PDA

View Full Version : sourcing neodymium magnets in Canada

darryl
10-30-2014, 09:05 PM
Been looking for a supplier within my province, bc. I would have thought I could find one in Vancouver, but no luck so far.

Here's something I got a chuckle from- a business from who knows where- China-
"Our N52 Block Neodymium Magnet has a strong power and for long time to use as a better price." Just what I need- to use a magnet as a price.

bob_s
10-30-2014, 10:28 PM
Been looking for a supplier within my province, bc. I would have thought I could find one in Vancouver, but no luck so far.

"Our N52 Block Neodymium Magnet has a strong power and for long time to use as a better price." Just what I need- to use a magnet as a price.

Princess Auto usually has packages of them on sale every couple of weeks or so.

-bob

Ps. Usually strong enough to stick to all of your loose pocket change

FETOAU
10-30-2014, 10:34 PM
This is a USA source that has a wide variety of shapes, sizes and strengths along with excellent prices and service. I do not normally give recommendations, but I have been very pleased with this company.

http://www.kjmagnetics.com/

Duffy
10-30-2014, 10:48 PM
Lee Valley Tools.

darryl
10-30-2014, 11:30 PM
KJ does have an extensive selection- the others don't. I've bought from Lee Valley before, and their prices were reasonable- Princess Auto has a very small selection. But they and most places sell only round disc magnets, and I'm looking for a rectangular magnet, 30 x 20 x 5 mm, or a rough equivalent in inch sizing. I've seen them as low as $3 something american, and as high as $12 american. Seems the preferred shipping is UPS, at $70-100 for 5 kg and less, and that's still a big turn-off for me.

Anybody know what I'd be paying as far as duty for these to enter Canada from the US? Or what to look out for if importing direct from China?

bob_s
10-31-2014, 12:56 AM
Darryl:

Have you tried looking at the deal extreme website. They seem to have some that may fit your criteria.
They also seem to be able to ship into Canada using stealth technology, bypassing big brother and all of his parasitic cohorts!

Willy
10-31-2014, 02:31 AM
Try Aliexpress.
Two 30 x 20 x 5 mm neodymium magnets, $5.99 US free shipping.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2PCS-N35-Super-Strong-Block-Cuboid-Magnets-Rare-Earth-Neodymium-Magnet-30-x-20-x-5/1446491162.html

Or ten magnets for $2.20 each + free shipping.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Lot-10pcs-N35-Super-Strong-Block-Cuboid-Magnets-Rare-Earth-Neodymium-Magnet-30-x-20-x/1446566793.html

bob_s
10-31-2014, 03:10 AM
Darryl:

Have you tried looking at the deal extreme website. They seem to have some that may fit your criteria.
They also seem to be able to ship into Canada using stealth technology, bypassing big brother and all of his parasitic cohorts!

See

http://www.dx.com/s/neodymium+magnet

30mm x 20mm x 5mm. (5pieces). $8.19

+ free shipping

martik
10-31-2014, 03:27 AM
I've found Banggood more reasonable then DX lately:

http://www.banggood.com/buy/Magnets-neodymium.html

Weekend_Scientist
10-31-2014, 09:07 AM
If you're willing to try China, would you be willing to try Dallas, Texas? :)

I tend to get my magnets from Applied Magnets: http://www.magnet4less.com/

[edit] Sorry, I missed the bit about the extreme taxes/fees relating to shipping a few little bits of metal from USA to Canada. Nevermind, buy from China.

digiex_chris
10-31-2014, 10:36 AM
yeah it's weird. I live in Canada not even 30 minutes north of the US border, and I get stuff from Japan and China with free or cheap shipping all the time, and have never been charged taxes, even with properly declared values. But shipping 20 miles on the same continent from the USA to Canada to an address right on the major trade route from the USA to Canada? Bizzarre. Last week I brought a package across the Canada/US border (into Canada) myself. The package cost $200, with free shipping inside the US. I ran down to Pembina, ND, where I'd shipped it to a parcel service, paid $35 at the border, and went my merry way Buying the same thing in Canada would have been about $300, so I was happy. The week after, I bought something else with a similar sticker price, but they said they could UPS it to me for $10. Good deal I thought! When it arrived I ended up paying $35 in taxes (expected) and $100 in brokerage fees (unexpected)! Would have been better off buying it in Canada. It's like UPS or Fedex thinks crossing that border is the same as shipping to a hut in Nicaragua or across the ocean to Australia or something. I really don't understand the huge brokerage fees.

Just got a 35 lb package from Japan. Cost me $3 to ship it, straight to my door.

digiex_chris
10-31-2014, 10:40 AM
Anybody know what I'd be paying as far as duty for these to enter Canada from the US? Or what to look out for if importing direct from China?

