PDA

View Full Version : OT: Frontier Pickups

dkaustin
09-18-2014, 03:38 PM
http://media.ed.edmunds-media.com/nissan/frontier/2001/oem/2001_nissan_frontier_extended-cab-pickup_sc-v6_rq_oem_1_500.jpg

OK, been seeing these around town, and it's got me wondering...

If Nissan builds Frontier pickups, who builds the frontiest?

...and what the heck makes a truck fronty, anyway?

Toolguy
09-18-2014, 03:51 PM
It would seem that someone at Nissan is a bit confused, as they have labeled the back as the frontier end. Foreign languages are so difficult...
My guess would be that the Dolly Parton type pickups are the frontiest.:cool:

Mike Nash
09-18-2014, 07:00 PM
And here I sit wondering how I never even noticed that before! Thanks, I think ;)

vpt
09-18-2014, 07:12 PM
Nissan built a truck?

topct
09-18-2014, 07:14 PM
OK, been seeing these around town, and it's got me wondering...

If Nissan builds Frontier pickups, who builds the frontiest?

Perhaps the ease of mounting a machine gun.

justanengineer
09-18-2014, 11:15 PM

A truck thats made by Ford and improved by Chevrolet.

http://www.grease-monkey-novel.com/Frontychev%202.jpg

kendall
09-18-2014, 11:22 PM
A truck thats made by Ford and improved by Chevrolet.

http://www.grease-monkey-novel.com/Frontychev%202.jpg

But then they started making chevies and lost it all.

thaiguzzi
09-19-2014, 12:57 AM
Nissan built a truck?

Yeah, they've built lots of trucks. Some have been very good. I owned a Frontier for a few years. Tough one ton pick ups. Recently in a garage here having the front wheel tracking done on my Hilux pick up (Toyota), and a new-ish Nissan Navarra (replacement Frontier) was in for a routine oil and filter change. I noticed the modified rear heavy duty suspension and wheels, and asked the Thai owner/driver how much he carries. He replied casually - 6 tons !!! In a 1 ton pick up. That's 6000 kgs payload in a designed for 1000kgs carrying capacity. Gotta love it here...

justanengineer
09-19-2014, 01:14 AM
But then they started making chevies and lost it all.

:P They actually made Chevys first. Some folks say the only reason they made the famous Frontys was to give Ford a chance, but thats a bit of myth too...

Rustybolt
09-19-2014, 08:18 AM
Nissan built a truck?

And they're going to put a Cummins six in their new Titan.

Willy
09-19-2014, 09:30 AM
And they're going to put a Cummins six in their new Titan.

Actually it's the new Cummins 5 liter V-8 (http://cumminsengines.com/cummins-5l-v8-turbo-diesel) that was originally intended for the Dodge 1500 that Nissan will use for the Titan.
The 5.9-6.7L B-series as used in the heavy duty Dodges is a little too much engine for the 1/2 ton market segment.

justanengineer
09-19-2014, 11:08 AM
Actually it's the new Cummins 5 liter V-8 (http://cumminsengines.com/cummins-5l-v8-turbo-diesel) that was originally intended for the Dodge 1500 that Nissan will use for the Titan.
The 5.9-6.7L B-series as used in the heavy duty Dodges is a little too much engine for the 1/2 ton market segment.

Not to knock it, but count me among those curious to see how the 30 year old engine that nobody else wanted really does. I work with several ex-Cummins employees who worked on them, its supposed to be a pretty decent engine that never really garnered the attention they feel it deserved.

Willy
09-19-2014, 12:34 PM
Not to knock it, but count me among those curious to see how the 30 year old engine that nobody else wanted really does. I work with several ex-Cummins employees who worked on them, its supposed to be a pretty decent engine that never really garnered the attention they feel it deserved.

Yes, I'm curious as well. I'm also curious to see how well the VM 3L V-6 holds up in the new 1500 Ram pickups.

Chrysler had originally intended to use the 5L Cummins V-8 but pulled out when the economy started to go into the tank. After Fiat took over it was almost a certainty that any new engine destined for the Ram would be sourced from somewhere underneath the Fiat family of companies.

I"m kind of confused about the 30 year old design statement. Do you mean to imply that the 5L V-8 Cummins is almost as old as the B series? It was always my understanding that this engine was conceived in the early 2000's.

http://www.equipmentworld.com/2014-innovations-cummins/

I realize you're "in the loop" more than I so I'm curious, inquiring minds want to know.:)

kendall
09-19-2014, 08:24 PM
I'd be happy with a 5 liter diesel in my f150. Was always disappointed that all they put them in are the f250 and up.

justanengineer
09-19-2014, 10:09 PM
I"m kind of confused about the 30 year old design statement. Do you mean to imply that the 5L V-8 Cummins is almost as old as the B series? It was always my understanding that this engine was conceived in the early 2000's.

