PDA

View Full Version : Turning a log splitter into a can baler.

rlb
10-07-2014, 08:14 PM
Guys I am a bit of a newcomer despite my age but I bought the welder and the plasma cutter and I plan to learn how to use it. Here is a project I found actually useful. It turns a log splitter into a can baler which turns 266 aluminum cans into a 10 inch cube. Yea ... I know ... sometimes projects work out too darn well. Ran out of cans and had to get my friends to help out before I even finished the thing.

http://youtu.be/hYLRnlJ9NKE

vpt
10-07-2014, 08:37 PM
That is very neat! I have the same log splitter and thought about making a chip compactor attachment much like yours for taking car of my lathe chips.

alanganes
10-07-2014, 08:45 PM
Wow nice build! You sure have thought through all of the operations here, I like the way you have worked out the extraction.
Thanks for sharing.
Welcome to the board.

SGW
10-07-2014, 09:08 PM
Very nice! How much does the 10" cube weigh?

JRouche
10-07-2014, 09:23 PM
I like that crusher. And I happen to have a similar log splitter. Right now I use a trash compactor but it doesnt crush as tight. JR

Royldean
10-08-2014, 07:12 AM
Very nice! How much does the 10" cube weigh?

Based on 266 cans, I'd bet right around 8.3 lbs. (3.8kg)

SirLesPatterson
10-08-2014, 07:25 AM
Nice job there. I really like it. Around here we have to pay a $0.05 deposit and they won't accept crushed cans, have to be intact to redeem. I think if I had that I would crush them anyhow for fun and then find other things to crush too. (Kids toys they leave in the yard... oops).

CCWKen
10-08-2014, 02:43 PM
As Les mentioned, you should check with your local recycler and see if they accept crushed cans. They don't around here either.

For some reason I don't see a picture--Just a large blank area in your post. Where is the photo hosted? It must be in one my blocked sites or something.

ulav8r
10-08-2014, 03:51 PM
CCWKen, I think it is a video link, a picture is supposed to display and when you click on it the video plays. I see the same thing as you, nothing. In my case , they stopped displaying after an update to Win7 and IE10 in late August//Early September.

Doc Nickel
10-08-2014, 04:33 PM
The places that don't accept crushed cans, do so because they bale them in a similar manner. Already-crushed cans don't bale- they don't "interlock" properly when wadded together- and the bales can fall apart or shed cans. That means the recyclers have to bag, wrap or crate the bales, which means extra costs- or they risk having a bale on a truck shed loose cans all along the freeway.

Doc.

CCWKen
10-08-2014, 06:11 PM
CCWKen, I think it is a video link, a picture is supposed to display and when you click on it the video plays. I see the same thing as you, nothing. In my case , they stopped displaying after an update to Win7 and IE10 in late August//Early September.
Found the error:
": A download in this page was blocked by Tracking Protection.
http://www.youtube.com/embed/hYLRnlJ9NKE?wmode=opaque"

rlb
10-08-2014, 06:15 PM
It weighs 8 lb. I took 10 cubes to Blaze Recycling last week and got back $48.60. Otherwise I never could have fit that many cans in my Jeep.

davidh
10-09-2014, 11:15 AM
looked like a fun idea but really, for $48.60 ? and driving a "economy" to drive jeep ?
way to much time spent for that.. .. .. just sayin'
I squeeze my shorter with one of them wall mounted hand things and toss um in a plastic garbage bag. when the bag's full I drop them in a cage by the local high school.. .. .. they're happy to get them, im happy to give them.
simple !

Paul Alciatore
10-09-2014, 02:24 PM
I love it. Just like a trash masher, it turns 8 pounds of cans into...

Wait for it...

Wait for it...

Wait for it...

8 pounds of crushed cans.

Seriously, it is worth it just for the fun of watching it work. So I guess it's like a bug zapper too.

I love it!

rlb
10-09-2014, 05:06 PM
Yea it was fun designing, making and running it. Not only did it teach me how to use a MIG but the 5 tons of force will teach you a good weld from a bad one quick. I gave the money to the friend in the video since he managed to scrounge enough cans to test it. Someone whose business generates a ton of cans might find it more practical.

Paul Alciatore
10-09-2014, 08:52 PM
I think a business person would like a device that would operate with fewer man-hours. Perhaps a sensor on the feed bin and when enough cans have been tossed in it would do an automatic crush cycle. Then, when the cube is big enough, it would do an automatic eject cycle and toss it out to the side before going back to crushing. It could work with your basic design. Oh, and add some safety features. Perhaps make the feed bin long enough to prevent any chance of an arm or leg reaching down to the crushing area.

Yea it was fun designing, making and running it. Not only did it teach me how to use a MIG but the 5 tons of force will teach you a good weld from a bad one quick. I gave the money to the friend in the video since he managed to scrounge enough cans to test it. Someone whose business generates a ton of cans might find it more practical.

Mike Burch
10-09-2014, 10:53 PM
Based on 266 cans, I'd bet right around 8.3 lbs. (3.8kg)

OTOH, a solid 10" cube of aluminium weighs around 34kg (76lbs), so I guess there could still be quite a bit of air in the crushed cans block. (No offense meant, of course, RLB - it's a neat bit of engineering. I wondered about building a trash compactor when I lived on a yacht.)

Seastar
10-10-2014, 08:53 AM
I got a big kick out of watching the "can crusher" work.
I lived on a yacht that had a household trash masher installed.
Problem was the bale weighed too much and it was a very long walk down the dock to the dumpster.
I could handle 8 pounds.
Good job!
Bill

krutch
10-11-2014, 02:15 PM
I have an air operated home built crusher. Only one can at a time, though. And I thought it the height of laziness when a buddy gave it to me. He didn't have air power and it sat in his garage for a long time before he gave it to me. I use it often, guess I got lazy! Thing is, I have to wash the cans to avoid sticky crap and gnats around the shop. And I usually remove the pull tabs for some program that supports a couple of local gals who need medical work for their conditions. So not too lazy, perhaps. Still, I get more cans to the dog food bag when crushed. Makes for a worth while trip to the recycler when that time comes. And the saved tabs help those girls in some way, not really sure how that works. Something on the order of the school playground equipment deal once popular in the States.