PDA

View Full Version : Tapping chuck for my lathe and mill

Black Forest
11-05-2014, 12:27 PM
I bought this off of Ebay. 60 Euros delivered. It will work on my lathe tailstock and on my horizontal mill which also has a MK5 taper. It will hold taps from 6mm to 30mm. The chuck is just like a Jacobs chuck with the two flats that squeeze the square end of the tap. The collets are plastic with slits big enough to accommodate several size taps. The chuck itself is spring loaded. I haven't used it yet but will give it a try tomorrow. It was made in Germany and doesn't have any marks from use. I think it must be new. Now I will look for one with a SK40 taper for my mill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9vHM7G3OrE&feature=youtu.be

iMisspell
11-05-2014, 07:11 PM
Thats nice.
Used "strait socket" ones at work for CNC lathes for years, never seen one with a taper for a tail stock.
Might have to try and modify a strait one along with some MT3 blanks i have.

Crusader68
11-06-2014, 12:42 AM
That is really cool, any idea who made it? Ive never seen one quite like that, the spring loaded feature is quite unique!

oldtiffie
11-06-2014, 01:13 AM
Just looking (but can't see) the tail/back end.

It looks as if the tail-end is drilled and tapped for a milling machine (vertical of horizontal) vertical milling head or in a horizontal mill spindle/arbor and in either/both cases held in with a pretty well standard draw bar.

Unless I'm mistaken there is no reversing (out) for the tapping head so you are going to have to reverse the lathe spindle.

I have a Sieg SX3 vertical mill and it has that feature via reversing switches in the quill hand-wheels:

http://www.machineryhouse.com.au/M155

These built-for-purpose reversing tapping heads with and adjustable slipping clutch are even better.

http://www.machineryhouse.com.au/Machine-Tapping-Chucks-Reversible

My mill quill has a MT3 taper and my pedestal drill has an MT2 taper.

All things being equal I prefer to machine tap smaller stuff on my pedestal drill and larger stuff on my mills.

Black Forest
11-06-2014, 03:00 AM
The taper end of the tool is threaded for a drawbar. It is more than likely for a mill with a drawbar. It might hold in my tailstock with just the taper. The tool I use now does. On my lathe I can reverse the spindle nearly instantly especially at the speeds for tapping.

There is no reversing on the chuck as in a tapping head but with the spindle reverse on my lathe it is not an issue.

The spring equipped floating head is not unique. Bilz makes all kinds of tapping chucks with radial and axial floating capabilities.

oldtiffie
11-06-2014, 06:04 AM
That spring-loaded retractable tapping head on the lathe is very good - provided that when you get to depth with your tapping the tapping head is partially or fully extended - that way when you reverse the lathe all you have to do is make sure that the retracting head does not "bottom out" as you are retracting the tail-stock quill by hand with the lathe in reverse.

I have to say that the more I looked at it and thought about it the better it looked.

But I'd prefer to use it on the mill in a vertical position, secured with a draw-bar in the quill.

Nice accessory.

Black Forest
11-06-2014, 07:14 AM
I tried the chuck this morning. Works a treat in the tailstock. With a 20mm tap it held just fine in the taper of the tailstock. I did not have to keep pressure on with the hand wheel of the tailstock. For a blind hole the releasing tap and die holder that I made will be better in my mind.

The chuck was made by a company WMW. I have several of their tools. If I am not mistaken it is a former East German company but that is just a guess.