PDA

View Full Version : Q: How is 1/4-28 tooling used?

Rex
09-20-2014, 06:49 PM
I have acquired a lot of 1/4-28 tooling - drills, countersinks, reamers mostly. They all have 1/4-28 male thread. I also have several micro-adjustable "sleeves" that mount these tools.
Are these only used in these sleeves, or is there a standard adapter to fit a drill chuck?
I have been looking for such an adapter, but I am not finding anything. I am either using the wrong terms or missing the whole point!

So what else besides the cutter buts and the adjustable countersink sleeves is used with these?

dalee100
09-20-2014, 07:10 PM
Hi,

Pictures would be helpful. But I will assume you are talking about tooling that screws into a body of some sort. You might need to collect the bodies they screw into. Or make them your self.

Dalee

KMoffett
09-20-2014, 07:32 PM
1/4-28 threaded shank tooling is used on air powered aircraft drills.

Ken

CalM
09-20-2014, 07:33 PM
I have acquired a lot of 1/4-28 tooling - drills, countersinks, reamers mostly. They all have 1/4-28 male thread. I also have several micro-adjustable "sleeves" that mount these tools.
Are these only used in these sleeves, or is there a standard adapter to fit a drill chuck?
I have been looking for such an adapter, but I am not finding anything. I am either using the wrong terms or missing the whole point!

So what else besides the cutter buts and the adjustable countersink sleeves is used with these?

The 1/4-28 threaded drills, c'sinks and reamers are used in avaition fabrication tooling.

Check "Aircraft Spruce" etc. for the tools, adapters and cages that go along withg the air tools that drive them.

Handy little buggers when fitted to a close quarters, right angle drill motor ;-)

ahidley
09-20-2014, 07:44 PM
Get a piece of 3/8 hex and just drill and tap 1/4-28 in it. That will fit in a 3/8 drill chuck. Pretty simple really.

Rex
09-20-2014, 08:17 PM
I figured on making a simple adapter, but I was curious why they were not readily available from the vendors that sell the bits.

Rex
09-20-2014, 08:28 PM
OK, Aircraft Spruce has them. They just call them extensions.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/topages/drillThreaded.php

Cheap too! Thanks for the tip.

Rex

Mike Folks
09-20-2014, 10:26 PM
www.browntool.com is another supplier.