PDA

View Full Version : Just about to order a Diamond Tool Holder

JimDobson
10-23-2014, 07:20 PM
Spent a few hours watching videos and reading about these Diamond Tool Holders and am very close to ordering one.
Am I falling for the marketing or are these as good as what they are talked up to be?

Here's the link -
http://www.eccentricengineering.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2&Itemid=17

tsmartin_98
10-23-2014, 09:00 PM
I like mine. I haven't use it a lot but it's worked good so far.
TS

Stepside
10-23-2014, 09:11 PM
I have one I bought from Rudy Kouhoupt ar a show in Oregon. It is my "go to tool" on my SB9. For bushings with shoulders and similiar parts it is real handy. It is mounted in a quick change block that I built that sets the desired 12 degree angle. The quick change block is a great improvement over the lantern toolpost.

_Paul_
10-23-2014, 09:35 PM
I have had one for years also have a few homemade tangential variants, they are good cut very well and single facet sharpening is a real boon, there are quite a few home made designs on the interweb so if you want to save a few bucks....

Mike Cox's site (http://mikesworkshop.weebly.com/tangential-tool-holder.html)

GadgetBuilder (http://www.gadgetbuilder.com/ToolHolders.html#Tangent)

Diamond Toolholder review (http://modelengineeringwebsite.com/Diamond_tool.html)

Paul

mc_n_g
10-24-2014, 12:19 AM
I have had one for years and would not sell it. I like it but is it the best thing in the world...no.
I still go to my ground HSS blanks and insert tools (carbide and HSS) depending upon what I am cutting.
Don't get me wrong, it is a good tool but not the best thing since sliced bread.
I would rather get another 7-10 quick change tool holders than one tool.
This all depends on what you have in the shop right now.

thaiguzzi
10-24-2014, 01:08 AM
They can really hog off DOC too, even on SB 9" etc. I find the best thing about them is quickness of re- sharpening. Literally off the holder, into the jig, 2 seconds on the bench grinder, back in the holder and away again. Complete time taken, less than a minute. I also have plenty of butt welded HSS form tools, home made solid shank HSS grinds, and the odd carbide and insert tipped tooling. It does get used a lot.

Frank Ford
10-24-2014, 01:19 AM
I use mine for turning plastic, especially soft stuff like urethane. I can easily sharpen the tool to an incredibly sharp delicate pointy-spindly shape that shears like crazy with its tangential attack

Pete49
10-24-2014, 09:01 AM
I find its a versatile tool and use a bit of 1/4" round HSS sharpened in the jig....nice cut on plastics and metal
Pete

Lew Hartswick
10-24-2014, 09:52 AM
Make your own and see if it would have been worth the price. :-) Use the saved cash for something
that can't be made so easy.
...lew...

JimDobson
10-24-2014, 04:46 PM
Thanks for the replies.

sarge41
10-24-2014, 07:24 PM
Make your own and see if it would have been worth the price. :-) Use the saved cash for something
that can't be made so easy.
...lew...

Yea, I agree. It's a good project. Built my first one about 45 years ago. At that time, Alcoa had a patent on them and used them in the quality control labs. Since I was an apprentice machinist, My boss had me build a couple for our labs. Good project. Good luck.
Sarge

JRouche
10-24-2014, 10:38 PM
Spent a few hours watching videos and reading about these Diamond Tool Holders and am very close to ordering one.
Am I falling for the marketing or are these as good as what they are talked up to be?

Here's the link -
http://www.eccentricengineering.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2&Itemid=17

Hey Jim. Thanks for the info. Looks like a nice tool to have. Kinda pricey but they look like they are quality and there was some planning that needs to be paid for.

I agree with the others, it would be a great project. Dont forget HSM magazine had an article for one also as well as projects in metal I think.

Hard to do though without a mill or shaper :) I kinda wish you didnt post it though. Know why??? I want to buy a set!!! Dont wanna make one. Not right now.

Let us know if you buy a set and how you like them K? JR

oldtiffie
10-24-2014, 11:26 PM
I have read a good bit about it over time but have not - am still not - convinced that I need (or want) one as I've got by very well with the common run of the mill stuff for a long time.

JimDobson
10-25-2014, 12:09 AM
Hi guys,
I have a Sieg Mini Mill, but I admit....I honestly don'tthink I possess the skills to fabricate one of these, so I would have topurchase one.

Doc Nickel
10-25-2014, 12:11 AM
I got one with the tooling that came with one of my lathes. It's interesting, and has it's uses, but it's no magic bullet. I guess I don't do enough "normal" turning to bother- the typical diamond tool can't do right-hand cuts or shoulders well, or groove, and you have to regrind the tip for threading, it can only do the shallowest of face counterbores, etc.

I mean, nothing wrong with it, I'm sure it works well for many users. I personally just don't see any real benefit over normal HSS other than it's supposedly "easier to grind". (Which is horsepucky, but I won't get into that. :)

Doc.