PDA

View Full Version : Hydraulic Shaper

Mike Burch
11-02-2014, 03:47 AM
I'm not tempted by this, but it does look like a novel idea - at least, I've not come across one before.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/business-farming-industry/industrial/manufacturing-metalwork/other/auction-802328095.htm

superUnknown
11-02-2014, 07:28 AM
Wow, I've never seen hydraulic pressure rated hose clamps.:rolleyes:

alanganes
11-02-2014, 07:53 AM

Good eye! Perhaps that is why the "project never got off the ground." :)

Besides that I have often wondered why this is not a more common setup. Or why I do not see what amounts to a CNC shaper, where the ram and table motions are controlled and coordinated by electronics rather than crankshafts and gear trains. It seems a natural fit that would actually simplify the machine and also make it more flexible. Maybe it is just that shapers had already become less common in commercial shops by the time such controls were common.

Might make a good conversion project that some ambitious HSM could do to rescue an old shaper that is missing a bunch of parts or something.

cameron
11-02-2014, 08:19 AM

The hose clamps are OK, he just couldn't find hydraulic pressure rated sausage casings.

LKeithR
11-02-2014, 09:46 AM
...was going to make into a sausage stuffer... At least it was dual purpose...

justanengineer
11-02-2014, 10:12 AM
Besides that I have often wondered why this is not a more common setup. Or why I do not see what amounts to a CNC shaper

Cincinnati made many hydraulic shapers over a few decades, theyre not all that uncommon. The reason why theyre not more common tho likely is that the hydraulic systems are rather complicated whereas a crank shaper is about as simple of a machine as you can get. I used one in school a few odd times, that big bugger could literally shoot bullets across the shop if a student took too deep of a cut. As for cnc shapers, I dont recall which one now but I have seen pictures in at least one text of a tape controlled nc shaper cutting curved profiles, and several cnc planers in reality so the concept has been used. OTOH, shapers are pretty much obsolete so thats likely why.

JMO, but I'd question the rigidity of the clap-trap machine in that ad.

Michael Edwards
11-02-2014, 10:28 AM
Cincinnati made many hydraulic shapers over a few decades, theyre not all that uncommon. .

Rockford made hydraulic shapers, not Cincinnati. The last series of Cincinnati shapers looked similar to the Rockford and get mistakenly identified as hydraulic, but they are in fact crank shapers.

ME

Bluechips
11-02-2014, 11:48 AM
I'm pretty sure that the big Cincinnati shaper we had in school was hydraulic.

quasi
11-02-2014, 01:39 PM
Back when HSM was a new magazine, there was an article on converting a damaged crank shaper to hydraulic operation.

Old Hat
11-02-2014, 01:49 PM
Rockford made hydraulic shapers, not Cincinnati. The last series of Cincinnati shapers looked similar to the Rockford and get mistakenly identified as hydraulic, but they are in fact crank shapers.

ME

Rockford was really the only maker that got hydraulic shapers and planers to perform well
and by that time an era was at it's close.

I dout a home~brew could be made to work well.

Michael Edwards
11-02-2014, 03:15 PM
I'm pretty sure that the big Cincinnati shaper we had in school was hydraulic.

Google "cincinnati shaper pics" you will see the more modern crank shaper, which looks boxy, but it is not hydraulic.

I think no one in the USA besides Rockford made hydraulic shapers because their shaper was so good it would have been tough to compete with, especially considering the diminishing market for shapers.

ME

loose nut
11-02-2014, 06:36 PM
The ram and the machine in general looks pretty flimsy.

Old Hat
11-02-2014, 07:17 PM
Google "cincinnati shaper pics" you will see the more modern crank shaper, which looks boxy, but it is not hydraulic.

I think no one in the USA besides Rockford made hydraulic shapers because their shaper was so good it would have been tough to compete with, especially considering the diminishing market for shapers.

ME

Rockford's tracer-planer ruled the era, their shapers were terrific.......
Old tool~makers only told me of two other makers that failed and gave it up.
Names escape me.

boslab
11-02-2014, 07:27 PM
Question is was it meant to be a shaper or a hydraulic broach?
Mark

Yow Ling
11-03-2014, 01:37 AM
Butler (?) in the UK made them , and Russian ones branded Stankoimport are common enough

superUnknown
11-03-2014, 08:14 AM
The hose clamps are OK, he just couldn't find hydraulic pressure rated sausage casings.

You have a point, they are generally a matched set.

superUnknown
11-03-2014, 08:22 AM
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/attachments/f20/83850d1376698677-bridgeport-shaper-down-force-sam_0743.jpg
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/attachments/f20/83851d1376698972-bridgeport-shaper-down-force-sam_0740.jpghttp://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/attachments/f20/83788d1376625051-bridgeport-shaper-down-force-sam_0719.jpg

Over on that OTHER forum, some idiot made a hydraulic slotting head attachment for a Bridgeport and got, predictably, reviled back into obscurity with the other heretics.

sarge41
11-03-2014, 08:53 AM
Cincinnati made a hydraulic shaper. I have run one. It was a 20" or 24" machine. The one thing different about it was the stroke was even. A crank shaper runs faster in the middle of the stroke whereas a hydraulic is more even. Good machine

Sarge

Michael Edwards
11-03-2014, 10:18 AM
Cincinnati made a hydraulic shaper. I have run one.e

As a fan of shapers, and owner of a pair of G&E's (16" & 24") I would love to see a pic of a production Cincinnati hydraulic shaper. I have spent many hours in the past scouring the web for shaper info, and yet no one can seem to produce one pic of a hyd Cincinnati. Do that, and I will happily eat some crow. I'm not going to hold my breath.

ME

oldtiffie
11-04-2014, 02:07 AM
Interesting?

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/antique-machinery-history/butler-manufacture-shapers-planers-slotters-238278/

Ian B
11-04-2014, 04:08 AM
If anbody would want to convert a normal (crank) shaper to hydraulic, there's a really handy place to put the hydraulic cylinder - right in the hole that runs beneath the shaper's ram. It's there on most shaper to let the machine swallow round shafting and cut keys etc mid shaft.

For shaper owners who haven't seen this hole (it took me 2 years to find it!), go take a peek.

Ian