PDA

View Full Version : Sunday- a day off??

David Powell
10-12-2014, 02:33 PM
About 10 yrs ago my wife decided to start going to church . As she is disabled I naturally had to accompany her. Very gradually I too have become, at least an interested and regular attender, though I certainly have not become a religious fanatic. Again, very gradually, I have virtually ceased working in my shop on Sundays, mainly with the thought that every Sunday becomes a " holiday" for me. Am I now among a very small minority, or do others take Sundays off for religious reasons or at least for a rest? I guess I should add that my workshop is both my hobby and my business. regards David Powell.

Jon Heron
10-12-2014, 03:02 PM
Am I now among a very small minority
I would say so, yes.
Sunday is just another day to do what you cant get done the rest of the week while working at the day job, at least for me and the great majority of our friends and associates.
Cheers,
Jon

Doozer
10-12-2014, 03:05 PM
Most Christians regard Sunday as the day of rest, even though Saturday is the Sabbath.
It is this way because they sanctify the rising of Jesus from the dead on Sunday.
Do what ever you have to in order to satisfy your beliefs. Why worry about what others do??

-Doozer

Toolguy
10-12-2014, 03:06 PM
I go to church every Sunday. My church has several services to choose from, I go to the 5 PM one on Sunday. I take Sat. or Sun. off when I can, usually not both on the same weekend. My workshop is both hobby and business too. When you work at home it's hard to get away from it, but I think necessary. I used to work almost every day of the year, but am doing my best to take regular breaks as much as possible and still pay the bills and have some fun along the way. The main saving grace about working at home is if something you want to do comes up during the week you don't have to get permission to do it as long as the work gets taken care of in a timely manner. It may mean late hours before or after, but you still get to do what you want to.

KiddZimaHater
10-12-2014, 03:08 PM
Unfortunately, my bandsaw is running right now. (Sunday 2:00 PM)
I like to take it easy on Sundays and watch NFL , but I usually have work to get done.

Alistair Hosie
10-12-2014, 03:30 PM
I used to go to church seven days a week seriously.I was heavily involved in my teens.Now I wonder why?I consider the basic message to be good though but full of things quite unsellable to todays well educated youngsters.Jonah lived in a whale? no one will buy that today The virgin birth ?why did even I believe this one.Noahs ark? quite impossible when you stop to think about it. The parting of the red sea.no not even that goes down well with the young sorry but it is true? Lot's wife turning into a piller of salt? no sorry not that either.and so on and on it goes.I really cant blame them either it is all built on faith when the people today want proof.God is portrayed still as a man with a long white beard who lives in the sky and looks down on us all all the time sorry not that either It was quite sellable when I was young,as many never openly questioned all of that old ( really when you analyze it) nonsensical stuff.I have over the last few years though discovered many things about dying and death and the afterlife which really does not exist since we never die if you want to know what more and more scientists are dicovering see you tube type in PIM VAN LOMMEL a RETIRED DUTCH CARDIOLOGIST WHO TELLS OF MANY WONDERFUL THINGS HE HAS LEARNED FROM HIS PATIENTS AT THE POINT OF DEATH OVER MANY YEARS SEE THE INTERVIEW IN YOUTUBE UINDER HIS NAME AND HE EXPLAINS IT ALL we don't die and never have or ever will and we are all part of god we come here for experience not learning as earth is like school where we gain human experience we ar spiritual being here in search of human experience not human beings here in search of spititual experience,Many many scientists also believe these things when faced with reams of evidence see for yourself.I njever forced my kids to go to church and they thank me for it today .Now they are grown as my son Ewen said it is all based on guilt and fear the hold the church has had over the last hundreds of years and more and the numbers who have died for their churches and their beliefs wars wars wars we all know it.This IMHO was about keepin the poor illiterate and compliant and they pay-ed the church very well over many years for the privelage.You can see now all the corruption coming out now because people demand answers and will not be so easily fobbed of by the heirarchy all this constantly covered up by the church it is all wrong .And simply because it is run on earth by humans who are greedy and corrupt and they have flaws Alistair

mickeyf
10-12-2014, 03:38 PM
For those who do not earn their living at it, Sunday may be the only day available to be in the shop.

For some, their shop may be their "church", in the sense of the place where they can get away from the cares of the world and find some respite and peace.

a day off?? Begs the questions - "Off from What?"

Stu
10-12-2014, 03:44 PM
What is this thing Sunday you speak of? I'm retired, so every day is Saturday.

Stu

flylo
10-12-2014, 04:09 PM
Most Christians regard Sunday as the day of rest, even though Saturday is the Sabbath.
It is this way because they sanctify the rising of Jesus from the dead on Sunday.
Do what ever you have to in order to satisfy your beliefs. Why worry about what others do??

-Doozer

Bingo! Christ never changed the Sabbath & said "Remember the Sabbath & keep it Holy" It was changed well after his death, just as easter & christmas were blended with pagen rituals & holidays. Ever think about what easter eggs & santa have to do with Christ? sunday was & is the 1st day of the week & they used to give God the 1st tenth & bring it to the temple storehouses on sunday, so sunday was a workday so I'd not worry about working on sunday.

