PDA

View Full Version : OT mouse wheel

duckman
11-18-2014, 02:25 PM
Been visiting my cousin for a few weeks, my daughter and grand daughter have been using my computer, just got back and found that I don't have scrolling using the wheel on the mouse, any idea what could be wrong.

brian Rupnow
11-18-2014, 02:32 PM
Go into the settings for the mouse and check to see if the "scroll" function is enabled or not. Start/control panel/devices and printers/ mouse

EddyCurr
11-18-2014, 02:40 PM
my daughter and grand daughter have been using my computer,
just got back and found that I don't have scrolling using the wheel on
the mouse, any idea what could be wrong.Check function of the mechanical interface - especially if the outer casing is unusually clean.

duckman
11-18-2014, 03:25 PM
OK I took the dongle and mouse out of my laptop and but it in my desk top, works fine, looks like I need a new mouse.

dp
11-18-2014, 03:40 PM
If you haven't seen one yet try a Touch Mouse for Windows (or Magic Mouse for Macs). No ball, no wheel, multiple gestures, no moving parts. Not recommended with gloved or wet hands because the capacitance sensors get confused, but they're sure nice at the desktop. Especially if you have cats whose fur likes to wind around tracking actuators.

TGTool
11-18-2014, 05:13 PM
I've had the same problem with a Logitech mouse. I took the cover off and removing the cat fur from the wheel fixed the problem. YMMV.

Silverback
11-19-2014, 05:30 AM
OK I took the dongle and mouse out of my laptop and but it in my desk top, works fine, looks like I need a new mouse.

If it works in one machine and not in the other than it pretty much has to be a setting on the computer that doesn't work has changed, do what Brian suggested

EddyCurr
11-19-2014, 10:55 AM
Unless he had the laptop with him while he was travelling and it is
the desktop mouse back home that the offspring were slathering
up with pizza sauce and PB&J during his absence.

duckman
11-19-2014, 01:03 PM
Yeah I had my lap top with me and it's when I got home the mouse wheel wouldn't work on my desk top, that's when I did the switch, mouse from lap top to desk top and it works like it should.

paul463
11-19-2014, 01:09 PM
I've had the same problem with a Logitech mouse. I took the cover off and removing the cat fur from the wheel fixed the problem. YMMV.
Yep.
Fur and fuzz messed up my mouse wheel. Take it apart and blow it out, back in business.

MrSleepy
11-19-2014, 03:04 PM
LOL..Very similar to one of my occasional issues..

My/This Toshiba laptop has a Synaptics scroll/gesture pad... and has a (unknown to me,and the documentation) keystroke combination to disable its gesture recognition.

Occasionally.. one of our 5 cats will sit on the warm keyboard ,totally disabling the mouse gesture recognition...and the only way I've been able to restore it is by reloading the drivers.

Rob

Circlip
11-20-2014, 04:16 AM
Plastic hex drive shaft through rotary switch broken.

Regards Ian.