PDA

View Full Version : Cool tool

Evan
05-25-2004, 12:59 PM
I just recieved in the mail this morning a very cool tool. It is a six inch dial caliper that also measures in metric. The dial has two hands, one black hand for .001" per graduation and one red hand that indicates .02mm per grad. The two hands turn at different speeds and indicate on different concentric scales. The body is graduated in decimal inches on one side and mm on the other. Not only does it measure in either system but it makes for easy instant conversion from one to the other. Cost $46.50 CDN from Lee Valley. Very nice quality hardened SS.

J Tiers
05-25-2004, 01:09 PM
I have had a German made one like that at work for 20 years. Very convenient. It's a Fowler / Helios.

Don't you all go and buy those folks out before I get one for the home shop.

Forrest Addy
05-25-2004, 01:13 PM
How do the little guys inside ever agree on how much to move each hand? I still haven't figgered out the light in the refrigerator.

I love fine apparatus. Must be a nifty English/metric mechanism inside. Keep it clean. If the pinion ever jumps the rack I bet you'll never get it back in time.

[This message has been edited by Forrest Addy (edited 05-25-2004).]

ibewgypsie
05-25-2004, 09:10 PM
hey look something shiny,, no, that was the other post.. (AADD) HA HA..

I am lusting after the laser crosshair still for my mill..

David

Spin Doctor
05-25-2004, 09:12 PM
Evan, I wish you hadn't mentioned this. I thought I had already bought all of the tools I would "need" http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//rolleyes.gif

Evan
05-26-2004, 12:08 AM
David,

Why not make one? This is the laser collimator I made to align my telescopes. It uses a cheap laser pointer which is aligned by the six set screws. Chuck it in the lathe so it shines out the spindle on the wall, then rotate and adjust until the spot is stationary. Very accurate.

http://vts.bc.ca/img/coll1.jpg

John Stevenson
05-26-2004, 03:24 AM
Well I don't want to be a party pooper here but there is no way I would go back to a dial caliper after usig the digital ones.
My not so old dial caliper got relegated to the end of the metal rack for checking material before going on the saw but digital ones are that cheap now that even this gets neglected.

John S.

Evan
05-26-2004, 11:27 AM
John,

One of the things I like about my dial calipers is the ease of reading. I always caliper my twist drills to make sure I have the correct size. If I do a quick check on a .250 bit I can tell without even my glasses on that I have the right bit. The needle is pointing straight down. I have been moving more towards metric lately since buying the Unimat and so am improving my metric tool collection. I still don't find the digital calipers display resolution satisfactory.

J Tiers
05-26-2004, 12:52 PM
Forrest....

They have two racks, at least mine does.

I agree, pain to adjust. Mine has a slight error between scales that has always been there. It is constant, and I just subtract it.

Evan
05-26-2004, 01:07 PM
JT,

Mine only has a single rack so the conversion must be done by gearing in the dial. I am suprised at the quality for the price, very acceptable. The two scales agree very closely, the most periodic error I can find is less than .01mm. Both needles zero exactly together.