Old Hat
10-12-2014, 04:36 PM
If one is wise, he'll understand the value of taking a rest. That can even be extended to a value of
a group, a family, a crew, taking a rest. One does not have to turn to any religion to find reason
to back away from the daily toils and strike a ballance with things. In R&D if a task-force is against the wall
and just isn't finding the answers, pulling the bunch off the eneavor and throwing them a some other
crisis the company has will often allow the creativity to brake-thru.

As for Christianity, Jesus gives plenty of examples that show the true importance of doing or not doing a thing
is the motive, the Heart's desire in the matter. Not the legallism or perfuntory carying out of it.
Or even if it's a Saturday or a Sunday. It's why that matters, is it done from the heart? Or to pretend to
have always met some religious criteria? If my job needs me badly on a Sunday now and then I'll work it.

I may do nothing on a Sabbath. The message I get from above/with-in how~ever you view it is:
"Is Phil willing to get up this day, and put his resourses at his Lord's disposal to be refueled, or perhaps
spent on another's needs this day. Not just devoted to self-interest or lucrative eneavors.

sasquatch
10-12-2014, 04:56 PM
Haven't been to church in years, i spend almost everyweekend at the dragstrip with my son racing and grandson is there with us always. So weekends nothing gets done in my shop or sons garage business, that stuff is done during the week.
Most all the guys at the track are super guys ready to help anyone out, and very much like family.
Grandson aged 12 now, has learned a great deal about mechanics being with the group.

DR
10-12-2014, 05:09 PM
I've made a point for years to take at least one of the weekend days off. Usually Sunday because the metal suppliers and tooling houses are open Saturday from 8 to noon in case I need something, nothing is open on Sunday.

Church......? I have never been to a church service in my whole life. I've been in churches for weddings, funerals, but my mom insisted that when we young that we not go to church. She said when we were old enough to make up our minds we could go if we wanted, but not as children.

justanengineer
10-12-2014, 05:30 PM
Begs the questions - "Off from What?"

Exactly. I do as the old time farmers have done for centuries, take Sunday (Saturday too for that matter) "off" in the sense that I plan the upcoming week's work, "work" on hobbies, spend time with family, and have fun otherwise.

Just my $0.015 and its prob not worth $0.02.....I'm not overly religious in that I rarely attend services anymore, but the Bible is one of two references I keep on my desk at work (Machinery's Handbook is the other, other texts are on shelves), and I read/study it daily. I'm not a religious scholar, but there are quite a few mentions in it about "idle hands" being evil and at least for myself I tend to agree. Does it fit in all situations.....probably not, but maybe? Depends on how one thinks about it. All I know is that I feel like crap if I waste opportunity to do something which I can, plenty of folks out there who cant.

wierdscience
10-12-2014, 05:37 PM
We used to have Sunday blue laws where everything in business that was nonessential was closed on Sunday.A couple restaurants and gas stations was it around town on Sunday.Lot's of people complained,but looking back I don't think they fully realised what they were complaining about.

Now many people work six day weeks,never have a free day to spend with the family.No time to decompress,just a day to work and prepare for the next six.Now we are a society that eats anti-depressants like M&Ms and looks forward only to the next antacid tablet or statin drug to correct the damage the added stress has done.And all of it is for what?

So do I go to church?Not so much,do I work on Saturday and Sunday?Only if I feel like it and only if a customer pays me enough.

Old Hat
10-12-2014, 05:57 PM
Exactly. I do as the old time farmers have done for centuries, take Sunday (Saturday too for that matter) "off" in the sense that I plan the upcoming week's work, "work" on hobbies, spend time with family, and have fun otherwise.

Just my $0.015 and its prob not worth $0.02.....I'm not overly religious in that I rarely attend services anymore, but the Bible is one of two references I keep on my desk at work (Machinery's Handbook is the other, other texts are on shelves), and I read/study it daily. I'm not a religious scholar, but there are quite a few mentions in it about "idle hands" being evil and at least for myself I tend to agree. Does it fit in all situations.....probably not, but maybe? Depends on how one thinks about it. All I know is that I feel like crap if I waste opportunity to do something which I can, plenty of folks out there who cant.

+1
"I'm not overly religious in that I rarely attend services anymore".

I'm not at all religious, but I have faith.
I recognise the fingerprints of a "Creator", and have found life
to work out, in accordance with an "order" or a "Law" in the classical sence
not the legallistic sence. If this Creator indicates that a rest is important,
I would be a fool to disregard that indication.

Religion is man-made.

John Stevenson
10-12-2014, 06:01 PM
If I was God I'd make Alistair put decent punctuation in his posts on pain of stoking the furnace of Hell....................................

loose nut
10-12-2014, 06:40 PM
I find the concept of a supernatural being that is so powerful that it can create the universe, just by thinking about it or in some equally implausible manner, that would give a rats a$$ about us puny beings on this planet. If God made man in his image then looking at the state that we are in now and have always been in, it not a very good job reference.

