PDA

View Full Version : south bend 9 apron lock problem

pete1972
10-24-2014, 03:08 PM
well just found out my apron lock is broke on the south bend 9. weird too cuz i just went to try it and with very little pressure the bolt broke. by the looks it was already partly broke but now its in 2 pieces>( the lock itself that rides on the bed was already broke so just icing on the cake:mad: so my question is is it possible to make my own replacement out of steel or is this just a bad idea. i've looked on ebay but didn't see one that looked like the half i have. any suggestions guys?

duckman
10-24-2014, 06:14 PM
Just make it, it's only a clamp.

mike4
10-24-2014, 06:40 PM
I replace the cast iron plate with a steel one and have had no problems since , some applications are not suitable for thin cast iron.

Michael

janvanruth
10-25-2014, 08:45 AM
broken bolt and broken plate?
wonder what happened..

pete1972
10-25-2014, 09:12 AM
yup>( i broke the bolt with very little effort too. the cast iron piece turned on the inside as it was already missing half and must of been broke age's ago. weird too that the bolt was made out of cast iron. so now im gonna do my best to carve one out of mild steel. i have half of it to use as a profile and am assuming i can flip it over to use as the profile for the missing side.

pete1972
10-25-2014, 09:15 AM
I replace the cast iron plate with a steel one and have had no problems since , some applications are not suitable for thin cast iron.

Michael did you also make yours Michael ??? if not where did you buy it from?

browne92
10-25-2014, 09:28 AM
Mine was missing, so I made one out of a allen head bolt and a scrap of steel plate. It's been working for years.