PDA

View Full Version : It's 5:52pm and feels like 10:00pm. I'm getting old :) It's Daylight saving time....

JRouche
11-09-2014, 08:59 PM
No, it's prolly the time change we just did (Daylight saving time). I dont know that these time changes actually help anyone.

Curious to hear from this outstanding panel of ordinary Ladies and Gents. JR

P.S. I just learned I can't edit my title or thread wordage. Problem for me, I wrote "IDaylight saving time....". It should be " It's Daylight saving time....".

And YES, this does not clarify anything. But that's the cool thing about starting a thread. You GET to jabber. :) :) JR

lakeside53
11-09-2014, 09:16 PM
Not to me - right around 6. I can smell dinner being dished out.. Gotta go!

p.s. IDaylight has probably been trademarked by Apple, so expect a letter from their lawyers tomorrow. lo

J Tiers
11-09-2014, 09:26 PM
An hour difference is less than the variability of my bedtime or get-up time, so I never really notice it.

My wife claims it is a big deal for her. She notices the hour when we travel east to visit relatives.

A.K. Boomer
11-09-2014, 09:30 PM
JR im in the same boat - it's coupled with the fact that the days are getting drastically shorter anyways, so with the time change dark does come very very early and this trips off the ole melatonin in me big time --- so bad that sometimes I will just throw in the towel and hit the hay way way early...

JRouche
11-09-2014, 09:43 PM
I am on a rail track as far as waking and sleeping. Maybe circadian rhythm. I cherish my sleep times. After 25 years of "military" work its NICE to sleep when I want to VS the need of the job.

dp
11-09-2014, 10:41 PM
The days are not only shorter, there's fewer of them left :). I'll be 69 next birthday and I'm fully aware the calendar is getting ahead of me. Daylight Wasting Time arrived this year without much notice though. I still don't have my shop set up so I'm filling my time with my ukuleles and other music hobbies which means I'm staying busy with fun stuff, and my Honey-do list for the new to me home is quite large. I'm using all these new requirements as an excuse to buy more tools ;)

justanengineer
11-09-2014, 10:49 PM
Meh, the clocks changed automatically last weekend and I didnt even notice. Folks at work were griping about it tho.

tyrone shewlaces
11-09-2014, 11:10 PM
I wish they would leave it alone except that I like the summertime hours (late sunsets) and if they ever decided to leave it alone someday (which they won't, but just for the sake of...) they'd screw it all up and pick the wintertime hours instead. So I guess that means I won't be writing up a request.
The hour switch otherwise doesn't affect me. I have chronic insomnia all year so one hour wouldn't make a gnat's eyelash difference to my sleep schedule.

RichR
11-10-2014, 01:22 AM
Personally I'd prefer they just split the difference and put an end to this nonsense. Next time it's time to change the clocks, just change the time by 30 minutes
and leave it there.

Black Forest
11-10-2014, 02:37 AM
It was explained to me once that the big reason for the time switch was so the children don't have to go to school in the dark. Could this be true. Personally I like the time change as it allows me to get to work outside earlier in the winter. Now for all you old farts I can imagine it is of no consequence either way!

boslab
11-10-2014, 04:27 AM
Don't like it myself, the energy companies seem to like it!, I even remember Double summer and winter time in the 70s, the clocks moved 2 hours, but then we were having rolling blackouts because of the coal miners strike, there aren't any collieries anymore, but fossil fuel sits there untouched, I live on top of a 6'6" thick coal seam not mined anymore, worst is it's a low sulphur anthracite coal, aka welsh steam coal, a clean burning coal with low ash, instead the coal plants ship in bitumus coal from, amongst other places china, it's dirty, power stations are like computers, garbage in garbage out.
Why when you live on an island floating on coal do you not use the natural resource is a mystery?
Instead they stick up solar panels and big fans to keep the sheep cool
Mark

vpt
11-10-2014, 06:42 AM
I dislike the time change very very much! Hey, they days are getting shorter, lets take some more time away right away to really mess things up.

big job
11-10-2014, 08:19 AM
The days are not only shorter, there's fewer of them left :). I'll be 69 next birthday and I'm fully aware the calendar is getting ahead of me. Daylight Wasting Time arrived this year without much notice though. I still don't have my shop set up so I'm filling my time with my ukuleles and other music hobbies which means I'm staying busy with fun stuff, and my Honey-do list for the new to me home is quite large. I'm using all these new requirements as an excuse to buy more tools ;)

Im In the same boat there dp, the calender they aint using good glue on em nomore the pages are fallin off like fall leaves. Clocks spinning like they are plugged into 220vts. been a long struggle to get to the top of a hill in a model T ! and when you crest the hill poor ole Ford aint got good brakes. Solution? I got rid of
clocks & calenders . I own the machine shop so, I open and close when I feel like it. Break out some Jack and back pain goes away. "really"
I think them (idiots) got it backwards. Why is it so important for sunrise to be early v/s getting dark at 4pm now. Dont ya think more electric bulbs needed
energy used at the supper time= kids doing homework?? I'm saying 100 yrs ago at sundown you went to bed. leave clocks alone and roll with it................

mattthemuppet
11-10-2014, 12:56 PM
I always thought it was something to do with cows having more grazing time or some nonsense like that. Who knows, it's a daft idea and solidly ticks me off 2 times a year, guaranteed. Still, on the plus side, I get to do more mountainbike riding at night which is a complete hoot.

justanengineer
11-10-2014, 01:11 PM
It was explained to me once that the big reason for the time switch was so the children don't have to go to school in the dark. Could this be true.