Religion on the other hand, especially the Catholic and Muslim ones are just a way for the entitled few to dominate the masses. Do what we tell you or burn in hell. Fortunately most people, in the west at least, have got wise to that one.

Doozer
10-12-2014, 08:11 PM
Harley Davidson is a religion, so is the NFL.
Prove me wrong.
Jessee James started metal church,
watch his utube videos.
--D

flylo
10-12-2014, 08:16 PM
Doozer,I agree, so what? You can worship your welder if you wish. I'm a Miller man but have more Lincolns how about you? I even tried Eastwood & like them also.
Wait till dad gets home!:p

lakeside53
10-12-2014, 08:20 PM
Being retired... the only difference of a weekend day to any other day.. is that my working friends (most of them are) need my help for those two days a week! I need parking meters here on Saturday mornings ;)

Doozer
10-12-2014, 08:24 PM
If I worship my welder, can I get a tax break on my machine shop?????
Does the IRS just need a receipt from the welding shop where I bought
it or do they need proof that I weld every Sunday. I am serious, might
this be possible? Oddest thing I saw to date, there is a Cowboy church
in Mt. Pleasant, NC. Everyone came out in the parking lot wearing 10
gallon hats. If they get a tax write off, so can me and Miller. (the welder
or the beer).

--D

J Tiers
10-12-2014, 08:39 PM
It could be argued that if you do not do anything commercial in your shop, there is no reason to stay out of it on Sunday. Your shop is a form of resting, as much as anything else.

Says the person who just got back from 5 hours of working on a nasty problem actually AT work.

AD5MB
10-12-2014, 08:41 PM
by Sunday I have installed all the parts that came during the week, done everything I can do until I get more information, it's too late to start a project bigger than carrying trash out to the truck. not a deliberate day off, more like a slow fade away and no fresh start.

flylo
10-12-2014, 08:47 PM
If I worship my welder, can I get a tax break on my machine shop?????
Does the IRS just need a receipt from the welding shop where I bought
it or do they need proof that I weld every Sunday. I am serious, might
this be possible? Oddest thing I saw to date, there is a Cowboy church
in Mt. Pleasant, NC. Everyone came out in the parking lot wearing 10
gallon hats. If they get a tax write off, so can me and Miller. (the welder
or the beer).

--D

The church could do welding mon-fri, weddings on sat, & worship on sunday. From broken parts, broken hearts or broken dreams we fix them all. Amen
Pass the plate please while we sing Amazing Blaze www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLnN-hqgfxY

randyjaco
10-12-2014, 09:12 PM
David, I find this totally inappropriate. This is your wife, your religion, your problem. Man up, solve your own problems. Talk with your minister,priest, rabbi. This site is a machinist site not a pity party.
Moderator, it is time to close this thread down.

Randy

Doozer
10-12-2014, 09:28 PM
...But at my church, we weld water to wood.
I say it's a holy metrical !
We use holy water in the TiG torch cooler,
and holy oil in the gears.
Can I get that tax exemption please??
-Doozer

Toolguy
10-12-2014, 09:33 PM
I think it's perfectly fine. We have all kinds of off topic stuff on here and many find it interesting. There is more to life than machining and no one is forced to read any off topic threads unless they want to. I find it sad that some people want to play God even if they don't believe in him and try to dictate that everyone else must be like them. Even God himself allows us to choose whether to be like Him or not.

adatesman
10-12-2014, 09:41 PM
I think it's perfectly fine.

Again.... Politics and religion are decidedly *NOT FINE*, for reasons that should be obvious. Your god is not necessarily my god, nor your political views the same as mine, and discussion of such has no business here.

Case in point: which would be of more interest to machinists.... For Sale posts or ramblings about my personal belief in an almighty invisible friend? Obviously the For Sale posts. Which are not allowed.

David Powell
10-12-2014, 09:49 PM
David, I find this totally inappropriate. This is your wife, your religion, your problem. Man up, solve your own problems. Talk with your minister,priest, rabbi. This site is a machinist site not a pity party.
Moderator, it is time to close this thread down.

Randy

I am not asking for help or pity, just wondering how others view the concept of having a ' day off ' from the shop especially if the shop is both their business and primary hobby. I find my absence from the shop on Sundays helps make Monday morning a cheerful happy time, get up at about 5 am, work till 9 am get wife up, have breakfast with her and then restart in earnest at about 10 am, From then on , until about 11 pm on Saturday night, I am " busy" . I find having Sundays off reinvigorating and refreshing . Although I am physically away from the projects in hand my mind often wanders towards them, and sometimes solutions to problems pop up during such times.We are happy with how we run our lives, we are just curious about how others balance their lives with some " quiet time". Regards David Powell.

adatesman
10-12-2014, 09:52 PM
Huh. Large bunch of posts missing, so guess George is doing some cleanup.

George- Discussion of religious practices has no business here, for obvious reasons. So rather than simply remove offensive posts, why not simply remove the thread altogether? After all, there was nothing at all offensive about my post, now missing, asking for the topic to be taken elsewhere.

