.

GNM109
09-12-2014, 07:52 PM
I have a 1994 Enco 13-40. It has a 2 hp Chinese 240 VAC, single phase motor. I had the same issue about ten years ago. The motor hummed and wouldn't start. I recall that I replaced both motor capacitors and the problem was solved. I don't recall the values.