PDA

View Full Version : B&S #9 collets

SirLesPatterson
10-24-2014, 06:26 PM
An Ellis diving head dropped into my lap today (ouch!). It looks good but I wish it was 5C or at least R8. If anyone has a lead on some second hand Brown & Sharpe #9 collets a nudge in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Rosco-P
10-24-2014, 06:36 PM
A new set of B&S #9 collets can be bougth off Fleabay. You wouldn't find R8 in a dividing head, that taper is for tool holding, not work holding. Don't think too many dividing heads were made that use 5C either. I've seen only one and can't remember what brand, but it wasn't chinee.

mattthemuppet
10-24-2014, 06:48 PM
I may be wrong (!) but I vaguely remember seeing CDCO or some other online discount tool seller with BS9 collet sets for reasonable money. May be worth doing some digging.

PS. I hope you have some ice packs to hand, that sounded painful!

SirLesPatterson
10-24-2014, 06:49 PM
Yeah, I had found the new sets already, ouch! Decided to try and dig up some used B&S #9's on a budget. In the meantime I have had a homeless little chuck sitting around the shop with a 1.5"x8tpi back plate. I think I can open it up to 1.75"x8tpi and fit it to this indexing head. Still want collets too though.

Doozer
10-24-2014, 11:48 PM
I think tools4cheap has them.

--Doozer

Rosco-P
10-25-2014, 08:12 AM
Yeah, I had found the new sets already, ouch!

Are you sh!tting me? The cost for the new Fleabay collets are a hell of a lot less than what they would have cost new in the 50's or 60's. You got a free dividing head that probably cost a thou when new and you're grumbling about tooling it up?

The Fleabay seller is Tools for Cheap.

justanengineer
10-25-2014, 10:00 AM
Now now ladies, untwist them panties.... :P

Many pro shops make simple adapters so oddball attachments and machines use common tooling which they buy in bulk. One thing you could do is simply make a spindle nose adapter similar to how most lathes adapt from a MT in the headstock to a 5c or other common collet taper. You could also use a collet chuck threaded onto the spindle, granted the "common" collet sizes in both solutions depends on the spindle size.

http://cdn3.volusion.com/hpruc.gvutw/v/vspfiles/photos/10146-2T.jpg

SirLesPatterson
10-25-2014, 10:06 AM
Are you sh!tting me?

I assure you, the last thing I would do is that. :)

The cost for the new Fleabay collets are a hell of a lot less than what they would have cost new in the 50's or 60's.

Ultimately value is is relative to availability and the individuals need/budget. I don't mind spending money on tools and, yes, $150 isn't the end of the world if I really needed those collets right now. I'll give it some time, check around online and a few local places first, then if necessary spring for new. I recently bought a bigger lathe and a plasma cutter so 'belt is tightened' to let the budget recover. In the meantime I'll get this little 3-jaw chuck I've been saving fitted up to it.

You got a free dividing head that probably cost a thou when new and you're grumbling about tooling it up?

Was not free. It was however a good value and unexpected find that I am very grateful for to have been able to add to my toolage.

I think tools4cheap has them.

I bought my ER40 setup from Tools4Cheap, Jeff seems to be good fellow.

Rosco-P
10-25-2014, 03:58 PM
Was not free. It was however a good value and unexpected find that I am very grateful for to have been able to add to my toolage.

You said, "dropped into your lap". For most, that would imply free.

SirLesPatterson
10-25-2014, 06:26 PM
Well... I went to a place to buy one thing, then ended up coming home with a $50 dividing head too. I suppose 'unexpectedly snatched up' would have been more accurate. Didn't know 'dropped into lap' meant free. I stand corrected. :)

Rosco-P
10-25-2014, 06:58 PM
Well... I went to a place to buy one thing, then ended up coming home with a $50 dividing head too. I suppose 'unexpectedly snatched up' would have been more accurate. Didn't know 'dropped into lap' meant free. I stand corrected. :)

$50 is almost free for a good used American dividing head. I'd expect to pay and have seen Ellis heads sell for a lot more than that at live auctions. Is it complete, sector arms, crank, dividing plates, etc?

SirLesPatterson
10-26-2014, 10:17 AM
Seems to be pretty complete. The gentleman made a good effort to find all the plates in his posession (3) that fit it (He repairs machines, had a pile of misc hole plates). I'll post pics after I clean it up.

gzig5
10-28-2014, 09:58 AM
I would suggest cobbling together an ER collet chuck from a B&S 9 end mill holder. Graft a lump on the end, cut the taper and thread for a nut. It would fit your first requirement (cheap) and be much more versatile than a set of fractional collets. You may also find a commercial version that takes Universal Z or Y collets. These are tool holding collets but are still available for $5-$10 on ebay or new.

I have pretty much divested myself of the B&S 9 tooling that I once had but I kept an EM holder to create a chuck (or maybe a center) for my L&W dividing head.

Rosco-P
10-28-2014, 03:33 PM
I would suggest cobbling together an ER collet chuck from a B&S 9 end mill holder. Graft a lump on the end, cut the taper and thread for a nut.

IMHO, too many mill out there that use B&S #9 like Burke, Wells Index, American Machine Tool, Gorton, etc., to cannibalize something like an end mill holder. If you want to make a collet chuck, use a B&S #9 end mill as the donnor material.

gzig5
10-30-2014, 01:07 PM
IMHO, too many mill out there that use B&S #9 like Burke, Wells Index, American Machine Tool, Gorton, etc., to cannibalize something like an end mill holder. If you want to make a collet chuck, use a B&S #9 end mill as the donnor material.

Six to one, half dozen to the other. Many of the EM holders I had were crap, worn out, or modified.

Ohio Mike
10-30-2014, 05:21 PM
Why cobble up an ER collet chuck? You can hold a 3/4" straight shank ER collet chuck in a 3/4" B&S collet.