PDA

View Full Version : Solo. Germany in November

camdigger
09-22-2014, 05:25 PM
We're planning a week in Germany in November. What is there to see?

We'll be starting and ending in Frankfurt....

mattthemuppet
09-22-2014, 06:10 PM
lots of Germans?

I've always wanted to visit Berlin, especially from a WW2 and cold war perspective. Bavaria would be beautiful that time of year, if a bit monotone. Very friendly locals too AND they have a sense of humour!

boslab
09-22-2014, 07:38 PM
You need German lessons
1. Ein bier
2. Danker
You now speak fluent bar!
Mark

Guido
09-22-2014, 08:08 PM
There is a super museum of Nik Otto's works, inventions, models in Holzhausen, near Frankfurt. If'n I was back in the area, the museum would be on my agenda. Really puts one to thinking.

--G

mickeyf
09-22-2014, 09:15 PM
Not wanting to stay right in the big city of Frankfort, we enjoyed Aschaffenburg, not far along the river.

hwingo
09-23-2014, 02:43 AM
There are many things to do in Deutschland. If flying into Frankfurt, go south to Schweinfurt and visit the famed SKF ball bearing factory. Also Schweinfurt's ball bearing factories were "hard hit" by US planes during WWII so the town is significant from a historical point of view. Not far at all from Schweinfurt are border towns of East Germany. Infamous old border crossings are still there and a few are well preserved to include watch towers, paved trails within "no-man's-land" (deadly ground between the east and west) as well as a Stassi HQ. At one point you will cross over into the former East and into a town called Thüringen (which has a beautiful water fall called Trusefall). Just outside Trusefall was where the East German Boxing Team trained. One town further takes you into the town (forgot the name) where the large-ring German Mauser was fabricated. All this is but only a 2.5 hr drive from Schweinfurt.

Going south from Schweinfurt, you can go through Nuremberg as you make your way to Munchen, (better known by Americans as Munich). As a side note, Nuremberg is where the War Crime Trials took place and there is much to see in that city. Just before entering Munich proper, stop and visit the infamous POW Camp, Dachau. It's a very moving site! While at the Frankfurt Airport stop at any Reisebuero (travel agency and there are many) and get all the information you need (even in English). The famed Oktoberfest occurs in Munich. No more than an hour's drive south of Munich is a lovely, beautiful town called Garmish. After spending many years in Deutschland, my preferred town is Garmisch (winter, summer, spring, or fall). My favorite city is Berlin. Berlin place is HUGE. All of Nuremberg, Frankfurt, Munich, and Cologne will easily fit inside the city of Berlin with room to spare. After the war, Berlin was re-built, brick by brick, by German women. All their men were either killed or incarcerated in US POW camps so the women took on the daunting task of rebuilding Berlin. In Berlin, should you go there, you MUST visit the final remains of "Check Point Charlie" ...... the crossing were so many were killed attempting to escape the East. Somewhere around 2002, "Check Point Charlie" was demolished but there is a monument there as a reminder. The old KGB HQ is also in Berlin and you will find that on the former East side of Berlin.

Back to Garmish, this Alpine town is nestled beautifully in the German Alps. While there, you must take the Tram to the top of the Zugspitze .... the tallest point in Germany. It's almost 10,000 feet high and a portion of the peak is in Austria and the other part in Germany. They have some nice restaurants at the top and you can have a Wrust and a nice German beer. The Winter Olympic Stadium resides in Garmish and a fun place to visit. In back of the Olympic stadium is a nice paved walk-way along side of and into the Partnachklamm (a deep gorge with a beautiful fast flowing, clear blue alpine stream flowing through the gorge (klamm).

On your way back to Frankfurt, just after leaving Garmish, take the "Romantic Highway" to Neuschwanstein Castle (the one from which Disney patterned the Tinker Bell castle). Spend an hour or so there and then travel on to the "Black Forest" where prized German Cuckoo Clocks are made. Afterward, make your way to Frankfurt. All this, with exception of a visit to Berlin, can easily be done in a week. I've done it many time but after living there for so long I know exactly where I am going and how to get there :-)). There are far more things to do and see in Deutschland but if you plan your trip, you can pull this off and have a lot of wonderful memories.

