PDA

View Full Version : OT- power outage water (hand) pump

Abner
11-21-2014, 08:30 AM
I was out doing errands yesterday and saw a flier on these. Similar to the old hand pumps but it connects into your house water system. Pumps into pressure and from a deep well. Clever!

http://www.simplepump.com/

rws
11-21-2014, 05:21 PM
One of these days, I'll make or buy one similar. Most of the deep well pumps just pump water, but hey, it's better than no water! If you search enough, you can gleen what you need to make something on your own.

oldtiffie
11-22-2014, 12:23 AM
Why not use a generator on the pump?

I guess that the "power outage" is only temporary - say anywhere from a couple of hours to a couple of days

Abner
11-22-2014, 06:39 AM
Yeah I agree and especially for the price (ouch!). We have too many demands that need to be met that we will not have a generator or run one. I like the idea of pumping into a domestic water system - no dragging buckets in to flush the toilet - but those days for us are long ago. :)

bruto
11-22-2014, 10:23 AM
Here in the country, depending on power for not only water but heat and so forth, I've opted for a generator, but the pump shown is not a bad idea at all. It's also not all that new. Though I've not seen deep well versions before, hand pressure pumps have been around for a while, and I found a couple in the dump back in the 70's. I probably still have one or two deep in the recesses of the barn.

Of course, to get water out of a deep well, you can't just lift, but must put at least one stage of the pump down in the water. They note you can get water out of a very deep well, but to do so with such a small light pump is likely to require a lot of effort, as a couple of hundred feet of rod adds a significant load. I've been at a few campgrounds in the past where they had deep well hand pumps, but these were big, cast iron things, and required a fair amount of action before water started coming out.

The pump shown certainly looks as if it should do the job, and I like the idea of a hand pump that piggybacks on the pitless adapter. If you depend on well water and for some reason don't want to have a generator, or don't want to run it so often, this certainly is one way to insure that you can always flush the toilets and make coffee. I suspect that in real use you'd most likely use it occasionally to fill the tub for easier indoor bucket flushes.