I realize you're "in the loop" more than I so I'm curious, inquiring minds want to know.:)

Taken with a few grains of salt on this one Willy as this is admittedly 3rd+ hand knowledge told by an engineer I consider a mentor/friend who was hired in the late 80s specifically for the B-Dodge integration and worked for them until a few years ago, some of which was told to him by mentors/friends who lived through the earlier somewhat sordid history. I cant confirm every detail, but none of the other Cummins guys I work with have ever disagreed.

My understanding is that ~1980'ish Cummins management decided for undisclosed, likely political reasons that their current staff wasnt a good choice for developing small diesels so they poached quite a few engineers from Perkins and built a second tech center in Columbus to prevent issues with the existing large engine staff. The V8 and B series were then developed simultaneously, the V8 for the automotive market and the B series for the on-road medium duty and industrial markets. In the mid-80s they started selling B's into the industrial markets but couldnt sell either on-road until Chrysler approached them with a serious lack of truck sales and desperate to prove they were the toughest/most powerful pickemup on the road. When shown the engines available Chrysler pushed for the B despite objections by Cummins engineers that it wouldnt fit the existing trucks, and a smart Cummins exec sold them a significantly more expensive engine. Chrysler paid for several test engines but couldnt find a way to fit them to the current truck in a manufacturable manner. They did however seriously beef up the existing truck's chassis and driveline to accomodate the larger engine. Several of the beefy test trucks were then sent to Cummins, and Cummins staff figured out how to fit the B into the Dodge in a way that was actually possible to mass-produce. B history continues from there....The V8 design OTOH languished unused but dusted off every few years whenever an OEM showed interest. Supposedly, a few were fit into both Fords and Chevys at one point or another and in the process the engine was updated with new materials and technology. At some point or another ~2000 a V6 was developed as well and both were fit into various test vehicles, including a V6 Durango which my mentor spent quite awhile developing.

Willy
09-19-2014, 11:12 PM

Yow Ling
09-20-2014, 12:48 AM
Here is the flashest Nissan ute you can get over here, http://dne.co.nz/news/automotive/nissans-trump-card-the-navara-stx-550 Renault V6 common rail diesel 170kW 550nM

Mike Burch
09-20-2014, 01:14 AM
Nissan built a truck?

Nissan have been building trucks for many years.
About a year ago I traded in my second-hand Japanese import, a 1994 Nissan "Datsun", which was a one-tonner with a 1.6-litre carburetted petrol motor and a five-speed manual gearbox. The name was confusing, since Datsun cars had been sold here for many years. The truck was willing enough, but not what you'd call powerful, and was also ridiculously uncomfortable.
(Incidentally, Japanese second-hand imports are very common here in New Zealand. Like us, Japan drives on the left, so their vehicles too are right-hand drive. They tend to trade their cars in for current models rather more frequently than we do, so have more used vehicles than they can comfortably consume.)

Willy
09-20-2014, 08:27 AM
[QUOTE=Mike Burch;938112................
................ They tend to trade their cars in for current models rather more frequently than we do, so have more used vehicles than they can comfortably consume.)

[/QUOTE]In Japan vehicles must undergo a costly recertification process when they are three years old, this must then be done every two years after. Thus it becomes prohibitively expensive to keep cars after they reach the age of 3.
This combined with heavy incentives from the domestic auto manufactures results in a very large glut of some very nice unwanted used cars that the Japanese market cannot or does not want to absorb.
It also serves as a means for the Japanese government to support what is arguably one of their largest industries.

A very large and lucrative industry of used Japanese vehicles has now sprung up in many countries because of this. Even all the way to North America you will find right hand drive Japanese cars that are a result of this legislation. Although in Canada the cars must be at least 15 years old in order to allow importation, in the US I believe they must be 25 years old.
Countries like Russia, Africa, South America, etc. have more lax import legislation and consequently absorb a large number of used Japanese vehicles.

vpt
09-20-2014, 09:19 AM
500K miles on this little old 6.9

https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/640x480q90/198/campingand86dieselandai.jpg

The box has never been used.

https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/640x480q90/839/campingand86dieselandai.jpg

Jon Heron
09-20-2014, 10:38 AM
WOW thats a beaut Andy!
I have an 87 3/4 ton with the extenda cab, it only has 220000km on the 6.9 but the body is falling off of it... what a shame.
All the salt they put on the roads around here in winter gives everything on them bad body cancer..
I love that 6.9 international, I smile every time it rattles to life.
Cheers,
Jon