PDA

View Full Version : Do I have a place in my shop for a Burke #4?

Darrp
10-30-2014, 12:48 PM
I have been keeping an eye on an ad for Burke #4 that someone is selling locally. I think it is a really cute little machine. If I buy it am I ever going to use it?

I have 2 other mills, a Burke Millrite and a ZX30 round column. I have a 24’ x 26’ shop with a Chin Hung 400 x 1100 and a Standard Modern 11” x 36” and other assorted things... so I really don’t have a lot of extra space.

What can this #4 do that my other 2 mills can’t do?

EddyCurr
10-30-2014, 02:17 PM
Actually, there appear to be two of those for you to choose between.
The patio ornament (1028045964) is a bit of a project. Looks like both
potentially include stands, but the 115V/1-Ph motor, tooling and condition
of the other unit will make up for the price difference in more than one
person's opinion.

"What can this #4 do that my other 2 mills can’t do?"

To paraphrase ...

"What can I accomplish with a horizontal mill that I can't
accomplish with two vertical mills."

To answer in part, here are a couple of benefits of an h-mill

The horizontal arbor offers the possibility of gang-milling using multiple
cutters with similar/dissimilar profiles together or spaced out across the
width of the arbor. While a v-mill can also chuck up an arbor, it is less
common for your machines to have an over-arm for the outboard end
to provide double-shear support/rigidity.
Rigid set-up and larger mills enable more aggressive slab milling.

digiex_chris
10-30-2014, 03:39 PM
I've found an endmill held in the horizontal spindle to be handy for a few things, like milling the side of something bolted down to the table where it would be very much less stable to hold it otherwise. Like milling one gear tooth off of a large diameter gear. Otherwise on a vertical you'd need some other setup, like putting it on a large angle plate.

Horizontals are also excellent at gear cutting!

Also useful as a gigantic swing lathe, if you put a faceplate or other adapter on the spindle.

Darrp
10-31-2014, 12:14 PM
Eddy,
“The patio ornament” Ha, good one.... grandma in the background too.  I always get a kick out of the guys that sell a rifle on the web and they lay it on the floor for the pic... and they post a picture of a rifle with 10 hairy toes under it.

Chris,
Yup, I guess gearcutting is the big one.

I guess it’s really a matter of looking at them as horizontals and verticals. I recently sold my Tom Senior with a comparable size table to the #4, I only used it a couple times a year.

If I were to really get something I would use then it would have to be a much larger machine. It just seemed that there is a large following of the Burk #4s on the web.

flylo
10-31-2014, 02:41 PM
Crazy wabbitt. You ALWAYS have room for one more machine, just stop over & I'll show you. No promise you'll have room to use any or all, but It's all good!

Darrp
10-31-2014, 04:41 PM
Crazy wabbitt. You ALWAYS have room for one more machine, just stop over & I'll show you. No promise you'll have room to use any or all, but It's all good!

I am not saying that I won't buy more ... I just want it to be the right one(s). ;)

legendboy
10-31-2014, 05:29 PM
I have seen that mill. I think the guy is asking a bit too much for it. Has been for sale for months