CarlByrns
10-12-2014, 10:05 PM
Doozer,I agree, so what? You can worship your welder if you wish. I'm a Miller man but have more Lincolns how about you? I even tried Eastwood & like them also.
Wait till dad gets home!:p

Be careful with them 'foreign welders' or you'll go blind ;)

Doozer
10-12-2014, 10:09 PM
http://www.draftsperson.net/images/e/e6/Chinese_paper_welding_mask.JPGhttp://shanghaiscrap.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/DSC00827.JPG

flylo
10-12-2014, 10:09 PM
Be careful with them 'foreign welders' or you'll go blind ;)

Mom said I could use them till I need glasses.:cool:

J. Randall
10-12-2014, 10:16 PM
Really surprised he didn't lock it, a lot of times things slip by on the week end that he would catch pretty quick otherwise.
James

flylo
10-12-2014, 10:16 PM

George- Discussion of religious practices has no business here, for obvious reasons. So rather than simply remove offensive posts, why not simply remove the thread altogether? After all, there was nothing at all offensive about my post, now missing, asking for the topic to be taken elsewhere.

What post are missing? I think if George would close it & not pick & choose post to delete.

Doozer
10-12-2014, 10:20 PM
http://mahopa.de/bilder/funny-forum-pictures/thread-lock.jpg

adatesman
10-12-2014, 10:25 PM
What post are missing? I think if George would close it & not pick & choose post to delete.

For starters, mine observing that the OP is likely not Jewish or Seventh Day Adventist (they take Saturday as they day off), and asking that the religion thing being elsewhere.

Then Old Hat's response saying I'm like a yappy dog that jumps from the hedges and neither a machinist nor worthy of being a lowly school counselor.

Followed by mine pointing out that politics and religion have no place here, and telling him to go.... (Imagination not really required)

And another personal attack from Old Hat.

And so on.

Frankly I've never seen posts disappear here, so a bit surprised by this. But frankly, the whole thread needs to go.

flylo
10-12-2014, 10:25 PM
Again.... Politics and religion are decidedly *NOT FINE*, for reasons that should be obvious. Your god is not necessarily my god, nor your political views the same as mine, and discussion of such has no business here.

Case in point: which would be of more interest to machinists.... For Sale posts or ramblings about my personal belief in an almighty invisible friend? Obviously the For Sale posts. Which are not allowed.

The OP asked a guestion, we answered it & had a bit of fun. Buy your undies a size bigger & so you won'tn be so uptight:o

Doozer
10-12-2014, 10:26 PM
http://www.troll.me/images/boromir/one-does-not-simply-lock-a-thread-because-you-are-offended-thumb.jpg

adatesman
10-12-2014, 10:29 PM
No, Doozer, one locks a thread because it's content is inappropriate for the forum it's in. And if you scroll up/page back, I'm not the only one who voiced a problem with it.

Doozer
10-12-2014, 10:32 PM
http://i.imgur.com/UY57Ygm.jpg

doctordoctor
10-12-2014, 10:40 PM
Why are people talking about locking threads and getting "George" to do this or that on here so much? Arent you grown men? Doesn't it bother you to say things like that? Why would anyone give a crap what gets said on an internet forum? And dont you feel like you are kind of sinking low by asking someone to shut someone else up for you? Or policing a forum like a hall monitor and reporting everything to the principal?

And the grossest part is, why would you think locking or closing a thread somehow "ends" the "offense"? Or settles something, or what? Why would leaving the thread open "continue" the offense?

doctordoctor
10-12-2014, 10:42 PM

Do you see the irony in asking for censorship, followed by complaining that your posts were removed?

What difference does it make if the thread is removed or not? What does that do to anything, in your mind? "Clean the world"? What?

adatesman
10-12-2014, 10:45 PM
Isn't clear at this point why leaving a religiously-tinged thread visible (let alone open) is a problem?

Jeez... Not that complicated.

Doozer
10-12-2014, 10:47 PM
http://mediad.publicbroadcasting.net/p/whqr/files/styles/medium/public/201410/Censorshiplolcat.jpg

doctordoctor
10-12-2014, 10:47 PM
Isn't clear at this point why leaving a religiously-tinged thread visible (let alone open) is a problem?

Jeez... Not that complicated.

Perhaps its clear to someone who runs a website and doesn't want something with their "name" on it to have certain content.

But it certainly does not make sense for some third party who USES that site to care. Please explain how that works. You know how much horrible filth is on the internet? Why would you try and censor some tiny little section of it on this website? What is that accomplishing, even in spirit? There are probably 1000 old threads on here with offensive content. Who cares?

lakeside53
10-12-2014, 10:52 PM
Sometimes the reason for locking or deletion is as simple as the site owner delivering the message "knock it off guys, grow up, keep it all sane" etc.

Doozer
10-12-2014, 10:53 PM
http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/236x/0e/ec/2c/0eec2ca58e7cd6b9e594ccf612dd0a1f.jpg

adatesman
10-12-2014, 10:54 PM
I care, Doctordoctor, and if you scroll back, you'll see I'm not the only one.

