PDA

View Full Version : ZAY7032G head set horizontal for drilling/boring?

patclem
10-20-2014, 11:54 AM
I have a ZAY7032G mill drill. I think it's the same gear head as a square column RF but it has a round column. Anyhow, I have a friend that wants me to help him drill a bunch of 1.25" holes in 4' pieces of railroad iron, across the narrow part. It's a long story but it's a legitimate job. He barters with me for material, etc. I thought about lowering the head, rotating it 90 degrees horizontally and around the column to drill the holes with the head horizontal. But, is this a safe way to run my mill for any length of time? I'm worried about the lubrication in the head while it's running.

I could come up with some elaborate way to mount the material on angle brackets but it seems like a lot of difficult rigging. But, it doesn't have to be precision. And unfortunately the holes are already there, too small, and have to be bored out to size.

Thanks in advance.

Rosco-P
10-20-2014, 01:08 PM
Clamp the rail to a pair of angle plates or even a piece of 3x3 steel angle.

patclem
10-20-2014, 01:48 PM
That's probably right. It doesn't have to be precision that will probably work. I have a piece of 3x3 3/16 angle that would be perfect. Put a couple holes in it for mounting it to the table.