PDA

View Full Version : OT: Where to Find Plastic Strip for Truck Cap

Paul Alciatore
11-21-2014, 01:07 PM
I have a cap on the back of my truck and, like many such, it has a number of metal (extruded aluminum) strips with a flexible plastic (vinyl?) strip covering the screw heads in that extruded strip. Those plastic strips are starting to age and crack and I want to replace them.

I went to a local shop that installs those caps for the first one that cracked and they charged me almost $50 to replace just that one. That is just too much for a five minute job and 8 or 10 feet of the plastic strip. Their prices on the caps are out of sight too. So I hate to go back there.

Yesterday I stopped at a bunch of local auto and hardware stores and could not find any of this material. This morning I searched on the web, also with little luck. But that is probably a matter of terminology.

Does anybody know where I can find some of this flexible plastic strip material? Or at least what to search for? The proper search words? I need a material that is about 7/8" wide and about 1/32" thick. I am willing to buy a full roll as the remainder of the strips will probably go bad over the next year or two.

bob_s
11-21-2014, 01:27 PM
Sort of like?

3M vinyl striping

www.vinylstriping.com

PTSideshow
11-21-2014, 01:58 PM
Check here, They use to sell the inserts for extruded aluminum pieces
http://www.outwatercatalogs.com/home/index.cfm
Can't tell you which catalog it was in but try the signage and display products first!

Video Man
11-21-2014, 02:03 PM
Try searching "auto trim" or "truck trim" --- quick Google search turned up quite a few, here is a custom maker, for example: http://www.customautotrim.com/products/moldings/body_1_1eights.htm. Know nothing of them, just an example....

CarlByrns
11-21-2014, 03:12 PM
RV dealers have it on rolls in white or black. I redid all of the channel trim on my Jayco camper for about $50.

Paul Alciatore
11-21-2014, 08:17 PM
RV dealers! Why didn't I think about that.

Thanks!!!

mikegt4
11-23-2014, 01:13 PM
RV dealers! Why didn't I think about that.

Thanks!!!

Boat dealers too!

lost_cause
11-24-2014, 07:55 AM
clamshell type covered snowmobile trailers use it too. i need to get a roll to do mine before winter really hits.

i'm suspecting you don't see too many snowmobile trailer dealers in your area though :D