PDA

View Full Version : question about refractometers

1-800miner
11-09-2014, 10:23 AM
Are there different kinds or a "one size fits all" version?
I want to test honey,apple cider,vinegar, antifreeze, and electrolyte.
Do I have to buy one for each application?
Do they make a universal? If so how do I tell?

CarlByrns
11-09-2014, 11:01 AM
It's a very bad practice to mix food and non-food utensils and instruments. You wouldn't want to stir your coffee with the same spoon used to scoop out rat poison. :- p

1-800miner
11-09-2014, 11:05 AM
It would be thoroughly cleaned for each use.

Arthur.Marks
11-09-2014, 11:15 AM
I could very well be misinformed, but I think the only variation with refractometers is with regards to measuring range. IOW, you choose a particular one based on % range and discrimination rather than solution components. It would be simple to assure separate food / industrial use anyway. Use one dropper specifically for each. The sample on the refractometer is not reintroduced into the source solution.

Toolguy
11-09-2014, 11:26 AM
I use the 0 - 10 version for machining coolant. Apparently this is the same one used for Maple Syrup harvesting. I don't know about the other applications.

macona
11-09-2014, 03:01 PM
Yep, they are the same, I have a Leica that reads BRIX that I dont need...

1-800miner
11-09-2014, 03:20 PM
Yep, they are the same, I have a Leica that reads BRIX that I dont need...
I do. p.m. sent

adatesman
11-09-2014, 04:35 PM
I could very well be misinformed, but I think the only variation with refractometers is with regards to measuring range. IOW, you choose a particular one based on % range and discrimination rather than solution components.

This is correct.

While technically possible to make one to cover the entire range of concentrations, in practice it wouldn't be much use since the scale would be so compressed that you'd only be able to read it to the nearest 10% rather than 0.1%.

Between homebrewing, beekeeping, and making maple syrup I have 5 refractometers.... 0-32% Brix (0.2% resolution) for starting gravity of beer/wine/cider, another 0-32% that also has a Specific Gravity scale (I got tired of having to convert), a 0-10% (0.1% resolution) for finishing gravity of beer/wine/cider, a 58-90% Brix (0.5% resolution) for measuring finished maple syrup (which is 66% Brix), and one that reads 0-30% water content (0.1% resolution) for measuring honey. The 58-90% could be used for the honey, but I don't trust it to read close enough due to the low resolution (too much water and it will spoil, too little and it will crystallize).