PDA

View Full Version : Bought a Gorton 8D Mill

DS_park
11-16-2014, 11:48 AM
Looked at it earlier last week.
Took my other half with me which turned out to be a pretty good thing (she has done some woodworking and appreciates older quality machines). My only error was that during an explanation of what a vertical mill can do, she concluded that the Atlas 7b shaper is less capable and suggested that it could be sold.

Looks a lot like this one on the Vintage Machine (http://vintagemachinery.org/photoindex/detail.aspx?id=14626) .org site.
Negotiated a price to include assistance in transporting it.
Brought it home this morning. We used the sliding along 1/2 round bar method and a 2 ton cherry picker. Its a little smaller than a Bridgeport but reportedly a little heavier. Think I can manage something similar sized on my own in the future.

So the list begins:
Clean and lube
Make list of issues
decide on rotary converter or VFD
modify wiring for chosen 3phase source
Get 240 to garage
look for more tooling
internet research
figure how to work out photo bucket
make chips before my other half decides that I only buy tools to work on them
hide the atlas 7b

Wonder what my next "in need of work" piece of equipment will be?
DS

tyrone shewlaces
11-16-2014, 11:50 AM
https://groups.yahoo.com/group/gortonmill

EddyCurr
11-16-2014, 12:15 PM
If you don't already have a manual, this site may
prove useful

http://gorton-machine.org/machines/manuals.html

Depending on your needs, that shaper may still be
able to justify its existance, despite the new rival.

digr
11-16-2014, 03:00 PM
I have one

macona
11-16-2014, 03:41 PM
I had a 8-1/2D. Neat little mill. Only bad thing is the collets.

Does this have the built in power feed for the X axis? If so it is probably better to go with a RPC since there are two motors on the machine unless you are willing to spend money on two VFDs which would be my choice.

You might consider having the stators on the motors redipped and baked. If the insulation fails it is going to be an expensive rebuild and you just cant replace them with anything off the shelf.

Doozer
11-16-2014, 07:04 PM
Welcome to the club.
-Doozer, 9-J owner

DS_park
11-16-2014, 07:53 PM
I had a 8-1/2D. Neat little mill. Only bad thing is the collets.

Does this have the built in power feed for the X axis? If so it is probably better to go with a RPC since there are two motors on the machine unless you are willing to spend money on two VFDs which would be my choice.

You might consider having the stators on the motors redipped and baked. If the insulation fails it is going to be an expensive rebuild and you just cant replace them with anything off the shelf.

macona-
My 8D is a plane jane with no power feeds so I can get away with a VFD just on the main. The previous owner had the motor rebuilt and rewound for 220 a few years ago so its newer wire and insulation. May try to add external power feeds to the table if I can figure how to do without majorly altering the original machine.

tyrone shewlaces
11-16-2014, 11:36 PM
May try to add external power feeds to the table if I can figure how to do without majorly altering the original machine.
Make a couple brackets and attach stepper motors and Linux EMC. Nuttin' better than pushing "go" so you can sit back and watch the machine do all the work.

I'm only about 25% joking here. Been thinking about retrofitting my own Gorton for CNC lately since I do my own manual stuff at the temperature-controlled shop at work after hours anymore.