PDA

View Full Version : New to the forum and need some advice

Redleg105
11-17-2014, 05:00 PM
I'm looking to buy an Atlas or Craftsman lathe. I believe Atlas made them for Sears. I would like to know if the Craftsman lathes had roller bearings in the head. I don't want to buy one with babbit bearings. Does anyone know which models of both Atlas and Craftsman came with roller bearings?

dp
11-17-2014, 05:13 PM
This might be a good place to start. http://www.lathes.co.uk/craftsman/index.html

I have a 12" Craftman Commercial lathe that has bearings. Most if not all of these lathes have Zamak parts, too, and they don't suffer abuse well. There's a lot of replacement parts on Ebay should you need them. My lathe works great though it is pushing 40 years age, and is still like new.

KJ1I
11-17-2014, 05:19 PM
The Atlas lathes will have a THxx as the model number, where the xx is the bed size. This indicates they have Timken roller bearings. Yes, Atlas made some (most) of the Craftsman lathes, but at least one other company did as well. I don't remember which right off the top of my head, I'd have to look it up. The Atlas 10" lathes are TH42 and TH54. The 6" roller bearing model is #618.

Also consider Logan and South Bend lathes. They may be close to your price range. A lot depends on where you are and what is available in your area. You might want to add your location to your profile.

PS: Welcome to the forum. You'll find lots of good people and advice here.

Axkiker
11-17-2014, 05:25 PM
dont for get the Rockwells!!!!!!

Rosco-P
11-17-2014, 05:30 PM
Forget the SouthBends, go for a Sheldon or Hendey.

flylo
11-17-2014, 05:40 PM
The latest 6" Craftsman had Timkin roller bearings but look at some pictures as it's easy to tell. Dunlap mage some lathes for Craftsman also & in my opinion stay away from these.I agree about Logan & SB as worth looking at also. Parts & accessories are much easier to find for SB, Atlas & Logan than others mentioned IMHO.
P.S. Welcome to the forum & you might want to post where you're from as you may have someone close to help.

J. Randall
11-17-2014, 07:52 PM
He might live in the Caribbean, if so probably not a lot of choices.
James

Mike Amick
11-17-2014, 10:08 PM
Hi Red ..

Just curious .. is this your first lathe and you are thinking these would be the right size and
cost to start out .. or are you experienced and looking for a project ?

Only ask because if you are a little patient, and tenacious about your search .. you may
find something of a much better quality for about the same price ..

Mike A

RichR
11-17-2014, 10:09 PM
Hi Redleg105
Welcome to the forum. My Atlas 10 inch was manufactured in 1940 and has roller bearings. Babbit is easy to spot:
http://www.lathes.co.uk/atlas/img8.gif
See the bolts on either side of the spindle oilers, only babbit machines have them.

Redleg105
11-18-2014, 09:18 AM
I did. I'm in New Hampshire

J. Randall
11-18-2014, 08:14 PM
I did. I'm in New Hampshire

People make good parts with the Atlas, but being in that area I would hold out for something better, should be some around. I started out on the Atlas, and was very soon wanting to move up.
James

Axkiker
11-18-2014, 08:25 PM
What was the budget

Redleg105
11-20-2014, 04:39 PM
Looked at a Rockwell 25-100 today. Couldn't see the voltage on the motor. Do you know what it would be? Seller is asking $2500. Is that a fair price?

justanengineer
11-20-2014, 04:51 PM
For a beautifully restored machine with a ton of tooling its fair. For anything less, it better be in your backyard and you put a high price on your personal time.

Boston might be invading, but there should be plenty of old iron within a few hours drive. Hopefully you only will want to buy a machine every few years if that, so I'd suggest holding out for a deal.

Axkiker
11-20-2014, 07:28 PM
Looked at a Rockwell 25-100 today. Couldn't see the voltage on the motor. Do you know what it would be? Seller is asking $2500. Is that a fair price?

I have an 11" rockwell and like it. 2500 for the lathe unless its perfect with a BUNCH of tooling is way high. I would think this lathe with minimal tooling in good condition should be around 1500.00 or a little less.

I dont have much to compare it to but everything I have read leads me to believe these lathes are pretty stout as compared to other lathes of a similar footprint / weight etc. Its no monarch though.

Make sure it has the hardened bed

I think its probably 110 single phase. Or at least if I remember correctly mine was and it was the original rockwell motor. These were widely used in schools

Axkiker
11-20-2014, 07:33 PM

Another thought I had regarding the rockwells is to look for one with a broken varidrive. They tend to break anyways, so why not find one crapped out and replace it with a 3ph vfd. If its broken right off the bat you will probably get it dirt cheap and can put the savings into the vfd and motor. Then you have a reliable drive for no more money

alanganes
11-20-2014, 08:06 PM
I'd second holding out for a better deal.

Not sure where in NH you are located, but I have seen a number of pretty decent looking lathe deals on the MA Craig's list in the past few weeks. I am not in the market for one so did not do any more than glace at them, but they seem to come up regularly. Often some pretty good deals, particularly if you are willing to spend 2500 bucks. If you are way north or west on NH the pickings may be a bit thinner, but still deals to be had around here. Be patient and good luck!

PixMan
11-20-2014, 08:47 PM
This area is indeed rich for finding lathes, mills, saws, grinders and tooling on the local Craigslist. My default is the Boston one because it's the largest, but being in central MA (and NOT having the mindset of a 1/2 hour drive is a bit much) I also peruse Worcester, Western MA, New Hampster, Rhode Island, and Hartford. I'll even hit Albany NY and further. A lot of stuff posted on the Maine one will be south coast because that where 90% of the ME population is.

Plenty out there. Be patient for the right one, but POUNCE ON IT when you find it.

goose
11-20-2014, 10:48 PM
$1500 in good condition is a fantasy price for a lathe the size of a Rockwell 11". A few years ago, sure. I paid $900 for mine about 6 years ago, But now, $2000 to $3000 for the same. There's one in my area, very well tooled, asking $2750. Considering the part out value for chucks, tail stocks, collet drawbars and collet racks, steady rests, etc. only a fool would ask for less.

RWO
11-21-2014, 01:09 PM
Sometime in the 50's Sears Craftsman 6 x 18 lathes made by Atlas had sleeve bearings. I know because I had one as my first lathe. The headstock bearings were ordinary sintered bronze( Oilite) type but had split housings so the clearance could be adjusted with a tension bolt. The rest of the lathe was a standard Atlas 6" and the spindle thread was 1 x 8. I always assumed they predated the roller bearing types, but I am not sure. Might have been a cost cutting measure by Sears to hold the price down.

RWO

flylo
11-21-2014, 03:41 PM
The key to buying anything is buy it right so when you upgrade you get all your money back plus. Whatever you buy you'll no doubt upgrade as you learn & define what you need. Good hunting!

Axkiker
11-22-2014, 04:08 PM
$1500 in good condition is a fantasy price for a lathe the size of a Rockwell 11". A few years ago, sure. I paid $900 for mine about 6 years ago, But now, $2000 to $3000 for the same. There's one in my area, very well tooled, asking $2750. Considering the part out value for chucks, tail stocks, collet drawbars and collet racks, steady rests, etc. only a fool would ask for less.

Holy carp!!!! I havent seen these kind of lathes bring those numbers, but if thats the case im thrilled. I may look at upgrading sooner rather than later