PDA

View Full Version : Smart phone cases for machinists?

mars-red
11-03-2014, 10:11 AM
I have finally been dragged into the 21st century... I have my first smartphone. I previously had two incredibly cheap Tracfones, and they suffered all kinds of abuse like little troopers. Those previous phones were quite small and I kept them in my front jeans pocket (not the pocket I keep my keys in, mind you). Over the years, I noticed that the tiny speaker ports got filled up with metal chips... somehow that stuff ended up getting into my pockets and the tiny magnets picked it up. That got me thinking about keeping my new phone protected... and for starters I'll keep it in my back pocket when I'm in the shop. Nevertheless, I'd like to know if anyone here has recommendations for certain features or attributes of phone cases for the shop environment. My phone is an LG G Flex, so if anyone has case recommendations specific to that model that would be even better. I've seen cases with integrated plugs for the various ports, which is great, but I'm still a little worried about the speaker attracting ferrous particles. This phone also has gorilla glass (unlike my previous phones) so I have to imagine the screen will resist scratching much better... given that the screens on my previous phones held up acceptably in the shop environment, I wasn't planning on additional screen protection but I'd still like to know what others' experiences have been in that regard.

Axkiker
11-03-2014, 10:18 AM
Lifeproof or a lifeproof knock off all the way. Im also new to the high end smart phones of today. Prior I just made do with whatever free smart phone I recieved when I signed a new contract. those phones also had the speakers get fileld with chips and screens gunked up with whatever glue or resin or whatever I was working with. The lifeproof cases are waterproof up to 6 feet. So you have no worries regarding coolent, or chips, or glues or whatever.

they take a little getting used to as you need to open the port on the bottom or you sound muffled. Its IMO a small price to pay.

mars-red
11-03-2014, 10:26 AM
Lifeproof or a lifeproof knock off all the way. Im also new to the high end smart phones of today. Prior I just made do with whatever free smart phone I recieved when I signed a new contract. those phones also had the speakers get fileld with chips and screens gunked up with whatever glue or resin or whatever I was working with. The lifeproof cases are waterproof up to 6 feet. So you have no worries regarding coolent, or chips, or glues or whatever.

they take a little getting used to as you need to open the port on the bottom or you sound muffled. Its IMO a small price to pay.

I hadn't heard of Lifeproof before but they look great! They don't have one that fits my phone, though, and I can't seem to find any other comparable cases.

Axkiker
11-03-2014, 10:27 AM
I hadn't heard of Lifeproof before but they look great! They don't have one that fits my phone, though, and I can't seem to find any other comparable cases.

What kind of phone do you have ???? If its the new iphone 6 or plus they I think have them in the works

mars-red
11-03-2014, 10:29 AM
What kind of phone do you have ???? If its the new iphone 6 or plus they I think have them in the works

I mentioned in the original post, it's an LG G Flex. It's been out for a little while now, so I don't expect Lifeproof will make a case for it at this point if they haven't already, but hopefully I'm wrong.

goose
11-03-2014, 10:31 AM
Otterbox.

Various styles, from super duty cases that clip on your belt to slimmer ones that don't add much bulk at all, but still very protective.

I don't know how good the Gorilla glass is, but still I'd recommend a screen protector as well. Especially good if your phone is in the hands of your kids.

Axkiker
11-03-2014, 10:32 AM
I mentioned in the original post, it's an LG G Flex. It's been out for a little while now, so I don't expect Lifeproof will make a case for it at this point if they haven't already, but hopefully I'm wrong.

Sorry I didnt catch that. Yeah if they arent making it by now they prolly wont.

Otterbox maybe ?

mars-red
11-03-2014, 10:41 AM
Sorry I didnt catch that. Yeah if they arent making it by now they prolly wont.

Otterbox maybe ?

Otterbox.

Various styles, from super duty cases that clip on your belt to slimmer ones that don't add much bulk at all, but still very protective.

I don't know how good the Gorilla glass is, but still I'd recommend a screen protector as well. Especially good if your phone is in the hands of your kids.

They do have one style of Otterbox for my phone and it looked like a decent option to me but now that I've seen how the lifeproof cases protect the speaker port, I'm sort of spoiled by that idea.

The kids won't be getting their hands on the phone, and I don't keep anything else in my phone pocket, so the jury's still out on screen protection. I'm waiting to hear some horror stories from other HSMs who keep their gorilla glass phone solo in their pocket, without screen protection.

Thanks for the feedback so far guys, I really appreciate it!

Axkiker
11-03-2014, 10:49 AM
They do have one style of Otterbox for my phone and it looked like a decent option to me but now that I've seen how the lifeproof cases protect the speaker port, I'm sort of spoiled by that idea.

The kids won't be getting their hands on the phone, and I don't keep anything else in my phone pocket, so the jury's still out on screen protection. I'm waiting to hear some horror stories from other HSMs who keep their gorilla glass phone solo in their pocket, without screen protection.

Thanks for the feedback so far guys, I really appreciate it!

I have several friends who like to keep their phones in their pocket. I havent heard of or seen any issues with scratching but these guys are not machinist. The only issue ive seen from them is cracked screens when dropped. They all went with a very very slim case that didnt provide much protection to keep it small.

My reason for wanting the screen protection is im notorious for picking up and answering my phone while im in the middle of a project. Many of which involve oils, glues, resins etc. Sticky fingers = sticky screen lol.

Just a thought.

mars-red
11-03-2014, 12:23 PM
I just discovered the Otterbox Defender is available for my phone, so far I'm leaning toward that.

Rex
11-03-2014, 12:40 PM
I just discovered the Otterbox Defender is available for my phone, so far I'm leaning toward that.

I have been using those for years. Good protection, with good feel. The ports are still exposed though. If I am going to be in a particularly hostile environment, I drop it in a thin ziplock sandwich bag

fjk
11-03-2014, 12:41 PM
I like otterbox for my iphone 5. I don't recall which one I have. It doesn't completely seal the phone, but it seems "good enough" for my use.

The key attributes (for me) were getting a non-skid case and making the phone bulky enough that it was easy to hold. The surface of the phone is smooth enough that, I found, it would slip out of pockets, etc, with very little provocation; the rubber outer case keeps it in place. Also, i've found that as I get older and the fingers get creakier, holding the oh-so-elegantly-thin phone was not as easy as it could be; making it bigger helps tremendously.

Frank

goose
11-03-2014, 01:17 PM
I've got the "Commuter" style Otterbox, I find the bulkiness of the Defender style is both aesthetically and physically too much for my personal tastes, but everyone differs on that I'm sure. For protection I can't see any major difference unless you're really rough on your phone. There's something to be said for carrying around a case that isn't the size of a can of sardines.