X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The Artful Bodger
    • Apr 2009

New cars, more moaning!!!

This time it is with the published dimensions! I find most brochure state the width as the width with the mirrors folded in!

Grrrrrrrr!
    Ashburton, New Zealand
  • darryl
    • Jan 2003

If the tailpipe sticks out, they probably don't count that either
    I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

• mike4
      • Aug 2010

Be very careful there The Artful Bodger , you will be classed as a whinger.

Michael

Comment

• bollie7
        • May 2008

Originally posted by mike4 View Post
        Be very careful there The Artful Bodger , you will be classed as a whinger.

Michael
        yeah, but he's a kiwi, so thats ok.
        All jokes aside I understand what you are saying Artful, its a bit like the stated weight of the car. When you add in the weight of the oil, coolant, air in the tyres etc its a bit heavier than they say.
        regards
        bollie7

Comment

• wbleeker
          • Nov 2001

LOL everything is changing anyway on this side of the world! My wife has pre ordered a Mustang! 4 Cylinder the numberplate is FILLY (NSW)
          it is on my ute at the moment and the son won't drive it
          Willl
          Last edited by wbleeker; 11-18-2014, 03:39 AM.

Comment

• Baz
            • May 2013

I think if you 'park' a yacht they will be sure to measure the length including the bowsprit and charge for every foot. Ferries probably include the exhaust pipe if they charge by length.

Comment

• Euph0ny
              • Sep 2011

Originally posted by The Artful Bodger View Post
              This time it is with the published dimensions! I find most brochure state the width as the width with the mirrors folded in!
              My brother-in-law was caught out by this recently. He was driving a large BMW and got a ticket for being over-wide in the reduced lane of some roadworks. The width listed in the car's paperwork was within the allowed dimension, but having the wing mirrors in driving position put the total over the limit.

Comment

• aostling
                • Feb 2006

Originally posted by The Artful Bodger View Post
                If it was a Tesla that would make sense. They offer an upgrade which folds the mirrors back with a remote switch. My brother got that installed on his since parking in European cities is a tight squeeze.
                Allan Ostling

Phoenix, Arizona

Comment

• CCWKen
                  • Jan 2003

Some cars automatically "park" the mirrors when the ignition is turned off. I don't understand the width restriction on the road though. Must be a foreign thing.

Comment

• The Artful Bodger
                    • Apr 2009

Electric parkable mirrors are of course not new and some of the cars we are looking at offer these but I want the mirrors out when I reverse out of the garage and thats where the width is critical!
                    Ashburton, New Zealand

Comment

• krutch
                      • Jan 2010

Cut clearance in the garage door jam for the mirrors! And stay off restricted width roads.
                      Krutch

Mentally confused and prone to wandering!

Comment

• Mike Burch
                        • Sep 2008

If a car can park only in a space that's narrower than the car-plus-mirrors, how does the driver get into the thing? I mean, crawling in through the tailgate is a bit undignified, John!

Comment

• The Artful Bodger
                          • Apr 2009

One gets into the car either when the car is parked either in the garage or out of the garage. One does not park partway through the garage portal.
                          Ashburton, New Zealand

Comment

• justanengineer
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by wbleeker View Post
                            the numberplate is FILLY (NSW)
                            it is on my ute at the moment and the son won't drive it
                            ROTFLMAO!! Considering at least here stateside that filly is slang for a woman who is somewhere between a swinger and a prostitute its no wonder the kid didnt want to drive it. I can only imagine the sort of reaction your wife will get if Oz is anything like the US, least here stateside I prob wouldnt let SWMBO out driving that w/out a handgun in the glovebox of her '68.
                            "I am, and ever will be, a white-socks, pocket-protector, nerdy engineer -- born under the second law of thermodynamics, steeped in the steam tables, in love with free-body diagrams, transformed by Laplace, and propelled by compressible flow."

Comment

• J. Randall
                              • Jul 2003

Originally posted by justanengineer View Post
                              ROTFLMAO!! Considering at least here stateside that filly is slang for a woman who is somewhere between a swinger and a prostitute its no wonder the kid didnt want to drive it. I can only imagine the sort of reaction your wife will get if Oz is anything like the US, least here stateside I prob wouldnt let SWMBO out driving that w/out a handgun in the glovebox of her '68.
                              That is the first time I have ever heard that about the word filly. It has certainly not had that meaning in my part of the U.S., and just out of curiosity I googled it, read the whole first page, and never found anything derogatory there either. Maybe it is just your locality.
                              James

Comment

Working...
                              X