Tell you what.... Would you like me to start a threat proselytizing for Islam? Has as much to do with machining as this thread does, which is absolutely nothing. And why it doesn't belong here.

doctordoctor
10-12-2014, 10:55 PM
http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/236x/0e/ec/2c/0eec2ca58e7cd6b9e594ccf612dd0a1f.jpg

Let me get my pipe..I have much to say upon the latest rumblings in Persia.

http://hellogiggles.hellogiggles.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/08/tumblr_lkzexk8HRU1qjgugao1_500.jpg?v=392400.000031 1111

doctordoctor
10-12-2014, 10:58 PM

Tell you what.... Would you like me to start a threat proselytizing for Islam? Has as much to do with machining as this thread does, which is absolutely nothing. And why it doesn't belong here.

I DONT CARE. I dont care what you say on this forum, I dont care what you say anywhere. Saying other people agree with you means nothing, there are plenty that agree with me as well, including the "offenders" lol, that doesnt make either of us right or wrong. You still havent answered my question. Why do you care what other people say or do on a website that you dont own? Thats the great mystery.

Why are you taking it upon yourself to be concerned with which threads "belong" or not on here? Dont you have better things to worry about?

lakeside53
10-12-2014, 11:00 PM
Let me get my pipe..I have much to say upon the latest rumblings in Persia.

And there's plenty of forums other than this one where you can express those musings. ;)

Actually... there's a lot of people on this site (and others) that care what gets said. Within loose bounds it's a community of "like-minded people" that make a site great. It's not a town square where you can freely spout whatever you like. If you don't like that we don't like what you think, then ...

And I applaud any actions the site owners think is appropriate - we are all just guests here and as such, expected to behave.

Doozer
10-12-2014, 11:01 PM
http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/0b/c8/cc/0bc8cc983d5ce1d94cf44e278390e490.jpg

adatesman
10-12-2014, 11:07 PM
You're missing the point, Doctordoctor.

Which is simply this: Discussion of religion or politics invariably leads this ugliness like this, hence to keep things civil it is not allowed.

Not that complicated, and has been said several times.

Thing is, it leads to situations like this.... I spent a not small amount of time today trying to help you through your threading problem, to the point of digging out a textbook with useful pics and uploading them here to help you understand.

Don't think I'll be bothering next time, as I'm getting the sense it was time wasted.

Which, if you multiply it by everyone involved here, is not good for the Forum and not good for George.

So.... Politics and religion are checked at the door, because everyone is better off that way.

Is that clear enough?

doctordoctor
10-12-2014, 11:07 PM
And there's plenty of forums other than this one where you can express those musings. ;)

Actually... there's a lot of people on this site (and others) that care what gets said. Within loose bounds it's community of "like-minded people" that make a site great. If you don't like that we don't like what you think, then ...

Oh you think your are a spokesman for everyone on here. Thats cute! Is that like how you think other peoples experience with micrometers is meaningless but yours is the truth? I see a pattern...

doctordoctor
10-12-2014, 11:08 PM
You're missing the point, Doctordoctor.

Which is simply this: Discussion of religion or politics invariably leads this ugliness like this, hence to keep things civil it is not allowed.

Not that complicated, and has been said several times.

Thing is, it leads to situations like this.... I spent a not small amount of time today trying to help you through your threading problem, to the point of digging out a textbook with useful pics and uploading them here to help you understand.

Don't think I'll be bothering next time.

Which, if you multiply it by everyone involved here, is not good for the Forum and not good for George.

So.... Politics and religion are checked at the door, because everyone is better off that way.

Is that clear enough?

No its not. My question, is WHY DO YOU CARE? You dont have to read this thread, you dont have to read this post, you dont have to have any of this horrible "ugliness" get to you. You make the choice to engage and be involved in these discussions you find so offensive. Its not happening in your house or even in your street, or even in your PLANET. Its not even happening in the real world. Its on some electronic connection that you can ignore at any second. So why are you playing the busy body and trying to police it third party for someone else? What do you have at stake in any of this?

lakeside53
10-12-2014, 11:12 PM
Not so.... But everyone speaks for some. And please, don't go putting words in my mouth.

The only pattern here is that with your type of belligerent and baiting posts, this thread is going to get locked and/or deleted. Hey, maybe you'll be banned ;)

Have a nice night.

doctordoctor
10-12-2014, 11:19 PM
Not so.... But everyone speaks for some. And please, don't go putting words in my mouth.

The only pattern here is that with your type of belligerent and baiting posts, this thread is going to get locked and/or deleted. Hey, maybe you'll be banned ;)

Have a nice night.

Interesting..you can put words in other peoples mouth by saying you speak for them, but when I do the same..somehow I'm belligerent and baiting.

I could not give two craps if I get banned on this site. You people really have alot tied up in your banned/unbanned statuses dont you? Who cares? We're talking about an INTERNET FORUM here...would you tell someone in person that you give a crap about being banned on an internet forum? Yikes. Its almost like you need some authority figure to make determinations of who is what and whos status is what so you can feel somehow righteous or validated. I thought this site was kind of neat in the beginning but after I realized it didnt allow for sale posts, and had some ancient mid 1990's "4 pic limit" in the posts, as well as the same demographics of easily threatened "machinists" telling people what not to do (with the exceptions of a few cool people), I am on the hunt again for a worthy forum to put my projects and content on.

adatesman
10-12-2014, 11:26 PM
Why do I care, Doctordoctor?

