PDA

View Full Version : Some pretty serious machinery for sure...

A.K. Boomer
11-17-2014, 10:57 AM
On the edge of lunacy - wonder how many sets of tires this guy went through, really is incredible footage and same goes for the driving - not the best 12 minutes iv ever spent but definitely not a waste of time either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=5qanlirrRWs

Black Forest
11-17-2014, 11:35 AM
That guy can drive! Now I have to google gymkhana 7.

Timewarp
11-17-2014, 11:47 AM
You never saw the Lada stunt team?

J.Ramsey
11-17-2014, 12:12 PM
Shutting down streets in a major city ain't cheap,DC shoes must sell a lot of footwear to pay for it.

From a couple years ago.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cLfkuPvsLE

EddyCurr
11-17-2014, 12:12 PM
Well, Ken Block better not try that in New York or he is going
to be answering to Manhattan District Attorney Cyrus Vance Jr.

On 2013.08.26, Adam Tang circumnavigated NYC at night in some
24 minutes. His time would have been lower had he not stopped
for red lights or refrained from exceeding 100 mph (Cdn, eh?).

Said DA Vance, “The city’s roadways are not a racetrack. Adam
Tang showed blatant disregard for our traffic laws, and this
dangerous and illegal behavior -- which he repeatedly flaunted
online -- placed lives at risk."

Instead of just issuing a massive traffic ticket, the DA decided
to open a can of Wuppa.

After being convicted in absentia by jury last week of reckless
endangerment and reckless driving, it was reported that Mr Tang
had fled the country. Failure to appear at the trial led to
revocation of his $15K bail.

Sentencing is set for December. Mr Tang faces up to 12 mo in
jail for one very tame emulation of Ken Block's serialized epic
drives through densely populated urban settings.

My view? Save it for the track, kiddies ...

A.K. Boomer
11-17-2014, 12:13 PM
"You never saw the Lada stunt team? "

Yes but was going for something a little more than a circus act :)

Eddy - it's obvious in Blocks video they had it all shut down for him --- really no difference than the hundreds of organized races across the country including some in major downtown urban area's of major cities, after they get it all closed off it is a racetrack...

EddyCurr
11-17-2014, 12:19 PM
Shutting down streets in a major city ain't cheap, DC shoes must sell a lot of footwear to pay for it.Therein may lay the root cause of NYC's discomfiture regarding Mr Tang.

krutch
11-17-2014, 12:54 PM
Wonder how much the taxpayer got bilked for this trial and the practice runs. Not cheap to block off streets, paying for cop time, and all the other costs of clear paths. With cops distracted with this stunt, how many crimes happened to be committed?
Yes, damned good driving. and no traffic jams. Not sure how that came to be. What all was shut down?

EddyCurr
11-17-2014, 12:54 PM
Eddy - it's obvious in Block's video they had it all shut down for him
--- really no difference than the hundreds of organized races across the country
including some in major downtown urban area's of major cities ...Sure. You know that. I know that.

While the Block videos lack the highly visible impact barriers, chain link fencing, race
stewards, flags, safety cars and other infrastructure common to motor racing
on the streets of St Petersburg, Toronto, Long Beach, Las Vegas, Detroit's Belle
Isle, Montreal and so on; most people still realize that Block is performing on a
closed circuit.

How come the wannabe's in their STI's, Evo's, M3's, FR-S's and clapped out Civics
can't figgure this out? Maybe because they are young and impressionable. Maybe
just because they are stupid.

Monkey-see, monkey-do ...

Here's how kids in Dubai emulate guys like Ken Block. You might think that
the same scene is being repeated multiple times, it isn't.

Anytown, UAE (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ep-T-IYHVck)

Search YouTube using Dubai or UAE and Drifting to see the kind of nonsense
that goes on there.

David Powell
11-17-2014, 01:04 PM
Therein may lay the root cause of NYC's discomfiture regarding Mr Tang.

There is no earthly reason why all drivers should not try their best to follow all traffic laws all the time. Speed limits are one of the easiest laws to follow, just consider that your maximum speed ought to be slightly under the actual speed limit, I understand that most speedometers read slightly " high " so if the limit is say 80 then if you drive at no more than 80 you are probably doing just under the limit. Would you run a HSS endmill at 300 fpm on cast iron? I once had a pretty cousin, she was killed by a fellow speeding in a work area, since then I have never knowingly driven over any speed limits, though, I sometimes exceed them inadvertantly while concentrating on traffic around me, and very occasionally deliberately to get out of a dangerous situation. The folks who decide on speed limits, and those who put up the signs , and those who try to enforce them do not do so for fun, but to try to improve road safety. Incidentally, my tires last for a long while, I get good fuel mileage on the vehicles I drive, and brake linings seldom need replacement. Regards, David Powell.

