PDA

View Full Version : New machinery at work!

38_Cal
10-09-2014, 02:38 PM
Christmas/Channukah came early this year...two new Acer 1440 lathes, and four new Acer vertical mills to join the six one-year-old lathes and two one-year-old mills. One of each has dro's. All the mills have power feed, Kurt vises and a full set of R8 collets. All the lathes have qc toolposts. My gunsmithing students have better machines to learn on than 98% of them will have to work on when they graduate! :cool: Heck, they've got better machines than I do... :p

Old Hat
10-09-2014, 02:43 PM
Sounds cool, but the pics won't load? {:~7

Toolguy
10-09-2014, 02:53 PM
I have an Acer 14 x 40 Dynamic with a Sony DRO. It's a good quality industrial grade machine.:)

gzig5
10-09-2014, 08:24 PM
David, where are you teaching?

rws
10-10-2014, 06:46 AM
I have an Acer 14x40 E. Love it for barrel work, narrow headstock. One complant I have is the need for change gears for metric threads, and 13tpi. It's only a small complaint, since in the 8 years I've had it, I've only been asked to work on one metric receiver. The 13 tpi only comes up if a need for a standard 1/2" bolt, but sor far, I have worked around it. I do have the gears though.

38_Cal
10-10-2014, 05:46 PM
Iowa Valley Community College, Grinnell, in Grinnell, Iowa. New program, started one year ago. I'm on the books as an Adjunct instructor, teaching (this semester) Intro to Firearms and Gunsmith Machining. We have one full time instructor and one other adjunct...I get the first year students and attempt to make them relatively competent on the lathe and mill...or at least, not a hazard to themselves and others! :D

rws
10-10-2014, 05:59 PM
I know you can open the biggest can-o-worms talking about which lathe is best for gun work, but I've been satisfied with mine. If there was another I would like to try, it would be the heavy 10, but I don't know anyone close that has one.