PDA

View Full Version : OT: how to tell when the big guy up stairs has it in for you

loose nut
11-15-2014, 08:20 PM
I have a 25 year old Dodge Dakota, body is in very good condition (little to no body damage/rust), considering the salt in winter, for it's age. Wife unit decides we need a new (as in newer) truck because the current truck is to old to bother doing work on.
So we went out and bought a 2008 Ford Ranger in what appears to be very good condition. No new small trucks available and in this area used trucks of that size are almost nonexistent, we found 4 in a 30 mile radius and the one we bought is the newest and in the best condition. Lots of big trucks available but I don't what one. I don't like the idea of having to climb a ladder to get into the truck. .

Now for the fun part. We traded the old truck in, won't get anything for it but it was the easiest way to get rid of it. We pick up the Ranger on Monday afternoon. So out driving around this morning and the truck engine just quits and won't start. Sometimes it will turn over but won't catch and sometimes it won't even turn over. In the 18 years we have had that truck not once did we have any kind of engine trouble with it. Now 2 days before we are getting rid of it, it packs it in.

Had to call the dealer to cancel the trade in part of the buy and now I will have to pay to have it towed to the scrapper.

I'm now expecting a lightening strike at any time.

GadgetBuilder
11-15-2014, 08:34 PM
Take your wife out to dinner to celebrate... and make sure she buys a lottery ticket while you're out and about.

Gravy
11-15-2014, 09:35 PM
Spend half an hour to clean the battery terminals and the ground cable connection at the engine. If it starts and runs, you're golden. If not, at least you can tell yourself that you tried.

darryl
11-15-2014, 09:48 PM
Don't know where you are, but poor battery connections, etc- that's pretty common when temperatures and humidity changes happen seasonally. There's one area in a vehicle that seems to get overlooked, and that's where the ground cable goes from the battery negative to the body- usually a fairly short piece of 10 ga or something like that. The connection to the body should be rejuvenated. I've solved many problems by doing that.

mygrizzly1022
11-15-2014, 10:10 PM
I know about these things.... What is happening is quite clear when you think about it. The Dodge is not the least bit happy she has been replaced by a younger better looking Ford.... Trucks can have their feelings hurt you know..

bert

Peter.
11-16-2014, 01:59 AM
Take the new truck for 'one final test-drive'. Drive it home and push-start the old truck with it :)

Doc Nickel
11-16-2014, 02:19 AM
There are people that scrap entire trucks just for a bad battery connection...?

I thought that old joke about the rich guy buying a new car because the ashtrays were full on the old one, was just a joke. :)

Doc.

paulsv
11-16-2014, 03:14 AM
Wait- you can empty ash trays?

A.K. Boomer
11-16-2014, 09:25 AM
Need more info. don't know what your looking at, everything that everyone is saying fits except the fact that the vehicle quit on you whilst running,,, even bad battery connections will usually not cause your symptoms because if they had enough contact to start the engine that morning they should have enough to keep the vehicle running esp. since the alternator will take over the load to energize itself and power the ECU,

if there's a total disconnect you can blow the diodes in the alternator though, but sounds like you still have at least some connection...
also, if it was just connection then what's keeping the vehicle from starting when it does crank? he stated that it cranks but wont "catch"

do you hear the starter solenoid clicking when you try to start it and it does not crank? does the starter sound like it's also engaging but it's jammed due to the engine being locked up?
How many miles on the vehicle and how is the camshaft driven?

is there a difference from letting it sit and cool to trying to start it immediately?

Dunc
11-16-2014, 09:55 AM
Haven't seen factory issue ashtrays in a while... a long while

kendall
11-16-2014, 10:37 AM

I thought that old joke about the rich guy buying a new car because the ashtrays were full on the old one, was just a joke. :)

Doc.
Take a walk through a self serve junk yard, you'd be amazed at how many cars and trucks you find in very good shape with minimal issues.
It all depends on how much you like the vehicle.
If you like a car, no repair is too much, you'll look at it and say, 'New engine, Transmission, Grill, fenders, rear end and bumpers and it'll be as good as new'
If you don't like the car, all it takes is for the alternator to go out and you're ready to send that 'useless POS' to the scrap yard.

I once placed an add for an M5od 4x4 transmission on CL, I needed one to convert my explorer to manual. I get a response from a guy asking $200 for one. Drive out and find it's still installed in a nice explorer sport. After talking with him, the only thing wrong with the explorer was that the brakes were weak and the 4x shift motor was frozen up. He told me he was trying to raise $1400 to have the transmission rebuilt on his grand am, and that a scrapper was going to give him $75 for the truck after the transmission was pulled. I offered him $300 for the truck and drove it home. Fixed brakes, swapped my old explorers manual t-case in and drove it for 12 years.

He liked the Grand Am, My wife had 99 grand am at the time, I hated driving or even riding in that car. It ran fine and was reliable, but it was the most uncomfortable car for driving any more than across town. It was also a real pain to get in and out of, I'd have happily sold her trans am for $50 to get brake pads and shoes for the explorer.

loose nut
11-16-2014, 10:39 AM

I should be so lucky.

I don't mind that it quit, I'm done with it any way, I just wish it would have waited until I arrived at the dealers lot. It really is a shame that it is going to the bone yard, I have actually tried giving it away but no luck. For a 25 year old truck it is in pretty good condition, all the doors and quarter panels go right down to the bottom to where they are suppose to go. You can't see daylight though any of them and while the paint is faded it is still all there.

