PDA

View Full Version : All-in-one tap & die tool

Yairfe
11-04-2014, 10:11 AM
Thought it would be nice to combine the drill-press and a shop-made tap & die tool. The story (not that long!) is here. Hope you enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJa1GkQQ_pA

Rosco-P
11-04-2014, 10:48 AM
I'm at a loss for words.

flylo
11-04-2014, 11:39 AM
I'm at a loss for words.

I think that's a first! :p

Toolguy
11-04-2014, 12:24 PM
Thanks for the tip Yairfe! Welcome to the Forums!:)

Old Hat
11-04-2014, 12:51 PM
That shows some articulate thinking.
+1

Paul Alciatore
11-04-2014, 01:48 PM
Quite clever.

I like it!

mikem
11-04-2014, 02:30 PM
That is somewhat like the lathe threading tool jig that I made. The die holder is bored for a 5/8 shaft which is held in a tailstock chuck and the work is held in the headstock chuck.

justanengineer
11-04-2014, 05:12 PM
Interesting concept. In school we were taught to use a center held in the chuck to get keep taps going straight. In the shop I always just power tap with either a tap or a die holder/die directly in the chuck.

John Stevenson
11-04-2014, 06:08 PM
So how does he tighten the tap in the drill chuck when the alloy bit is on there secured by 3 screws into the chuck key holes ?

If you have to remove, fit the tap, refit the alloy bit start off find out it's not tight enough [ common problem with keyed chucks ] and do it all again, it would get tedious fast.

boslab
11-04-2014, 07:00 PM
Welcome, nice vidio, well done, myself I'm going to continue to break my taps in the lathe I think, with dies I just butt them up against the tailstock barrel, it's what you get used to I suppose!, however that's not to malign what you've made, starting out any help is welcome and lots of folk get worried tapping holes straight!, after you've done a few wonky aka drunken threads in very expensive lumps of metal(my record is a wonky 30mm thread in a 250,000 beryllium copper mould, boss still doesn't know why there's a shiny plug there and the bolt moved 4" out of sequence, he just muttered bloody drawing office) you start being careful!.
Keep up the good work and get some split dies, not forgetting to add two adjusting grub screws to the die holder!
Regards
Mark

bewards
11-04-2014, 07:31 PM
Well done!

bedwards

Yairfe
11-08-2014, 11:36 AM
Guys, thanks for your nice welcome. Like many of us, I believe that the value of creating a jig is more important than the cost-benefit aspect, or how much you do actually use it.

alanganes
11-08-2014, 03:13 PM
Guys, thanks for your nice welcome. Like many of us, I believe that the value of creating a jig is more important than the cost-benefit aspect, or how much you do actually use it.

Now that is some solid Home Shop thinking right there. I like it.

A fair amount of what I do in my shop makes no sense from an economic standpoint. As useful and handy as my shop stuff can be at times often it's much more about the fun of making something.

Nice video and neat gadget.