A.K. Boomer
11-17-2014, 01:58 PM
David P. sorry to hear that, this is of course a different situation and speed limits are irrelevant on race tracks.

but now that were talking about it - I only pay attention to the speed limit because I don't want a ticket and don't want to get caught - the rest of the time im doing something much more important and that is going the proper speed for the conditions - Now this can mean over by quite a bit or under by allot,,, just depends,

if im out on a two lane one way highway IN THE DAYTIME all alone as far as the eye can see with no crossroads and nothing but flat prairie on both sides and it's a road iv traveled hundreds of times then you betcha - I can be way over,

if it's nighttime which is approximately 4 times more dangerous than day, or raining, or whatever I may be in the slow lane with other people going around me because they see no difference - all they look at is the speed limit - wrong answer - it's all about being safe and maintaining control of your vehicle in a plethora of varying situations - I see people going the speed limit all the time through certain sections of my town - im talking about parked cars where they have no idea if a kid is going to run out from between two - they are also driving beached whales and most likely have just as responsive of a reaction time, not saying you are one of these - but some people focus way too much on "the law" and "the speed limit" these are generally the Non-thinking public who do not realize just how tragic their lack of foresight is or can be... yet once the kid gets squished - the skid marks will be analyzed - (even though they came a couple seconds too late) and a conclusion will be drawn that they were indeed within the "limits"

bottom line is drive what's safe for the conditions/situations/tires/type of vehicle you have/your abilities and you will be golden,,,,,,,, and the fact is is the speed limit really does not have much to do with any of that... it all varies and sometimes not in your favor, keep in mind it's no "stamp of approval" that you can do it --- it's just a rough draft and can be either way too low or way too high depending...

one last thing, the vid I posted was supposed to be fun to watch... lets not ruin it by making it something its not...

Black Forest
11-17-2014, 02:10 PM
I don't think I would like to be sitting in one of the patrol cars when the racer is drifting circles round and round. Can you imagine the stink?

I think the only thing Mustang about the car was the emblem!

flylo
11-17-2014, 03:55 PM
There is no earthly reason why all drivers should not try their best to follow all traffic laws all the time. Speed limits are one of the easiest laws to follow, just consider that your maximum speed ought to be slightly under the actual speed limit, I understand that most speedometers read slightly " high " so if the limit is say 80 then if you drive at no more than 80 you are probably doing just under the limit. Would you run a HSS endmill at 300 fpm on cast iron? I once had a pretty cousin, she was killed by a fellow speeding in a work area, since then I have never knowingly driven over any speed limits, though, I sometimes exceed them inadvertantly while concentrating on traffic around me, and very occasionally deliberately to get out of a dangerous situation. The folks who decide on speed limits, and those who put up the signs , and those who try to enforce them do not do so for fun, but to try to improve road safety. Incidentally, my tires last for a long while, I get good fuel mileage on the vehicles I drive, and brake linings seldom need replacement. Regards, David Powell.

Sorry about your sister, I lost mine to a drunk driver. Now that that's over IMHO I really feel bad that you must live a really boring life. Most of my life I lived for speed & adrenalin. In high school we drag raced almost every day. Motocross, hillclimbing, skydiving, flying aerobatics, etc, etc. Slow may be for you but not for me. Lack of skill & poor judgemnt kills, not speed IMHO.

Normanv
11-17-2014, 04:00 PM
It's all so pointless!

EddyCurr
11-17-2014, 04:23 PM
Hello?

As an advertising strategy for his sports apparel company DC Shoes and
the brands of his sponsors the exercise is very pointFULL.

Watch the exposure this video garners. Hard to buy that at any price,
much less have fun doing so.

Axkiker
11-17-2014, 04:29 PM
I thought it was a cool video.

Ultimately im guessing DC paid a bunch of money to the city to have the streets shut down as a promotional stunt. Not sure why its such a big deal. If kids try to emulate its IMO just bad parenting.

Doc Nickel
11-17-2014, 04:40 PM
All those videos take a backseat to the original (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C%27%C3%A9tait_un_rendez-vous). :D

Doc.

A.K. Boomer
11-17-2014, 04:56 PM
Doc now that was just plain irresponsible lol - unless all staged and that would have taken some doing,,,

that car really was not that fast or going that fast, just had a very short gearbox with a low top end. still good sounds and good driving for sure...

J.Ramsey
11-17-2014, 04:58 PM
All those videos take a backseat to the original (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C%27%C3%A9tait_un_rendez-vous). :D

Doc.

The driver in that film is an unsafe moron for driving like that on populated roads.
Ken's cars are all custom crafted race cars built with driver safety along with performance in mind.

