PDA

View Full Version : converting a woodworking saw to a ?

Alistair Hosie
10-19-2014, 02:00 PM
My son Alistair JNR gave me a very nice but old twelve inch wood table saw.I finally got it home as it is very heavy being a cast iron frame.It all came to pieces as it was designed to do simply enough it all bolts together with nice old curved cast legs.I have never seen this type of design before There for example there seems to be no way to raise and lower the blade in any way,it is fixed simply at full height.I find this to be dangerous and at first my intention was to use it through an invertor with lower speed control and use it with a circular metal blade, to cut metal of all types.However it struck me with the blade at full height even with a slow speed this might too be considered a dangerous tool to have what do you guys think.
My latest idea is to elongate then widen the saw blade slot , and fit a twelve inch or larger sanding disc and use it for all sorts of sanding even back to woodworking with the speed control .Although this might not now be needed. I might using it as a sander just use it as is full speed through a convertor,as it was used before .That is for woodcutting or if you prefer sawing. What do you guys think.Or if you have abetter solution idea etc please let me know.It seems to good not to use it somehow Alistair it has a three phase motor of course.

CarlByrns
10-19-2014, 03:08 PM
there seems to be no way to raise and lower the blade in any way,it is fixed simply at full height.

Push or pull the knob that adjusts blade tilt- my old Craftsman worked that way: in for elevation, out for tilt. Is someone greased the gears, the knob will be difficult-to-impossible to move due to sawdust clogging things up. Spray the mechanism with brake cleaner or whatever the alternative is in Old Blighty.

Don't butcher this tool- good heavy 12" table saws are expensive new, hard to find used.

Gary Paine
10-19-2014, 03:39 PM
A lot of the older heavy duty table saws had a fixed arbor and blade always remained vertical. The whole table raised and tilted.

Alistair Hosie
10-19-2014, 03:48 PM
I will try to get a photo of it to show you guys asap. It is a very simple mechanism underneath .It is just two pillow blocks and a spindle stetched between them with a double pulley on the outside edge I.E this is outside the tables edge.This is designed to overhang the end or edge of the table .This is all held in a double fixed guard which is coupled to the motor with two ribbed belts.I really am afraid to say other than what I figure it to be. It is the simplest looking saw in design terms from underneath.No tilt or angled cutting of any kind. The tungsten carbide blade is made to stick up approx four and a half or five inches above the rest of the table.
A strange set up as far as I can see,but functional anmd I would say also accurate too.
If I didn't know better, I would say the mechanism design, underneath is home built. However that does not match up with the lovely design of the rest of it which appears with all solid cast iron construction with regards to its curved legs, and strong bolted together construction.Strange but true. LOL Alistair

darryl
10-19-2014, 03:57 PM
We have an old table saw at work- the boss was contemplating getting rid of it. My thoughts at the time were that the table structures surrounding it needed to be tossed and a new table built to encase the saw. I mentioned this and didn't get a positive response. Some weeks later I brought it up again, but this time I just said what I was going to do with it. I got a sort of ok to go ahead with it-

The saw itself is an oldie, but not so old to have ornate legs etc. It's very smooth and quiet, runs really well once I changed the belts. Totally worth the effort to build a new table around it, and at the same time I built a new fence for it and made it cable controlled. I made a micro adjustment mechanism for the fence, and at the same time I made an extension for it. The fence can now be 10 ft long. This saw is now the dream machine in our shop- smooth, quiet, accurate, the fence always stays square and is never a pain to position. I custom fitted a dust collection system to it, and it's the only thing you hear running when both it and the saw are turned on.

Some old stuff should be passed on, but my eyes always perk up when I see stuff like that. Lots of stuff even decades old is worth more than what you'd pay for the new equivalent.

boslab
10-19-2014, 04:38 PM
Turn it into a router table?
Mark