Harold

Lew Hartswick
09-23-2014, 07:31 AM
Heidelberg is another very nice city and for the "ancient" part Worms. (At least it was in 1956) :-)
...lew...

janvanruth
09-23-2014, 07:39 AM
Wikipedia is your friend.
You will be searching for Frankfurt am Main not Frankfurt an der Oder.
The locals will know the sights.
November can bring any wheather from fairly nice to quit bad.
Rent a, smaller, car with a navigational aid to get you from one desination to the other but dont use it for short distances in town.
Driving, and parking in the cities isnt fun at all. Get a cab. Driving drinking is heavily punished.
Roadmaps from ADAC are the best.
Smaller, family-run hotels away from the city centre will provide hospitality, good food and local knowledge.
Creditcards arent as widely accepted as in the USA, cash will get you everywhere except for car-rental.
Bring your 110/230 volt adapter as they may not be readily available.
The most important word in german is "bitte" = please.
Start every conversation with bitte and end with "danke sehr"=tanks alot.

I like the itinerary hwingo made, heading south, but you will be pressed for time.

Have a good time.

Royldean
09-23-2014, 08:10 AM
Nurburgring:

http://www.nuerburgring.de/en/drives-fun/drives/tourist-rides/tourist-rides-nordschleife.html

MrSleepy
09-23-2014, 08:20 AM
Next year I'll be visiting a friend in Kaiserslauten...so I can visit the Austrian,Hungarian and German F1 GPs.... but via Hamburg so I can visit the minature train model world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yB2UlEOg-sg

Its a fair distance from Frankfurt...but the German train network could make it doable.

Rob

fjk
09-23-2014, 09:33 AM
infamous POW Camp, Dachau. It's a very moving site!

Dachau was a concentration/forced labor camp, not a POW camp. That said, it is _very_ moving...
But otherwise I agree with and heartily second (and even third) everything you said!

Another fun time to go to Munich is for Fasching, Carnival, some time in Feb.
It's a time when _everyone_ lets their hair down. Once I had to go to Munich for a 2-week
business trip. My schedule meant that there was a 3-week window in February and suggested either weeks 1&2 or 2&3 of that window. My Munich hosts said that "Week 1 is OK, Week 3 is OK, but week 2, nope... It's Fasching; we all come in to work late, leave early, drink all night, and are hung over during the day... So why don't you make it a 3-week trip and join us?" So I did, and on their D-Mark since they were paying my expenses :-)

Ein Bier Bitte!

Danke
Frank

loose nut
09-23-2014, 10:27 AM
You guys forgot the most obvious place to visit, Blackforest's barn. See if the girls are really there.

thaiguzzi
09-23-2014, 10:32 AM
Aaaah, Munich, the memories. Lived there between 79 and 82. Drinking... Jeesus Christ. First time i ever spent a night in the cells - drunk and disorderly, damaging public property etc. Woke up in the cells in the morning - "how did i get here? What have i done now?" That was after 3 Mass Krugs (about 6 pints in a 2 pint mug/pitcher) at the Maibock Fest, the Spring version of Octoberfest. Less commercial, stronger brews. Drinking AND working was considered the norm back then, even office workers had beer machines in their place of work. Those were the days. Hic...

hwingo
09-23-2014, 11:45 AM
Dachau was a concentration/forced labor camp, not a POW camp. That said, it is _very_ moving...
But otherwise I agree with and heartily second (and even third) everything you said!

Ein Bier Bitte!

Danke
Frank

You are correct when pointing out my grossly under-spoken "characterization" of Dachau. It was a forced labor, concentration camp and I might add it was but only one of several Death Camps located in Deutschland. With that said, it's well worth seeing the remains of that "camp".

Harold

Royldean
09-23-2014, 12:12 PM
Drinking AND working was considered the norm back then, even office workers had beer machines in their place of work. Those were the days. Hic...

I worked for a German company from 2000-2004, and during that time they had a vending machine on the production floor of their Black Forest facility that was loaded with beer. I've been told that is no longer the case, but at least there is evidence that the good 'ol days weren't that long ago! :)

CarlByrns
09-23-2014, 12:17 PM
I've never been there, but I'm surprised no one has mentioned Nurburgring- the race track that anyone can drive on for a modest fee. All the supercars are tested there as are a lot of pure racing cars. Gearhead heaven.