I believe so but honestly cannot say for sure. Locally in Indiana some folks are making a political push for the state as a whole to go from eastern to central time AND stop observing daylight savings time. Currently there are only a handful of the 96(?) counties that are on CST and we observe daylight savings. The two reasons given that folks want the change are bc 1. a kid got hit by a bus before the sun was up in wintertime a few years ago and 2. apparently this will cure kids sleeping in school. I havent read much further than that into it bc the folks supporting it that Ive met are all a bit "off" and it seems to me that anything gained by going to CST would be lost by getting rid of daylight savings.

kendall
11-10-2014, 01:49 PM
I'm with RichR, cut it in half and leave it alone. I hate time changes.

The biggest plus to daylight savings was energy savings. Back when daylight was used for the majority of work, it made sense. But when was the last time you saw a factory or office building, store or mall that depended on huge windows for lighting? Unless they're 100 years old they have very few windows with the lights going 24/7, even then, the old factories normally have all but a few windows 'foamed' for insulation. Every business has electric lights running during all operating hours, and half of them are lit up when they're closed. Few houses have been built in the last 50 to 75 years to utilize daylight, so even at home people are burning electricity.
Street lights depend on sensors, they come on when it's dark, regardless what the clock says.
No energy is really being saved with DST. Get rid of it.

A.K. Boomer
11-10-2014, 02:04 PM
one thing for sure is it would have to be done all at once and nation wide or things will be a real clusterfuque trying to figure between PST and central and Mt all while everybody is doing their own thing with DST --- would be enough to make you go insane... not to mention miss a flight or too...

mattthemuppet
11-10-2014, 04:32 PM
they had that problem in Mexico city where the mayor insisted on daylight savings when the surrounding area (which actually makes up 1/2 the city) didn't, so people had to change their clocks going to and from work. I don't think it lasted long..

EddyCurr
11-10-2014, 04:53 PM
Fine talk here about DST from all you spoiled southerners.

TGTool
11-10-2014, 05:36 PM
It was explained to me once that the big reason for the time switch was so the children don't have to go to school in the dark.

That doesn't make sense to me since the change was to move the time earlier during the summer. If it was a kids in the dark issue they should have made winter hours later - Maybe Dark Ditching time rather than Daylight Savings. And the kids aren't in school for half the DST period anyway. It sounds a little like the improbable explanations for expressions like "freeze the balls off a brass monkey" or the phallic finger salute attributed to English archers' expression of "pluck yew". Those were pure, made up BS, the kids in the dark explanation may be just guessing.

Puckdropper
11-10-2014, 05:48 PM
I kept saying Indiana picked the wrong time zone. I think the problem was some communities want to be with the city they support, Chicago on Central and what's that Ohio town? on Eastern. For the rest of the state, I guess it doesn't really matter. Time of day is simply an abstract layer of abstraction.

It won't cure kids sleeping in school. Sleep is much more complicated than the digits displayed on the clock.

"His beard sleeps 4 hours a night, whether or not he does." "He keeps kids from falling asleep in school." He is the most interesting man in the world.

I believe so but honestly cannot say for sure. Locally in Indiana some folks are making a political push for the state as a whole to go from eastern to central time AND stop observing daylight savings time. Currently there are only a handful of the 96(?) counties that are on CST and we observe daylight savings. The two reasons given that folks want the change are bc 1. a kid got hit by a bus before the sun was up in wintertime a few years ago and 2. apparently this will cure kids sleeping in school. I havent read much further than that into it bc the folks supporting it that Ive met are all a bit "off" and it seems to me that anything gained by going to CST would be lost by getting rid of daylight savings.

sasquatch
11-10-2014, 06:50 PM
PITA to me, and i refuse to bother setting my clocks back! In Canada, the province of Saskatchewan, has never changed along with some smaller areas of the province of Quebec.
This apparently was started in WW2 to allow farmers to get more hours in to help keep processing food for the war effort. (at least that's the reason i read about.)

tmarks11
11-10-2014, 07:07 PM
We should be on DST all the time.

I hate it when we switch off.

Before: drive to work in the dark, come home in the daylight, play with the kids outside.
After: drive to work in the dark, come home in the dark, ????

Exactly what benefit did I just achieve by changing the time? I hate it when I commute both ways in the dark.

I work in a windowless building, so an hour extra sunlight on the morning does me not one wit of good.