PDA

View Full Version : Male breast cancer

oldtiffie
10-28-2014, 09:13 PM
If you think or thought that breast cancer was a "women only" issue and not a "men" issue you'd be dead wrong. Its more prevalent than many men know or will admit or face up to.

https://www.google.com.au/?gws_rd=ssl#q=male+breast+cancer

Jon Heron
10-28-2014, 09:37 PM
Your quite the harbinger of good news aint ya...
Cheers,
Jon

mike4
10-28-2014, 10:02 PM
Better to be forewarned, I have seen to many close friends affected by the various forms of cancer.

Michael

oldtiffie
10-28-2014, 10:48 PM
Cheers,
Jon

It sure seems that way John, but it is a fact of life (and death) for many men and ignoring it won't make it go away.

It came to light as part of a discussion with one of my sisters who is a Palliative Care nurse (mobile) and she sees quite a few men with breast cancer at various stages of progression.

Palliative care is needed at advanced stages of many cancers - prostate and breast included.

It seems that many men are diagnosed later than many/most women are as women are very aware of it and get checked regularly and earlier.

Many men seem to accept that "man boobs" can be a side effect of hormone therapy for prostate cancer and the breasts are very evident and are very similar to women's breasts in terms of form but with a lower incidence than that for women.

Have a nice day.

Jon Heron
10-28-2014, 10:57 PM
Many men seem to accept that "man boobs" can be a side effect of hormone therapy
Mine are a result of too much beer!
:p
Cheers,
Jon

A.K. Boomer
10-28-2014, 11:06 PM
Cheers,
Jon

http://www.hulu.com/watch/19280

dang Tiffer, that first link was almost a turn on... wha whaaaa

Jon Heron
10-28-2014, 11:11 PM
I guess hulu isnt for us canucks!

Sorry, currently our video library can only be watched from within the United States

Hulu is committed to making its content available worldwide. To do so, we must work through a number of legal and business issues, including obtaining international streaming rights. Know that we are working to make this happen and will continue to do so. Given the international background of the Hulu team, we have both a professional and personal interest in bringing Hulu to a global audience.

Cheers,
Jon

A.K. Boomer
10-28-2014, 11:21 PM
try this,

https://screen.yahoo.com/debbie-downer-birthday-party-000000016.html

and if it works tell me if you could keep a straight face throughout the whole thing.

Jon Heron
10-28-2014, 11:31 PM
This video is not available in your location due to provider license restrictions.

WTF, I have never seen this BS before...
If I get energetic I will spoof my ip tomorrow and watch it lol
Jon

A.K. Boomer
10-28-2014, 11:36 PM
oh that's a heartbreaker dude - debbie downer is the ultimate buzzkill to, but she's so much of a buzzkill she'll make you LYAO...

if I get ambitious I will try to find yet another link... wahh wahhh

oldtiffie
10-28-2014, 11:49 PM
oh that's a heartbreaker dude - debbie downer is the ultimate buzzkill to, but she's so much of a buzzkill she'll make you LYAO...

if I get ambitious I will try to find yet another link... wahh wahhh

Any help?

https://www.google.com.au/?gws_rd=ssl#q=debbie+downer+birthday+party

wtrueman
10-29-2014, 01:36 AM
I'am probably going to be shouted off this thread but please hear me out on this one. About one third of us men are going to die from cancer. However with today's doctor's opinions, a lot of these opinions in action can go to slowing down OR controlling our cancer so we die in a realistic time sound, ie old age, without agrivation. As well, I am 67. Have had a heart attack and have the "finger every year but have been told not to come back for two years. But do not trust them with my body any more then my finger. I still go to my shop everyday and any money I make is used to buy something else I do not need. Wayne.

oldtiffie
10-29-2014, 02:48 AM
I can't see you being "shouted off" (from) here.

