PDA

View Full Version : O.T. Elm tree mitigation

A.K. Boomer
10-24-2014, 12:25 PM
Elm's are like gigantic weeds - they grow out of control and get so lanky they eventually end up breaking, it's pretty strong wood, it just does not know how to regulate itself,

so when you have a half dozen of them leaning over your house it can make you a little nervous esp. in spring snow storms that load the hell out of them whilst your roof is already getting taxed to the max...

so you can pay thousands to hire someone with all their fancy equipment or you can buy a 35 dollar rope/chain/saw...

I was going to build my own out of a chainsaw chain and some rope but decided to google it first and glad I did,

not only do they make them that cut in both directions of pull - they make them that have teeth on both sides,
so you cant miss, get a small line up over whatever limb you want eliminated (be creative) - drag the rope up and over and keep pulling till the teeth go up and over, and it's "bub-bye",

actually not quite that simple - iv had to modify my chain and cutters and they do tend to bind when your almost through and also form too radical an angle in the middle after cutting and that does not help either, but - you can get a friend to pull on one side and then you on the other and it will just cut with a mild vector and will not bind - you can also hook up a pulley and do it all yourself...

anyways, when I first bought it I was wondering if I was ever going to get my moneys worth, I think it was a couple months ago,,, since then iv taken down about 30 limbs and removed the threat by about 90% and major threat by 100%
Not to mentioned saved thousands of dollars in tree removal costs - so yes very happy with it... you just have to use common sense and have a little strategy with it...

It comes with a throw bag you fill with sand and toss up over a limb, if you have even slightly high limbs don't even bother you will just lose it up in the tree and get it tangled, iv taken down limbs a good 35 to 40 feet high standing on the peak of my roof with what looks like a 25 foot long fishing pole I built, I hang a weighted rubber suspension bushing with small line over the unfortunate limb and then it's a done deal - its ass is mine...

These pics are of a way lower limb that I did not even have to add extension rope to the unit to get to it...

it however has been the largest one I took down and goes to show you what can be done with one of these incredible little tools,,, and about 15 minutes of elbow grease...

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r249/AK_Boomer/DSC03591_zps21d779ad.jpg (http://s146.photobucket.com/user/AK_Boomer/media/DSC03591_zps21d779ad.jpg.html)

this is a closer look - and yes I got the chain in a bind but when I seen the angle of the gap increasing after about a half hour I knew it's goose was cooked and just sat on the porch and grabbed a brew to enjoy the show (and make sure nobody walked under it),,,

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r249/AK_Boomer/DSC03592_zps4676a3e7.jpg (http://s146.photobucket.com/user/AK_Boomer/media/DSC03592_zps4676a3e7.jpg.html)

and anybody who tells me that elm is not very strong wood I would have to argue with them --- and while this limb was not at a total horizontal angle it still was very impressive the little it was hanging by, and even after going more of an angle then as seen in the above pics it still did not want to give it up and took yet another half hour of waiting... This stuff is heavy too - im guessing the limb weighed around 6 to 700 lbs...

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r249/AK_Boomer/DSC03593_zpsa747d0f8.jpg (http://s146.photobucket.com/user/AK_Boomer/media/DSC03593_zpsa747d0f8.jpg.html)

tlfamm
10-24-2014, 01:38 PM
"so you can pay thousands to hire someone with all their fancy equipment or you can buy a 35 dollar rope/chain/saw"

Whose product did you wind up purchasing?

And Dutch Elm Disease - not present in your area?

Peter.
10-24-2014, 01:59 PM
Two elms came down in London in high winds last week. One of them killed a woman passing in the street.

justanengineer
10-24-2014, 02:16 PM
I hate those dam snaggly things. My brother has several of them growing right behind his barn, about a dozen trunks each 3'+ diameter at the butt and ~30' tall growing at all angles out of what I suspect are 5-6 main trunks underground. He asked me one spring to look into hacking them up for firewood and to keep them from falling on the barn. I worked a half day every week for the entire summer with a chainsaw, cut several cords of wood, and didnt put a dent in the dam things. They grow so fast you wouldnt know I cut anything just a few years later.

A.K. Boomer
10-24-2014, 02:40 PM
"so you can pay thousands to hire someone with all their fancy equipment or you can buy a 35 dollar rope/chain/saw"

Whose product did you wind up purchasing?

And Dutch Elm Disease - not present in your area?

This is the one I got - most others only have cutting teeth on one side and some kind of weighted bar they count on flipping it in the right direction - can imagine lots of snags and frustration with that type - no thanks...

It does look like a toy and the D-rings will open up on you if you pull hard enough so there are some mods you have to go through as you go along...
http://www.amazon.com/PockeTech-Sharpener-Throwing-Satisfaction-Guarantee/dp/B00IDRYDIW

My Elms are Chinese and while may not be immune to dutch elm disease are far more resistant so im told, also have not had any problems with them --- that way... just out of control growth like JAE is talking about...

mike4
10-24-2014, 07:08 PM
Why let them get that high in the first place ?

I removed a large hardwood tree by cutting the limbs as much as possible from an elevating work platform . then digging the stump out using a dozer from work that had to be load tested before returning it to the customer .

It took a weekend , now no tree threat to my house.

Michael

RoyClemens
10-24-2014, 11:24 PM
I have had a theory for years that if you would plant 2 Chinese elms for, and place a wood stove in, every house in America we could practically eliminate the need for natural gas and propane in the country. I'm always trimming the blasted things or just picking up the limbs they shed.

Roy

Guido
10-24-2014, 11:57 PM
The kids bought an older home, complete with pissellums all around. Wind came up one night and left one tree leaning, somewhat, dead center of a brick chimney/fireplace, if/when it falls.

Phone call to the homeowner insurance guy, problem explained. 'Ya wanna remove this tree or replace a brick chimney and roof damage.

'We'll send a tree removal guy with tools, labor, right out, keep everyone away from that tree'. And, thanks for calling. Problem solved.

A.K. Boomer
10-25-2014, 08:09 AM
My insurance company already replaced my roof when they really didn't even have too, shingles were just so old they were falling off on their own but they called it wind damage for me and never even raised my rates, I figured it out and about all the time iv been here they about broke even so far, so not going to "push it" they may very well do what you said but then I could also understand a rate hike after that...

Just bringing it to some others attention on how a typical hillbilly without any real equipment can actually gain some control over these monsters without having to spend a bunch of monies in doing so, it's a great thing... and I don't want to totally remove them just yet cuz I do like the shade... but once there gone you can bet im going with a totally different species.

A.K. Boomer
10-25-2014, 09:45 AM
I have had a theory for years that if you would plant 2 Chinese elms for, and place a wood stove in, every house in America we could practically eliminate the need for natural gas and propane in the country. I'm always trimming the blasted things or just picking up the limbs they shed.

Roy

It's true but it would be one stinky nation,,, at least the chinese ones smell bad even when cutting them -- then you apply some heat and it even gets worse,,, it is like coal though - lasts all night long but the other drawback besides the smell is that they leave about 1/3rd ash from their original size, crazy amount of ash to have to get rid of all the time... pretty nasty tree's all the way around.