J Tiers
11-16-2014, 10:51 AM
OK, if the trade is not a condition of the sale, meaning you aren't getting squat for it, dump it. If it's going to cost you money on the trade, better to figure out how much it's gonna cost to get it to drive x number of miles to the dealer.

NOT to get it back to new, just to get it to drive over there. The dealer already made his inspection and has a value in the sale agreement, as-is and with all faults. You just found one of the faults he should have already known about..

lakeside53
11-16-2014, 10:59 AM
I'd figure you what's wrong (starting with "fuel or spark"...) because I hate not knowing, then make a choice whether to fix (if simple) it or sell it as-is. Around here on CL, plenty of guys looking for a "mechanics bargain". There's probably someone with the same old truck looking for another. Better than paying to tow it to the junkyard.

Oh.. I own a 25 year old truck.. always "looking". :)

winchman
11-16-2014, 11:31 AM
Sounds to me like the old Dodge has committed truckacide to save you from buying that PoS Ranger. Be thankful.

George Seal
11-16-2014, 01:03 PM
Dunc
My 2010 Hyundai has four factory installed ash trays
one on each door with a button to open and close

A.K. Boomer
11-16-2014, 01:25 PM
If it's a manual tranny, Pull all the spark plugs, tow it to within striking distance of the dealer, use ignition key in start mode and "drive" it onto the lot - you can even grab second gear if your feeling ballsy - park the POS and act like everything is normal - take one last moment to act like your saying goodbye to a trusty old friend just in case someone is watching, act like parting is really hard to do and show a little indecision as if your thinking about changing your mind - this will trigger the predator response from them and they will go for a quick kill - that's exactly what you want, then lock it up and give them a bogus key, this should buy you enough get away time...

LKeithR
11-16-2014, 04:54 PM
...this should buy you enough get away time...

And I thought I was the only one who thought this way...:D:D

loose nut
11-16-2014, 08:47 PM
OK, if the trade is not a condition of the sale, meaning you aren't getting squat for it, dump it. If it's going to cost you money on the trade, better to figure out how much it's gonna cost to get it to drive x number of miles to the dealer.

NOT to get it back to new, just to get it to drive over there. The dealer already made his inspection and has a value in the sale agreement, as-is and with all faults. You just found one of the faults he should have already known about..

It's not going to cost me anything to fix it but it pisses me off that it will cost me to have it towed to the bone yard.

loose nut
11-16-2014, 08:50 PM
Sounds to me like the old Dodge has committed truckacide to save you from buying that PoS Ranger. Be thankful.

Actually I wanted to keep the truck and fix it up right but She Who Must BE Obeyed vetoed that because it doesn't have power steering and it is getting hard for her to drive it. She is in frail heath so I couldn't fight her on this one.

boslab
11-17-2014, 01:24 AM
We had land rovers at work to go get samples of coal and iron ore etc from the harbour, several times a shift, they were old and battered, completely filthy from dustbins of coke, oil, water from drain and sewers, tar and creosote, really bad, there were nothing but complaints.
The solution was to replace the land rovers with ford rangers, I wanted new land rovers as they were tough if nothing else, outvoted so we had ford rangers with a truck man top fitted (rendering the rear view mirror unusable)
In a matter of 2 days the things were starting to show weaknesses, getting bogged down in coal piles, poor steering, brakes not up to scratch, we were forever sending someone in an old land rover to drag them out of sand, mud, and coal.
Driving around the works going over level crossings would result in shaking your teeth out, terrible suspension, and the 4x4 (=16, painted on after the logo with a paint pen, crossed out and amended to 1 3/4)
Wasn't worth a wank, turned out to be 60/40 front rear or something.
If the choice was available the old land rovers or a unimog that was antique was used and the rangers left in the car park, so they got sent back and replaced with land rovers after a while there was a census if you will to find out the performance, several of the youngsters complained bitterly about the land rovers, and praised the rangers, when I asked why.
Well the rangers had comfy seats and a stereo, you could even recline the seats and you can't in the land rover!
All they wanted was a mobile bedroom!
Mark

loose nut
11-17-2014, 08:46 AM
Well try finding a land rover on this side of the pond that won't cost the contents of a bank.

I don't plan on climbing hills of coal or going off road, I just want a small truck and good ones are hard to find now, at least around here, that will go down the road and let me carry some over sized cargo now and a again. I have had friends that have had Rangers and have been happy with them. Anytime you buy used you run a risk but it is the only route available to me. I would have taken a Dodge Dakota if a good one was available but nothing made by GM.

martik
11-17-2014, 09:38 AM
Why did you have to pay to have it towed away? Here in BC, you would have been PAID approx $500 to have it hauled away for scrap value and no towing fee, even w/o wheels.

rowbare
11-17-2014, 11:37 AM
It's not going to cost me anything to fix it but it pisses me off that it will cost me to have it towed to the bone yard.
Try the kidney foundation, they pick up junkers and give you charitable donation reciepts for tax time.

http://www.kidney.ca/kidneycar

bob

Black Forest
11-17-2014, 11:44 AM
I have had the opposite happen to me. I have been in situations that I should not have lived through and obviously did and thought at the time the Big Guy has other plans for me.

loose nut
11-18-2014, 06:04 PM
But are they good for you or BAAAAAAAAADddddd.