PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a manual for sheldon exl-46-p

mcat1234
11-05-2014, 07:39 AM
Does anyone have any info on one? Looked extensively on line no luck. please :)

JCHannum
11-05-2014, 07:54 AM
I posted this link to a Sheldon manual in your previous thread. It is for an earlier version of your lathe, but most of the information is pertinant to your machine. The layout of the apron is a bit different, but the controls are the same and operate in the same manner.

http://www.alberic.net/toolbox_index/sheldon/files/Sheldon_Lathe_Maint_Manual.pdf

Rosco-P
11-05-2014, 08:03 AM
I believe Bourn and Koch (spelling?) supports Sheldon and they will mail you a free copy for your machine. Your best source of info is the Yahoo Sheldon group.

This is them: http://www.bourn-koch.com/home/cnc_machine_parts.html

mcat1234
11-05-2014, 08:13 AM
Thank you both very much

RussZHC
11-05-2014, 09:01 AM
My experience with Sheldon has been, for the earlier lathe stuff anyway, that the manuals are OK/good but not what one would call very specific.
What I mean to say is as Jim H says above is that the exact location, style, shape maybe different but function is the "same" or at least nothing a bit of educated guessing will not solve. E.G. Sheldon 10" lathe manual will get you very close on nearly all lathes of that size and will also be somewhat helpful on lathes of other close sizes. Running changes etc. in the factory play a role as example.

I've never seen the manual Jim linked to before and though the model is perhaps a decade post when my lathe was made, it would have been useful. I think one of the most commonly linked to Sheldon manuals is the Army lathe operations manual for Sheldons but that is more of an operations thing than parts lists and service.

JCHannum
11-05-2014, 09:36 AM
The Sheldon manual is not a fount of information. Apparently they felt buyers would be familiar with the operation of a lathe and covered only the basics.

The manual I linked to is identical to the one which came with my lathe, which is the later model, probably the same as mcat's. The differences are the later lathe has the two tumbler QCGB and a lever operated longitudinal feed rather than the handwheel.

The M, S and XL lathes all shared the same bed and other components and were 13", 11" and 10" swings simply by changing spindle height. They started with a 13" and downsized for the smaller swings rather than the other way around so the 10" lathe is a very stout machine for its size.