As I said above, your behavior here has me regretting spending (wasting?) time helping you through your issue with understanding the basic fundamentals of threading on a lathe. Which is a very odd thing not to understand, when one has a semi-decent CNC machining center in the garage. People don't usually get to that point without first getting a bit of exposure to the basics of lathe work.

Regardless, I don't think I'll bother in the future. And that attitude does no one any good when it comes to helping others on a forum.

Long story short, not everyone here is White (see the recent thread about the EBay ad which used the word "niggardly"), and not everyone Christian. So in the interest of making the forum more useful for it's intended purpose, let's limit discussion to topics that have nothing to do being White (or not) or Christian (or not).

Not that hard a concept to grasp.

flylo
10-12-2014, 11:28 PM
Interesting..you can put words in other peoples mouth by saying you speak for them, but when I do the same..somehow I'm belligerent and baiting.

I could not give two craps if I get banned on this site. You people really have alot tied up in your banned/unbanned statuses dont you? Who cares? We're talking about an INTERNET FORUM here...would you tell someone in person that you give a crap about being banned on an internet forum? Yikes. Its almost like you need some authority figure to make determinations of who is what and whos status is what so you can feel somehow righteous or validated. I thought this site was kind of neat in the beginning but after I realized it didnt allow for sale posts, and had some ancient mid 1990's "4 pic limit" in the posts, as well as the same demographics of easily threatened "machinists" telling people what not to do (with the exceptions of a few cool people), I am on the hunt again for a worthy forum to put my projects and content on.

If you start your own forum at least 1 person will agree with you. Great idea.

adatesman
10-12-2014, 11:40 PM
I am on the hunt again for a worthy forum to put my projects and content on.

Fwiw, "how do I thread on a lathe" isn't "content", but rather "do a search n00b". Perhaps PM will be more to your liking? They love Atlas and DynaMechtronics over there.

Don't let the door hit you in the butt on the way out.

thaiguzzi
10-12-2014, 11:44 PM
Back on topic... Obviously where i live is 96% Buddhist. However, quite a few of the better schools locally are Christian run. So out here in the sticks where i live there are no sundays. What we have are "Buddha days" once a fortnight. 1/2 moons and full moons. On that day nobody is allowed to make a loud working noise around the village or their house, ie cutting grass with a petrol powered strimmer, planing wood with a power tool, or even banging a nail into wood. You WILL NOT hear a hammer striking a nail on a Buddha day in the countryside. In the towns and cities this is obviously ignored, but out in the countryside it is still adhered to. I quite like it. It is a guaranteed one day off in 14. And another excuse for a good piss-up. Thais like to party!
Mike.

Fasttrack
10-12-2014, 11:45 PM

This is an open forum. Think of it like the coffee pot/water jug at a machine shop. Most of the time we shoot the sh*t about machining but every now and then other subjects come up. It keeps things interesting and exposes us to new views and - often - great senses of humor. Put your big boy panties on and relax. I don't see anyone proselytizing here. The OP asked how many other people took Sundays off - he didn't insinuate that it was wrong not to or that his particular flavor of Christianity (or indeed any religion at all) was the "right" choice.

doctordoctor
10-12-2014, 11:52 PM
Why do I care, Doctordoctor?

As I said above, your behavior here has me regretting spending (wasting?) time helping you through your issue with understanding the basic fundamentals of threading on a lathe. Which is a very odd thing not to understand, when one has a semi-decent CNC machining center in the garage. People don't usually get to that point without first getting a bit of exposure to the basics of lathe work.

Regardless, I don't think I'll bother in the future. And that attitude does no one any good when it comes to helping others on a forum.

Long story short, not everyone here is White (see the recent thread about the EBay ad which used the word "niggardly"), and not everyone Christian. So in the interest of making the forum more useful for it's intended purpose, let's limit discussion to topics that have nothing to do being White (or not) or Christian (or not).

Not that hard a concept to grasp.

Maybe for you. I have never once considered the demographics, race, or people religion on internet forums. Who cares? You seem to bring up race more than anyone else Ive seen on here. Is it possible that its a major concern for you but not anyone else?

doctordoctor
10-12-2014, 11:53 PM
Fwiw, "how do I thread on a lathe" isn't "content", but rather "do a search n00b". Perhaps PM will be more to your liking? They love Atlas and DynaMechtronics over there.

Don't let the door hit you in the butt on the way out.

Why do you care what forums I use or dont use?

doctordoctor
10-12-2014, 11:55 PM
This is an open forum. Think of it like the coffee pot/water jug at a machine shop. Most of the time we shoot the sh*t about machining but every now and then other subjects come up. It keeps things interesting and exposes us to new views and - often - great senses of humor. Put your big boy panties on and relax. I don't see anyone proselytizing here. The OP asked how many other people took Sundays off - he didn't insinuate that it was wrong not to or that his particular flavor of Christianity (or indeed any religion at all) was the "right" choice.

