PDA

View Full Version : Different, changing?, designations on carbide insert labels

RussZHC
10-04-2014, 09:25 PM
So most of the carbide inserts I have are small CCMT.

I am used to seeing labeled as example, CCMT 21.51, CCMT 060204, occasionally from Europe CCMT 2 (1,5)1 with all three of those being the same size/radius CCMT insert.

I have now started to come across CCMT 2 - 1 (that's a dash between not a decimal point) but also CCMT 2 - 1 - 14 (dash between the 2 and the 1 and between the 1 and the 14) and CCMT 060204 - 14 so far I have only found them on ISCAR inserts.

I get the difference in place holding of the decimal and the comma (regional, i.e. North American practice v. European practice) but if that dash between the 2 and the 1 takes the place of the parenthesis, is there not some information missing? and whats with the "14" ?
I know some manufacturers add their own sort of internal codes but this did not seem to have anything to do with finish/use/wiper designations.

I am asking as my best deals have come from EBay and I found a whole bunch more "hits" by using those previously unknown to me designations as search term. Some EBay ads had the first two (ISO and ANSI), some had ISO and this new but no ANSI and none had ANSI and this "new" code.

Thanks for any insight.

JoeLee
10-04-2014, 10:37 PM
They could have been made special for some factory.

JL.............

tmarks11
10-05-2014, 10:42 AM
The thing that bothers me about ebay "carbide" inserts with "TiN coating"... is that I could manufacture a bunch of carbon steel triangles on my mill, spray paint them gold, and sell them for $6/each as "carbide". With some of the fakes coming out of China, I gotta believe that their are some entrepenurs who have figured that out too.

Or have figured out they can take a box of cheap import inserts, slap a Kennametal or Iscar label on them, and sell them for 3x the going price. Do you really know what you are buying?

Yes, I have a drawer full of inserts off of ebay, but it still worries me. None of them has yet turned to a molten puddle when machining.

Back OT: that is ISCAR's new proprietary numbering system. The 14 you were wondering about is the name of the chip breaker. ???? Yeah, me too. I get "SM" and "PF" chip breakers, but "14" just is confusing.Look here:

http://www.iscar.com/eCatalog/Family.aspx?fnum=35&cat=5504414&mapp=TG&app=10&GFSTYP=%20I&pageType=3
http://www.carbidedepot.com/Showcase.aspx?ManufacturerID=36&CategoryID=394

2 is the insert size (1/4", 3 is 3/8").
1 is the corner radius (0.016, 0 is 0.008, 2 is 0.032)
14 is the chip breaker style (??, others are SM, PF).

RussZHC
10-05-2014, 05:50 PM
With some of the fakes coming out of China, I gotta believe that their are some entrepreneurs who have figured that out too.

with you on that, there have been any number of sales I have passed on...and have also noticed the last 8 months to a year the number of carbide insert sellers directly from China has jumped A LOT, Hong Kong as well.
Worse, in a way, it also makes you wonder about the supply chain for local bricks and mortar shops, a new supplier to them may be getting "fakes" further up the line