UPS/Fedex seem to have ridiculous costs for crossing the border, but every package I've received via USPS/Canada Post hasn't had taxes or brokerage fees on them. With those ones you seem to only have to pay once. Might not always be the case, but I've had good luck there.

I'm wondering if there's special shipping regulations for magnets, that would drive the cost up? Usually I don't get hit with that $70-100 till after it's crossed the border.

sch
11-01-2014, 12:16 AM
Other Canadians have commented on the gross disparity between UPS (costly) and USPS (cheap) in receiving shipments from the US. Unfortunately a lot of vendors in the US don't have
a USPS option. It is not just the magnets.

RogerP
11-01-2014, 01:05 AM
We in the UK have exactly that problem with UPS to the point I wont buy if they are the only carriers the seller will use.

darryl
11-01-2014, 01:34 AM
Thanks for all the input. Through looking at the sites you all have posted, I found one that lists the 30 x 20 x 5 magnet in grade N50 at $12 for 5 pcs, free shipping, etc. This is what I'm looking for, and the price is reasonable. Free shipping- well, I don't understand that, but if it's true then I may have a winner. Magnets 365. Now to try to find out if there's going to be some kind of monetary shock besides the exchange rate.

Mark Rand
11-01-2014, 06:35 AM
Why not buy the magnets from China? That's where they will probably have been made. Cut out the middle man.

Willy
11-01-2014, 07:47 AM
Why not buy the magnets from China? That's where they will probably have been made. Cut out the middle man.

I believe Magnets 365 is in China, hence the free shipping. No one in the US offers free shipping to Canada.:)

Sorry Darryl but I did not see the N50 requirement, but yes those are available on Aliexpress as well.
As a point of interest, below is the link to Magnets 365's store as it appears on Aliexpress.

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/1047347

Edited to add: Don't expect any surprises when the package arrives from China, I have yet to pay any additional or hidden charges when items have come from China. Well except for one big ticket item and then it was only five bucks.

Willy
11-01-2014, 07:58 AM
Other Canadians have commented on the gross disparity between UPS (costly) and USPS (cheap) in receiving shipments from the US. Unfortunately a lot of vendors in the US don't have
a USPS option. It is not just the magnets.

Steve I'm not sure what you mean when you say that a lot of vendors in the US do not have a USPS option. Surely everyone has access to the US Postal Service?
Is it perhaps that some merchants are tied into a contract with UPS or Fedex for exclusive shipping rights? What am I missing?

cameron
11-01-2014, 11:13 AM
Steve I'm not sure what you mean when you say that a lot of vendors in the US do not have a USPS option. Surely everyone has access to the US Postal Service?
Is it perhaps that some merchants are tied into a contract with UPS or Fedex for exclusive shipping rights? What am I missing?

Some dealers simply do not present USPS as a shipping choice when you order from Canada, even when they have it as an option for US customers. Sometimes UPS is the only option for Canadian orders.

Having been stung with UPS broker fees higher than the cost of the goods, that's a deal killer for me!

Willy
11-01-2014, 11:57 AM
Some dealers simply do not present USPS as a shipping choice when you order from Canada, even when they have it as an option for US customers. Sometimes UPS is the only option for Canadian orders.

Having been stung with UPS broker fees higher than the cost of the goods, that's a deal killer for me!

I very much agree Cameron, I think all of us up here have had the "UPS/Fedex experience" a time or two, never again!
I'd love to deal with US vendors much more than I do, but like you say the horrendous BS paperwork fees are a deal killer.

Funny thing is even when I have mentioned the staggering overall costs associated with shipping via courier instead of the USPS options, I have simply been told they don't provide that option. This on more than one occasion. It's the US federal postal system for crying out loud, what do you mean you don't have that option?

Sorry Darryl, I didn't mean to derail your thread.

darryl
11-01-2014, 02:31 PM
I'm as guilty of derailing a thread as anybody. I do like to hear everybody's opinion on things, and this UPS type thing does appear to hit a taut string in many. It's good to hear a positive note when it comes to finding, buying, and getting a product in hand.

superUnknown
11-02-2014, 07:35 AM
I've bought from N52 from KJ magnetics in the states. Also picked up some lower grade N46 and compared them to N46 from DX and alienxpress. The cheapos aren't nearly as powerful as the real deal. I found you get what you pay for.

superUnknown
11-02-2014, 07:37 AM

Electronics on Main in Vancouver it's just a few doors down from Lee's electronics, they have lot's of magnets in stock (under 1" diameter, N46)