(writing down Fasttrack's name on the "sane" peoples list)

Its a short list

adatesman
10-13-2014, 12:10 AM
You seem very focused on yourself, Doctordoctor , and not at all concerned with what anyone else thinks.

So why are you even here?

Doozer
10-13-2014, 12:10 AM
I am still here because I was once an Atlas lover.
I had to be a closet Atlas lover when I sashayed
around the other forum where the overlord Milacron
deals with swift justice to all those that praise the
god that holds the earth on his back. I have since
expanded my world views, but I still harken here at
the place of my spawn as an apprentice to the black
art. I know now that I can rally the pride of my comrades
to join my quest to expose the sheep mascaraing as
wolves, in order to win favor of the their own partisan
pack. Do not play to try and ally with the allegiances of
the overlord, because your cause is now uncovered.
You seek to overthrow the overlord and advance your
position to the head of the table. It was too late for
Cesar to learn. But by his death, all the other sheep have
seen, and yours the wolf is now plain to see. You will not
weave your treachery here, as eyes are wide to the plan
you thrust forth. Cower now, as you have been exposed
as the jackal.

-D

Old Hat
10-13-2014, 12:13 AM
I think since I joined up here several of my posts have been expunged.
Hey, it ain't my foum, I'm completely cool with that, infact it makes perfect sence.

As for topic, I find overlap of many issues in daily life. I don't know how I could avoid that.
If topics on a forum overlap, I'd say it's a cool forum, and may well represent accual daily experiences
better because of it.

I see and hear things everyday that I don't agree with. If it ain't rubbing off on me,
I don't rub my nose in it.
Cheers All!

flylo
10-13-2014, 12:14 AM
I like Doozer's post!
Where's that like button?

Doozer
10-13-2014, 12:17 AM
http://memestorage.com/_nw/37/52224368.jpg

boslab
10-13-2014, 12:20 AM
Meanwhile the stars shine and the earth spins oblivious to us all
Mark

Doozer
10-13-2014, 12:22 AM
http://img2.etsystatic.com/000/2/5988205/il_570xN.351665486.jpg

Old Hat
10-13-2014, 12:25 AM
I'm listening, you may proceed.
https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR901bPyG-TgLxseyrjhdam99nuSoJW_sAMe3sld3x8jUqUrR-H

doctordoctor
10-13-2014, 12:31 AM
I like Doozer's post!
Where's that like button?

"liking" is offensive to those who "dislike"...dont you see that?

doctordoctor
10-13-2014, 12:32 AM
I am still here because I was once an Atlas lover.
I had to be a closet Atlas lover when I sashayed
around the other forum where the overlord Milacron
deals with swift justice to all those that praise the
god that holds the earth on his back. I have since
expanded my world views, but I still harken here at
the place of my spawn as an apprentice to the black
art. I know now that I can rally the pride of my comrades
to join my quest to expose the sheep mascaraing as
wolves, in order to win favor of the their own partisan
pack. Do not play to try and ally with the allegiances of
the overlord, because your cause is now uncovered.
You seek to overthrow the overlord and advance your
position to the head of the table. It was too late for
Cesar to learn. But by his death, all the other sheep have
seen, and yours the wolf is now plain to see. You will not
weave your treachery here, as eyes are wide to the plan
you thrust forth. Cower now, as you have been exposed
as the jackal.

-D

I like
how your
text is
all in
a narrow
column.

LONG LIVE THE ATLAS

Doozer
10-13-2014, 12:39 AM
Jim Rosen does his text like that.
I like it so I do it also.
--D

Old Hat
10-13-2014, 12:47 AM
On a blueprint drawn in 1968 for a split bearing,
Notes 1 thru 17 were listed in assending order.
First time I ever encountered that.
Interesting; I wonder why, but I like it.

ulav8r
10-13-2014, 01:12 AM
On a blueprint drawn in 1968 for a split bearing,
Notes 1 thru 17 were listed in assending order.
First time I ever encountered that.
Interesting; I wonder why, but I like it.

Note 1 is the first one on the print and is put at the bottom. As other notes are added they move up the print. The original print may have only had 3 or 4 notes and as the drawing was revised more notes were added. In the days of vellum originals the revisions were made on the original and they did not have to re-arrange the notes to keep them in order.

lakeside53
10-13-2014, 01:23 AM

Well.. in room of people the loud-mouth eventually gets shunned and ignored, and if he gets louder, thrown out. You might like free-for-all type forums, but I don't and this isn't one of them. I wish you well in your hunt for another forum worthy of your content. You might want to skip PM or Chaski.

Yow Ling
10-13-2014, 03:38 AM
This is the best thread since the last best thread.

Cant you guys just forgive him for the stapler thing,
I thought it was funny, Black Forest was a bit dark on it.

He may not actually be the smallest minority after all

Alistair Hosie
10-13-2014, 03:42 AM
If I was God I'd make Alistair put decent punctuation in his posts on pain of stoking the furnace of Hell....................................

