PDA

View Full Version : Cheap good quality metal marking without laser, cnc, etro-etching.

superUnknown
09-21-2014, 03:21 PM
Gentlemen,
Please forgive my shameless self promotion but here's my instructable to indelibly mark metal enclosures with a printer and ferric chloride.
This technique comes in handy!

http://cdn.instructables.com/FII/H64A/I09LTRQM/FIIH64AI09LTRQM.MEDIUM.jpg

Easy-Permanent-Print-on-Metal-at-Home (http://www.instructables.com/id/Easy-Permanent-Print-on-Metal-at-Home/)

MrSleepy
09-21-2014, 04:49 PM
Before I started using 3m solder resist , I used to use PCB toner transfer paper to transfer lands etc ...then spray and bake using Vitrea glass paint. The transferred toner stops the paint bonding..making it easy to wipe off of the lands etc.

So in your case for an embossed look ...you could apply the toner design to the clean metal lid...then spray paint the metal with the water based vitrea.(I used a air brush).
Then cook it at 130c until the paint bakes on... taking a glass enamel look...then use acetone,thinners etc..to remove the non bonded areas.

Rob

doctordoctor
09-21-2014, 05:11 PM
question:

can you leave the masks in place and repeat the etching process over and over to reach a depth of say 30 thou? I need to make small text in relief for an injection mold and that would work awesome

superUnknown
09-21-2014, 07:28 PM
I don't think that would work.
30 thou is pretty deep. There's nothing to prevent the sides of the letters getting etched, so might not look very sharp...

doctordoctor
09-21-2014, 07:50 PM
I don't think that would work.
30 thou is pretty deep. There's nothing to prevent the sides of the letters getting etched, so might not look very sharp...

I wonder if you did it, determined how far the sides etched, and then took that into consideration when you made the mask (make it smaller), if you could end up with consistent results and hit a target depth and width

CalM
09-21-2014, 10:01 PM
Gentlemen,
Please forgive my shameless self promotion but here's my instructable to indelibly mark metal enclosures with a printer and ferric chloride.
This technique comes in handy!

]

I can tell that some practice is required!

iMisspell
09-21-2014, 10:07 PM
hahaha.... i just got done installing two Arduinos, a lcd, keypad, 7-segment display and a bunch of buttons and switches into the same box/incloser.

Enjoyable and crafty like nomal, thanks superUnknown.