PDA

View Full Version : Bpt. Mill Power feed knob question

tjs
11-03-2014, 09:24 AM
I have a Bpt Mill. 2J head I think. I need to figure out how to remove the broken threaded part where the quill feed know was screwed into. I do not have a knob nor the wheel that goes on here either. I got this machine a long time ago and never really bothered with it till I needed to power feed and bore something. I had to use a needle nose to pull this out to engage and disengage. I will be getting a new quill feed reversing knob for this. Do I also need to get the big wheel that I know I will bump my head on and I really do not want it.
I do not know what I need to do to get the whole assembly out. I had the front part where the lever knob is all apart and cleaned it up and then put it back on. I did not want to run into trouble by taking it apart any further.
Thanks for the help

Toolguy
11-03-2014, 10:31 AM
You don't need the big handwheel. Everyone takes that off and usually loses it. You may be able to get the broken off screw out with a small blade screwdriver by pushing it against the rough surface of the broken part and turning counterclockwise. If any of it is sticking out you can cut a slot with a Dremel cutoff wheel and use a blade screwdriver.

Edit - Try to drill the broken part out with a left hand twist drill. The drill may catch and screw it out.

tjs
11-03-2014, 11:14 AM
You don't need the big handwheel. Everyone takes that off and usually loses it. You may be able to get the broken off screw out with a small blade screwdriver by pushing it against the rough surface of the broken part and turning counterclockwise. If any of it is sticking out you can cut a slot with a Dremel cutoff wheel and use a blade screwdriver.

There is none sticking out. It is recessed at least a 1/4" in the hole.There is a new knob on ebay with the threads and everything. I will post a pic tonite of what my issue is. I might need to get the whole assembly out and get it on the lathe to drill what is left of it out. The problem is I do not know how to get the whole ring gear package out.

lakeside53
11-03-2014, 11:32 AM
That is one of the more involved assemblies to get out. You have to disassemble most of the power feed portion of the head after removing the varispeed section. Be sure you are clear on how to adjust the various sections to get the fwd/rev bevel in the correct position on reassembly. I've done many, and some are a real pita to remove. If you are really keen there are a few guides/blogs on how to rebuild a BP head - the lower portion (where you need to disassemble) is the same for 2J and J.

If you decide to just jump into it... the one thing to remember is that BP uses DOUBLE set screws in many places... That's caught a few of us. lol

duckman
11-03-2014, 02:47 PM
If you have a Dremel I use what looks like a dental burr to cut a slot in the end of the broken screw, then use a small screw driver to turn it out . I've seen a lot of broken reversing knobs and have never seen one that's broken off 1/4" in .

Daveb
11-03-2014, 07:13 PM
I had the same problem, I drilled a hole in the broken screw with my Dremel, tapped in the square shank of a small file and unscrewed the broken screw. If you have 1/4 inch of hole, it's probably enough to take the screw for the thimble. Why would you buy the new thimble? It only takes about ten minutes to make one, it needs to revolve on the screw so it's best to sort out the screw first and then make the thimble to fit. There are any number of accessory handwheels available which can be adapted to fit, get one with a small hole and open it out or get one with a bigger hole and make a bush for it. Mark out where the pin goes, drill a hole in the back and tap in a roll pin. The original plastic handwheels break if you drop them so if you buy a new one, put a tiewrap around the thimble so it can't fall off. I leave mine on the machine all the time but if your height is such that it's a hazard to your eyes, make a folding handle or take it off when not in use.

lakeside53
11-03-2014, 07:22 PM
I made a nice thimble from a SHCS, a piece of brass I turned and knurled (with a recess for the SHCS) and a tiny E-clip. Even made it so I can put the hand wheel on.

tjs
11-04-2014, 08:32 AM
I made a nice thimble from a SHCS, a piece of brass I turned and knurled (with a recess for the SHCS) and a tiny E-clip. Even made it so I can put the hand wheel on.
What us the thread size and pitch for this. Sounds like a good idea.

lakeside53
11-04-2014, 11:59 AM
lol.. no idea, but it was the same pitch/thread as the original. Probably 1/4-28 or 10-32. Choose a longer SHCS for the smooth shank length, then cut the threads to the correct length.