PDA

View Full Version : Machine Rebuilding & Scraping Class in Portland Oregon 2015

Richard King
09-28-2014, 03:42 PM
To all who have written over the years wanting to attend one of my scraping classes in the NW USA, I am advertising to have a class in on MON - WED Jan 26 - 28. 2015. The class will be held in one of the biggest machine shops on the west coast.

Steel Castings + Wear Parts Worldwide by Columbia Steel Columbia Steel Casting Co., Inc.
10425 N. Bloss Ave. Portland, OR 97203-6143

http://www.columbiasteel.com/

I taught a class there around 10 years ago, and it will be a real treat to the students. The class will be held in their machine shop where they have HUGE 20 foot plus. Vertical Boring Lathes, planer mills, lathes, grinders, Horizontal Boring Mills plus a regular sized tool room.. They also are a steel foundry and pour and make drag-line chain, rock and car crushers. You will be required to wear steel toed shoes, safety glasses, hard hats in required areas, etc. When I was there last time they gave me a tour of the foundry, their huge pattern shop where they have all types of wood working machines, the shop where they pour the chain, The loops are cast all in one continuous piece, pretty cool how it works. Just that tour would be worth the cost. Like I said before they want it to be a 3 day - Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday Class. There is a possibility of making it a 5 day class if enough want it to happen.

The class will be the same class I always teach. Day 1) Start at 7:00 AM - Meet and greet, 2 to 3 hour class room session. Go to shop and start to hand scrape small cast iron bars that I furnish to 20 PPI and then learn to hand 1/2 moon flake, sharpen carbide blades, . Day 2) Learn to use the BIAX Power Scraper and Power 1/2 moon flaker, By noon we usually are finishing up and then you can start to scrape your personal project that you bring. Normally people bring an angle block, straight-edge, lathe compound, Bridgeport table and saddle, etc.

The class is fluid and we have several Q & A sessions, I will work along side of you and show you how to rebuild and scrape them. I will ask them if we can stay an extra couple of days if enough of you want to stay. this really helps as if you have a machine part it is impossible to finish the part. i will also show you how to straighten a gib, glue Rulon or Turcite, scrape the wear strip material, level and align a lathe, check and set a tapered gib and many tricks of the trade i have learned with my 45+ years of being a machine rebuilder.

I furnish several hand scraper, several BIAX Scrapers and flaker, blades, Glendo Carbide Grinder to sharpen the blades, Inks, stones, etc. If you don't have any tools or a project I can supply everything. This will be a really cool class.

One of the students who attended the Horby Sweden class did the following You Tube.
I was a bit silly at the beginning as the guys in the background were goofing around.

Send me a message here or contact me for more info and to get in the mailing list. Richard@Handscraping.com

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzXZ-0EOTNw

Richard King
10-02-2014, 03:16 PM
We just had 3 students sign up today. 4 slots left. I have decided to choose Jan 26 week to do the class. 3 days for now, but If others want to stay for 1 or 2 days more, I am willing and able :-) Rich
To reserve a slot you need to send a down payment check. PM me or write me at the above Email. Rich

Richard King
10-06-2014, 08:53 PM
Just an update. We have 6 who said the deposit check is in the mail....so we have room for 1 or 2 more. Rich

Richard King
11-17-2014, 01:27 AM
The class has 8 attendee's and have room for possibly 1 or 2 more. Dates now are Jan 26, 27, 28 and possibly 29 and 30. Write me at Richard@handscraping.com or PM me here. If you have signed up please email me with PORTLAND Class written in subject line. Put your name, address, phone number and email in the text. Thanks. Rich

Richard King
11-26-2014, 12:29 AM
The Class is full. Hopefully we can do another class there next years at Columbia. Or I have had some interest from members who live in the LA or surrounding area. If someone has a shop and would like to host a class next summer of Fall Please PM me. If you have an interest anywhere in the USA of hosting a class, please let me know.
Hosts are free. Rich

Here are pictures of a class we had a few years ago:
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general/rich-king-s-scraping-machine-rebuilding-class-picture-heavy-230333/

and Of a class we had last August in Sweden. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzXZ-0EOTNw

Richard King
12-13-2014, 10:25 AM
To all attendee's I will be Priority mailing the DVD and booklet today. If you do not receive it by Wednesday 12/17, let me know. Rich