I quite agree with what you said as it applies to you - and probably many others as well.

torchroadster
10-29-2014, 09:00 AM
If you think or thought that breast cancer was a "women only" issue and not a "men" issue you'd be dead wrong. Its more prevalent than many men know or will admit or face up to.

https://www.google.com.au/?gws_rd=ssl#q=male+breast+cancer

This point is especially timely for me. A close friend passed last weekend after an 8 year battle with cancer. His original diagnosis was breast cancer, but over time it spread to other areas. He was 64. Breast cancer is not just a female issue.

dp
10-29-2014, 02:23 PM
What are the key statistics about breast cancer in men? The American Cancer Society estimates for breast cancer in men in the United States for 2014 are:

About 2,360 new cases of invasive breast cancer will be diagnosed
About 430 men will die from breast cancer

Breast cancer is about 100 times less common among men than among women. For men, the lifetime risk of getting breast cancer is about 1 in 1,000. The number of breast cancer cases in men relative to the population has been fairly stable over the last 30 years.

http://www.cancer.org/cancer/breastcancerinmen/detailedguide/breast-cancer-in-men-key-statistics

That is quite a bit higher than ebola deaths in the US.

jdunmyer
10-29-2014, 07:50 PM
Here's a commercial (more of a public service announcement) that wouldn't be shown in the US, but should be: http://adsoftheworld.com/media/TV/mcac_rhian_touches_herself

randyjaco
10-29-2014, 09:36 PM
My brother in law died of what was initially breast cancer. Had he just gone to see a doc when he had the symptoms he'd probably be alive today. In stead he and his family got about 5 years of Hell, finally metastasizing to terminal brain cancer.

Randy

oldtiffie
10-29-2014, 09:59 PM
Thanks Randy - a good and brave post.

Perhaps some need to have their breasts checked as their women-folk do.

I have included a link for prostate cancer and lymph nodes but it applies pretty well to many (all?) cancers - breast cancer very much included - that have escaped the prostate envelope and start spreading/metasising elsewhere (everywhere?).

https://www.google.com.au/?gws_rd=ssl#q=prostate+cancer+and+lymph+node+metas tasis

MichaelP
10-30-2014, 12:40 AM
I'm lost. Are we still on a machining forum?:o

oldtiffie
10-30-2014, 02:07 AM
Yup - shore am.

There are many on this forum who are "in the zone" for prostate and other cancers and if it gets them there may well be very li9mited time in the shop.

And it is so easily detected and quite effective treatment available for it - and more time in the shop.

dp
10-30-2014, 02:18 AM
Technically, the site name suggests this is a site about home shop machinists. Presumably what they do, think, create, how they live, what their interests are, etc. That is pretty much what the introduction says, too.

oldtiffie
10-30-2014, 02:26 AM
Posted by DP:

What are the key statistics about breast cancer in men?

The American Cancer Society estimates for breast cancer in men in the United States for 2014 are:

• About 2,360 new cases of invasive breast cancer will be diagnosed
• About 430 men will die from breast cancer

Breast cancer is about 100 times less common among men than among women. For men, the lifetime risk of getting breast cancer is about 1 in 1,000. The number of breast cancer cases in men relative to the population has been fairly stable over the last 30 years.

Thanks Dennis.

Sure the incidence of men with breast cancer as compared to that of/for women is quite low in itself but those 430 per year who die from it might have been treated at a lower earlier stage if they had been diagnosed earlier.

In short, of the 2,360 who will be diagnosed and of those 430 (430/2,360 x 100 = 18.2% = 1 in 5.5) which brings it closer to home.

Its all too easy to make a small effort to potentially extend your time in the shop and enjoyment of it.

dp
10-30-2014, 03:07 AM
Thanks Dennis.

Sure the incidence of men with breast cancer as compared to that of/for women is quite low in itself but those 430 per year who die from it might have been treated at a lower earlier stage if they had been diagnosed earlier.

It was actually higher than I thought it would be, Tiffie. Both the incidence and the mortality rate were surprising.

AD5MB
10-30-2014, 11:20 AM
A while back I developed a hard lump where my left breast would be. got a mammogram. Doc said, "what meds are you taking?" when I got to Spironolact he said "stop right there, and stop taking spironolact"

Spironolact causes gynecomastia. If I kept taking spironolact I would have moobs right now. Ugly, hairy, poorly shaped moobs. I would have to shave my ugly, hairy, poorly shaped moobs.

Doc says he sees one case of medicine induced gynecomastia a day. lump is gone.