PDA

View Full Version : Home made cross slide

Axkiker
11-12-2014, 07:21 PM
Anyone on here made their own cross slide. I was surfing the net at work the other day and ran across a site that sells the castings that you can machine into your own slide. Anyone gone this route and possibly have some insight.

I am also contemplating a couple other ideas. I plan to in the near future, build a drill sharpening system something along the lines of the unit below. My question is what should I use to allow the side to side sliding action. This unit appears to have simple plastic bushings that allow the unit to be slide left and right by pulling the lever. I would prefer a more accurate method as I would also like to incorporate end mil sharpening in the future if possible. Even if that were impossible I just dont like the bushing idea and think I can do better.

My first thoughts were to just build or buy a complete cross slide and compound. Then I started thinking about how slow it would be cranking the cross slide left and right for drill sharpening. My next thoughts were to use linear rails or whatever the CNC guys are now using the build the CNC router systems.

Any thoughts or suggestions around my ideas.

http://www.gadgetbuilder.com/4_Facet_Overview8.jpg

PStechPaul
11-12-2014, 08:01 PM
Just an idea for drill sharpening: Mount the drill in a holder (or chuck) that has a tang so that it can be indexed at two opposite angles. Then mount the tool holder in a screw and nut that will advance the desired amount per turn for the clearance angle.

plunger
11-13-2014, 12:05 AM
I dont understand why crosslides are not made commercially in two adjustable pieces.Would this not eliminate the need to scrape. If one had to machine a fixed dovetail side and then make the other side so that it can be bolted snug against the sliding piece .You could do it with guage plate or something hard wearing.It could still have a gib if this is important for wear.I did something like this when I was an appy to punch holes in aluminium pots. It was a long slide made of sections of guage plate . The angles were surface ground and was held down by cap screws so it could be tapped snug and then tightened.

Alistair Hosie
11-13-2014, 06:09 AM
Question is would it not be quicker buying a suitable used one on freebay?I find this preferable, unless I relish the challenge to make or finish one that has been cast.Good luck.Alistair

Axkiker
11-13-2014, 09:56 AM
Question is would it not be quicker buying a suitable used one on freebay?I find this preferable, unless I relish the challenge to make or finish one that has been cast.Good luck.Alistair

You are most likely correct. I was just having a hard time finding exactly what I wanted. Im sure In time it will pop up.

Black Forest
11-13-2014, 11:21 AM
Axkiker you go sit in the corner until I tell you to come out!!!! I already showed you how to make a better sharpener than the one in your picture.

Get a cross slide and compound off Ebay that has the levers and not the wheels. Done. Now go to the corner.

Axkiker
11-13-2014, 11:36 AM
Axkiker you go sit in the corner until I tell you to come out!!!! I already showed you how to make a better sharpener than the one in your picture.

Get a cross slide and compound off Ebay that has the levers and not the wheels. Done. Now go to the corner.

Are you referring to the design where the bit is basically rocked up and down???? I believe you posted it in the thread I posted about drill sharpening jig.

I do like that design I however want one that will allow a 4 facet grind. Unless im mistaken I don't think your design allows such. Maybe im wrong ???

Black Forest
11-13-2014, 11:42 AM
Are you referring to the design where the bit is basically rocked up and down???? I believe you posted it in the thread I posted about drill sharpening jig.

I do like that design I however want one that will allow a 4 facet grind. Unless im mistaken I don't think your design allows such. Maybe im wrong ???

Yes you are wrong. I can do any kind of grind I want on the one I built. NOW GO to the CORNER!

rowbare
11-13-2014, 12:25 PM
The Worden uses a cross slide. You can get kits or plans from Hemmingway's. They also have a series of accessories you can build.

If you are willing to be on the bleeding edge, John McNamara built and epoxy/granite grinder loosely based on the Worden: http://www.model-engineer.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=51617&p=5

bob

Axkiker
11-13-2014, 07:18 PM
Yes you are wrong. I can do any kind of grind I want on the one I built. NOW GO to the CORNER!

So do you have a video showing the 4 facet grind. I went back to the thread where you posted videos and it shows the rounded cutting edge grind. I think we have similar ideas to how we would build this but also a few differences.

Axkiker
11-13-2014, 07:24 PM
The Worden uses a cross slide. You can get kits or plans from Hemmingway's. They also have a series of accessories you can build.

If you are willing to be on the bleeding edge, John McNamara built and epoxy/granite grinder loosely based on the Worden: http://www.model-engineer.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=51617&p=5

bob

Thanks for that link. I had not seen the Worden but it is very similar to what I had in mind.

Black Forest
11-14-2014, 02:02 AM
The cross slides with levers are on the German ebay all the time.

Baz
11-14-2014, 06:24 AM
but I've never seen one on the UK ebay unless they get posted under cake making which isn't in my usual search patern. What's the German for lever cross slide (if the word will fit on the page)?

Wayne Sippola
11-14-2014, 08:43 AM
I may be wrong, but I'm getting the impression that some people think the 4 facet grind is an improvement over the typical elliptical grind found on drills. It's not. The reason for a 4 facet grind is because it can be done with just the linear movements found on various cutter grinders without having to build a swinging mechanism.

Wayne

Axkiker
11-14-2014, 08:57 AM
I may be wrong, but I'm getting the impression that some people think the 4 facet grind is an improvement over the typical elliptical grind found on drills. It's not. The reason for a 4 facet grind is because it can be done with just the linear movements found on various cutter grinders without having to build a swinging mechanism.

Wayne

Well, I have not had a chance to test each style, but in another thread I posted several people seemed to believe the 4 facet grinds were superior. Might make for a good trial just not sure how I would measure tool pressure.

Black Forest
11-14-2014, 09:10 AM
but I've never seen one on the UK ebay unless they get posted under cake making which isn't in my usual search patern. What's the German for lever cross slide (if the word will fit on the page)?

Here is a link. The word for lever in German is Hebel. cross slide is kreuzsupport.

The reason I like the lever type is they have a settable stop for in and out on both directions. That lets you lock the slide in one direction and just use the other for your work. This makes it very repeatable for doing both lips. Not having to fiddle with getting the dial in exactly the right place.

http://www.ebay.de/itm/131347195186?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT