PDA

View Full Version : Everything You Always Wanted To Know About Oil (But Were Afraid To Ask)

martik
11-22-2014, 12:50 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXqkOZAkXZw

Well, not everything but watching Erin is worthwhile

CCWKen
11-22-2014, 12:58 PM
I fell asleep at about the 2:00 mark. :rolleyes:

Forrest Addy
11-22-2014, 04:27 PM
Interesting the way the host first treated the pretty face as a pretty face but as his respect for her obvious knowledge and experience increased he shifted to plain interested questioner and laft the bar-room gallantry off.

Here's the take away I think applies here. The topic was oils for internal combution engine lubrication. We in the machine shop need machine and gear oils not engine oils. Except for the rule: any oil is bettter than no oil the requirements for for machine oils are different from motor oils. Machine oils in geared machine tool transmissions function in an entirely different environment than in an internal combustion engine and so are compounded differently.

In a machine tool transmission there is no water vapor, heat, combustion acids, fuel dilution, etc so no additives to mitigate them are needed in machine oils. On the other hand there is low speed boundry lubrication, unique to slow turning gearing and lead screws there is no requirement for thixotropic additives to promote adhesion to static inclined surfaces and low shear resistance required for way oils.

None of these matters were discussed in the video so the motor heads and machine heads have to assess and conclude what part of the video applies to our respective needs. For me it's simple. It's all automotive therefore, except for some interesting discussion of viscosity indexes, coding of lubricants intended for different engine service, etc there's little that appplies to my needs.

And of course there is Erin who should be an reminder to us all that impressive credentials may reside behind many pretty faces. I used to work with a very competant female welder who in her prime looked like a runway model. Us slobbering old farts when confronted with attractive women should take a moment for a neutral assessment before allowing our macho BS, misplaced gallantry, and bar-room hormones to kick in.

outback
11-27-2014, 11:42 PM
Interesting information. I had a couple of Ford 302's that had oil related failures back in the early eighties. Since that happened I have always paid attention to motor oil information. Bottom line, pay attention the engine manufacturers recommendations when it comes to oil.

The Ford 302's that failed did so because I didn't follow the Fords oil recommendation. I used 10W40 because I thought that
was the best oil. I learned 10W40 had much more viscosity savers than 10W30 and those viscosity savers are not necessarily good lubricants. While 10W40 worked well in an air cooled motorcycle engine it was over kill in a family car. The average person just did not need 10W40. A pickup truck towing a heavy trailer at high speeds for long distances was a more typical application for 10W40. So I switched to 10W30 until the wife bought a 2001 Ford Taurus that required 5W20. These days I'm
using 5W20 and 5W30. The motorcycle still gets the 10W40.

Two cycle oil is another interesting animal when it comes to oil. I had a co-worker that always thought oil is oil so he ran
10W40 in his 25 horse Johnson outboard. Told me I was an idiot for using outboard oil in my outboard motors. He also changed
motor oil in his pickup trucks every 10,000 miles. The co-worker had countless engine failures but always blamed the engine manufacturer not the oil he was using.