EddyCurr
11-17-2014, 05:14 PM
All those videos take a backseat to THE original (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgQfm0yW9aE). :D

Doc.Fixed the link

A.K. Boomer
11-17-2014, 05:18 PM
I knew I liked that sound - they dubbed in a V12 Ferrari --- Looks like the "original" is an imposter,,,

plus it was not staged and even though they tried to take some precautions the guy could have easily killed someone,

top speeds were estimated pretty slow but look at the surroundings - not cool...

mike4
11-17-2014, 05:23 PM
As a couple have said , its in fun and entertaining.

It does not matter what anyone does there will always be those who think that it should be performed under strict rules in a certain way or not at all .

Everyone has their right to an opinion , not all are correct .

But let people have fun and if you dont like it no one forced you to watch .

Michael

Doc Nickel
11-17-2014, 05:34 PM
Fixed the link.

-The "rondez-vous" was real (well, to an extent.) The movie car chase wasn't.

The driver in that film is an unsafe moron for driving like that on populated roads.

-Unsafe? Granted. Moron? Hardly. While I don't necessarily 'condone' the action, I can at least give him credit. Early in the morning, professional (or at least very experienced) driver, some measure of safety precautions taken. Yeah, he didn't jump through all the hoops and stacks of paperwork that would be necessary today, but then, neither did Buster Keaton when he let two tons of house wall fall on him. :D

Doc.

KiddZimaHater
11-17-2014, 06:32 PM
I feel sorry for the people of L.A.
Not only do they have the WORST traffic in North America on a daily basis, but they routinely have their streets and freeways shut down due to filming, Presidential visits, Hollywood shenanigans, and dumb stunts like this.

A.K. Boomer
11-17-2014, 06:33 PM
To be honest I love the concept of rally car racing, have ever since I was a kid and used to thrash my old BMW in the dirt, - but I hate how it's done and really don't like to watch it due to that fact.

people just begging to be creamed standing on outside turns fer cri sake,,, and drivers that would have to override their conscience just to drive the way they do around a crowd like that, you can count me out as driver or spectator... even if I was a safe spectator I would not want to witness any of that, there are great thrills and there is just plain being stupid...

even sitting on your couch years after the fact that something like that happened it's still no fun watching a car lose control and go into a crowd and kill and maim a bunch of people, stupid people or not they can still feel pain and most likely have families of some kind...

lwalker
11-17-2014, 09:09 PM
This (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6zkx4xEQ6M) was a (small) part of the reason I ended up buying my 350Z 10 years ago. Having previously owned a 280Z was a larger bit of it, but the video helped :-)

fixerdave
11-17-2014, 09:39 PM
I don't think I would like to be sitting in one of the patrol cars when the racer is drifting circles round and round. Can you imagine the stink?

I think the only thing Mustang about the car was the emblem!

First thing that I thought... damn, that car must STINK something fierce. It's a fun piece of kit but I'd hate to have to do any work on it.

As for the rest of it... can't say I'm a big fan of drifting on pavement in general, seems that most times it's just a matter of bad traction making the car go slow, right up there with the car-jumping hydraulics... just showing off. But, AWD drifting... now that has merit at least in the maneuverability department. The guy is bending that car around some serious corners at speed. I'm wondering how it would compare to a real car, say that one that beat the Pike's Peak record... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y20CLumT2Sg Somehow, I bet that car would trash this Mustang, except for maybe a few of those turns. Wouldn't look as cool but I suspect it would turn substantially better times overall.

As for cost... I'm going to assume they double-booked a bunch of locations (maybe even helicopters and film crews) with other movie productions around the town. Let them finish the shoot and, if they get done in time, do a run with the Mustang. Probably not all done in a day. Wouldn't be surprised if a bunch of the cop cars were just movie props as well, especially the OJ joke.

Oh, my favorite... the donuts around the donut shop. But, they should have staged a bunch of cop cars in that parking lot too.

David...

A.K. Boomer
11-17-2014, 10:15 PM
yeah and if the stang ever attempted to do the climb it would esp. eat its lunch, esp. if it's normally aspirated it's 845 ponies would drop down to around 600 or less the higher he goes,
I think they had "special" tires on the stang though - as in not so special just to induce wheelspin and put on a show, that car was in a drift almost all the way through the video

The PP hill climb cars are of a breed all their own, I can attest after climbing that run from manitou to summit on my Mt. bike up barr camp trail that the lack of oxygen is no picnic... I could have used a turbo charger real bad the last half mile...

although the pavement would be so much easier it still would not be a walk in the park...

morehelium
11-18-2014, 05:31 AM
Awesome...

I especially liked the homage to the OJ Simpson chase... brilliant.