PDA

View Full Version : Used mill opinions please

R.burgy
11-19-2014, 06:22 AM
I found a used mill on Craigslist. Asking 900$. I will copy the post. I would like anyone's
2 cents. Be as brutal as you'd like. It's a Burke number 4 vertical and horizontal. I am going to take some pics as well. Going to do some research before getting serious about it. Thanks guys

For sale is a burke number 4 milling machine complete with the coveted vertical milling attachment. This is a fabulous little horizontal mill that doubles as a vertical milling machine. The mill comes with the vertical attachment, 3 colllets for holding endmills, an arbor for horizontal cutting, and a few cutters. It is on the original burke stand but can also be benchtop mounted if you wish.

craigslist - Map data OpenStreetMap
(google map) (yahoo map)

do NOT contact me with unsolicited services or offers
post id: 4746755603 posted: 14 days ago email to friend ♥ best of [?]

RussZHC
11-19-2014, 07:55 AM
If the current CL is any indication, I would certainly start at a lower $$$ figure, based solely on what else is available.

Largely a matter of condition, that vertical head is tougher to find...small but IMO better built than some other smaller mills, Yahoo! group so there is a community for info, suggestions and "support"

J Tiers
11-19-2014, 08:06 AM
Where you are, in what ought to be the tool-rich east (you may be a bit out of the major area of Ohio and NY) that seems like it should be lower. Yeah vertical head... but seems high for the location

R.burgy
11-19-2014, 09:36 AM
Where you are, in what ought to be the tool-rich east (you may be a bit out of the major area of Ohio and NY) that seems like it should be lower. Yeah vertical head... but seems high for the location

I live just outside pittsburgh. I thought it a little high too. I'm going to take a look at it, but certainly will not meet that tarriff. I can wait for a better deal

flylo
11-19-2014, 09:37 AM
And of course it's all about condition & availabily of parts & accessories. If it looks good bring out $500 cash & he'll probably take it.

spongerich
11-19-2014, 09:47 AM
Even here in the northeast, small horizontal mills are tough to find.
$900 seems a little high, but I don't think that $750 would be out of line if it's in decent shape.