PDA

View Full Version : OT: Costco canopy replacement cover?

metalmagpie
11-07-2014, 05:35 PM
I have a 10x20' canopy, the kind with side and end tarps that go down nearly to ground level. Mine is just outside my shop door and I do a lot of storage under it and also work under it sometimes. The Seattle area recently had a large windstorm and my top tarp (the roof) disintegrated and now I need a replacement.

The last time I needed a replacement I bought the first one I could find online. The price was reasonable, but it only lasted 18 months despite being "100% UV treated". Googling, I see several vendors offering replacement tops anywhere from about $40 up to about $90. The ones that bother listing any specifications at all say 6 oz. per square yard polyethylene with aluminum grommets every 18", UV treated. None of them gives an estimated lifetime and for sure none of them even hint at a warranty.

I can't figure out which ones are good and which ones aren't. The original that came from Costco lasted about 7 years.

metalmagpie

Toolguy
11-07-2014, 06:00 PM
Buy the cheap one. If that goes too fast, buy the expensive one next. If that goes too fast, go back to the cheap ones.

Wayne A Thackery
11-07-2014, 06:24 PM
I use the silver tarps and have had great luck getting 5-6 years out of them.

PTSideshow
11-07-2014, 07:15 PM
Check the Menards web site as the had the replacements for sale in their stores. Also check tractor supply web site

lakeside53
11-07-2014, 09:41 PM
I throw a silver tap over the top of the junk tents. Lasts a few years and when that goes, throw over another. I have 3 (or maybe 4?) on my old wood pile tent now. $40-90? Probably the same thing tent... just a different price.

Or... You can buy an aluminum roofed 10x20 for $795..

RichardG
11-07-2014, 10:54 PM
silver tarp over has been working for me for about eight years , sadly this year have to finally replace top. Northern tool has them don't know about quality but price is not that bad .
Richard

JoeLee
11-08-2014, 08:58 PM
Check out Farmtek............ I bought a replacement for my canopy. Some of their tarps have a 15 year warranty. They will also custom make them.

JL.................

https://www.farmtek.com/farm/supplies/cat1a;ft_fabric_buildings.html

Paul Alciatore
11-09-2014, 11:14 AM
Buy one from McMaster. Their stuff is usually good quality.

metalmagpie
11-10-2014, 12:43 AM
Buy one from McMaster. Their stuff is usually good quality.

Hmm. Didn't see one. Got a link?

KJ1I
11-10-2014, 12:14 PM
I get my greenhouse supplies and equipment from FarmTeK. The greenhouse cover was warranted for 3 years, lasted 6.

Standard disclaimer - no interest in company, just a happy customer.