Sorry , I was tired. Anyway if you can understand the Chinese Language then surely you can, er, well maybe not LOL welcome home pal. Alistair

Alistair Hosie
10-13-2014, 04:03 AM
Statesman please please,cool down a bit. It was a good post until you almost demanded it be shut down.I have a favour to ask of you please when you say this needs to be shut down or whatever why not for the sake of politeness ad IMHO so that it does not coma across as an order .As you know very well you, I, and we all here, are just memebrs equall members and dont IMHO dictate or should't these kind of snap orders to each other.I repeat no animosity was or has been shown here apart from your very unneccesary angry ranting, so cool down please. I think anything is fine to discuss. if you are offended then that is a different matter of course however you can always flip to another post without boiling your liver over it .Just like we all do from time to time . Please keep cool brother IMHO LOL Alistair

flylo
10-13-2014, 04:52 AM

So be offended, how did you put it, I couldn't care two craps or something on that order. Two craps maybe but three craps you're out.

David Powell
10-13-2014, 08:37 AM
So be offended, how did you put it, I couldn't care two craps or something on that order. Two craps maybe but three craps you're out.

I certainly did not intend to offend anyone. My interest is whether or not a day completely away from the shop, on a regular basis, is an advantage or disadvantage, especially for those of us who use our shops for business and pleasure. For me, Sundays work out well, wife enjoys Church, I get to sit down quietly for a couple of hours, the preacher said something about Jonah--- I " designed" a new engine for my model steam wagon in my head while he did so. We came home, had a nap, went out to friends for Thanksgiving, solved all the world's problems, came home and went to bed. Got up late this morning as it is a " holiday" day here. I will start work at 10. I think the break from the shop did me some good, just wanted to know what others did, and whether a break helps them.Regards to all David Powell.

Old Hat
10-13-2014, 10:27 AM
A note of caution to those of you who from politeness are willing to appoligise
to others because something you think or beleive or put forward offends them.

In life this is a serious form of tug-O-war. [doctordoctor] has it right;

You let the rope go slack with these types even a little, and before you know in
they'll have an extra turn on a capstan. With full advantage they won't stop till
you're completely bound off and eliminated.

Appologising for your own standing is bad medicine.

flylo
10-13-2014, 10:40 AM
A note of caution to those of you who from politeness are willing to appoligise
to others because something you think or beleive or put forward offends them.

In life this is a serious form of tug-O-war. [doctordoctor] has it right;

You let the rope go slack with these types even a little, and before you know in
they'll have an extra turn on a capstan. With full advantage they won't stop till
you're completely bound off and eliminated.

Appologising for your own standing is bad medicine.

You & doctordoctor really worry about offending people, yea right, what a joke. I like what what I like & will say so & if you don't like it go pound sand!:rolleyes:

Old Hat
10-13-2014, 10:47 AM
You & doctordoctor really worry about offending people, yea right, what a joke. I like what what I like & will say so & if you don't like it go pound sand!:rolleyes:

I just said (to a degree) the same thing only better, you can't read, or just can't comprehend, or just .....

Doozer
10-13-2014, 11:00 AM
The only place I really worry about offending people is at work.
There, it is my job, so I am kinda paid to be nice and play well
with others. I get that. And I do have fun and joke around a
little, but nothing off color. That's never cool. Even drinking
beers, I never go into off color comments about people. It is
just not nice. But if I have an opinion about politics or society
or something in the news, sure I tell it like I believe it to be.
Being an engineer, my opinions are very based on logic. This
seems to go against many people, who's opinions are largely
based on emotion. If you happen to agree with me, fine.
If you don't, that is fine too. As far as religion, if you do your
thing and you don't hurt anyone else, no problem. I have
nothing to say about that. Get in my face with it, go take a hike.
I will gladly talk about the what's on the pamphlets they like to
hand out, but it probably won't be aligned with their thinking.
I say, If you open the door, be prepared of maybe letting the
cows out. If I don't like what I read here or somewhere else,
I might comment as such, but I know the freedoms (privileges)
that we have, and I realize the person has the right to post
pretty much what ever they want. Post that the pope is an
azzhole. He may or may not be, I never met him. No problem,
no issue.

-Doozer

flylo
10-13-2014, 11:02 AM
I just said the same thing only better, you can't read, or just can't comprehend, or just .....

Of course you're better at everything & remind me of a hot air balloon taking off with no wing, just a huge bag of hot air sitting there going no where. It was me who "liked" Doozers post. Maybe change you name to "Old Hot Air Bag" You & your little sidekick have a wonderful day!:)

Old Hat
10-13-2014, 11:18 AM
Here, I'll demonstrate.
To all H S M members, I am so sorry. . . if I've offendened any of you, by offering my take on a Sabboth.
Just in case I am so sorry, if I've over-emphasised any of my views and caused any of you any personal disturbance.

I appologise for being me, please accept my humble offering of this olive branch, and be kind and like me now.
Have a really nice sencitive day now, and thank you so much for your patience.

flylo
10-13-2014, 11:29 AM
I knew you just had to get the last word in LOL! If we need any life lessons we'll call so please sit close to the phone & wait as I bet it will ring off the hook from people waiting to get advise from Dr Phil. Hey you & doctordoctor do make a good team doctordoctor phil :p