PDA

View Full Version : Sheldon steady rest for 10 x 36

mcat1234
11-11-2014, 01:22 PM
MORNING ALL,
anyone know where I can get a steady rest for my Sheldon. OR I've been kicking around the idea of making one, anyone know of an innovative design I could use? All the best

Rosco-P
11-11-2014, 01:52 PM
Watch Fleabay, stop in at machinery dealers in your area, joing the Yahoo Sheldon lathe group.

RussZHC
11-12-2014, 11:03 AM
As Rosco said, I got mine off EBay...they show up from time to time...as far as I can tell, there is quite a few specific models and years of 10" Sheldons that "share" a "common" steady rest (my lathe is from late 1930s and suspect the steady is from mid to late 1950s).

If you are looking, keep an eye out for the follow rest as well, if you think you might need it ever, they are, IMO, a lot tougher to find as an individual piece (even quite a few complete lathes do not have the factory part). From what I have heard, but can not confirm personally, the SB Heavy 10 steady fits.

There are at least a couple of good threads on this bbs about making your own steady rest and IIRC at least one of the Keiths (Fenner or Rucker) had a series of videos on making one as have others with Youtube channels. An alternative, if you don't want to make the entire thing would be to get the bulk of it from tool4cheap (one of their versions is very near exact, height wise) and mod the base to fit the Sheldon but that may not be cost effective.

gzig5
11-12-2014, 11:21 AM
I've got a steady rest for a 10" lathe that does not fit my SB10L. I think it is for either a Logan or a Sheldon. If you can PM me the distance from the center of the V-way to the center of the flat way I can check it against what I have.