PDA

View Full Version : Moriya by Dr James R Senft

chucketn
10-17-2014, 09:18 AM
For all the Stirling Engine experts here, I have the book, “Steamand Stirling Engines You Can Build” . In it, is the Moriya Stirling Fan, by Dr.Senft. The plans for this StirlingEngine are also available from a couple of college websites.
I would like to modify this design to run on the heat from awood stove, instead of the alcohol lamp as shown in the plans. What would Ineed to do? Would it work if I just shortened the legs to allow the hot end reston the stovetop? Or, maybe make an aluminum plate to set the hot end in, whichwould in turn rest on the stovetop?
Can I post a picture of the Moriya from the book? Has anyonebuilt this engine?
Chuck

Jim2
10-20-2014, 10:54 AM
I'd like to make a stirling stove-top engine some day, too. I've looked around on internet, and doesn't seem to be a whole lot out there unless willing to purchase plans for usually quite old designs. Maybe an older design would be a good choice for someone without much experience making engines? I'd be looking for something robust and foolproof--probably properties not commonly found when talking about stirling engines, I guess.

Please post up your experiences if you go forward with this.

thanks,

Jim

Toolguy
10-20-2014, 10:59 AM
I would like to make one too. Let us know of your progress. Thanks!

chucketn
10-20-2014, 11:19 AM
Not much done in the last few days. I did get the base cut to size and have a chunk of Al for the cold end chucked in the lathe.
I'm also working on casting a few parts for future projects and have been trying to take advantage of clear weather, but have had issues there.
Also, my lathe has decided to start blowing fuses, so now need to pull the motor and check it out.
Will get back to Moriya in a day or two... Stay tuned!

Chuck