PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Miss Piggy or ideas on a Planer

Stepside
11-26-2014, 12:14 PM
Since Kermit the Shaper is all but finished, my thoughts turned to a Planer.

At this point I am just fishing for ideas. My thoughts would be something in the size of 24 to 30 inches long for the total machine. It appears that most of the smaller ones were driven by a rack and pinion. Other ideas? Examples?

I am not interested in something with computer controls but rather more of the "old school" and just for fun. I have a Bridgeport mill and a small CNC milling machine as well as a 7" shaper so practicality has nothing to do with the project.

Thanks in advance

Pete

oil mac
11-26-2014, 12:31 PM
Hi Pete,
This thread is incomplete without a photograph of your shaper! Go for Miss Piggy, A small planer of say 20" stroke 6"wide table x6" under the crossrail is a convenient size, I have one a nice handy little machine and it is hand powered, By setting the outward stop, I can plane up to a line, ( providing I have clearance for the tool run out, When working on a delicate component one can go really slow & carefully
Perhaps you could fabricate a lot of your proposed machine tool

Richard P Wilson
11-26-2014, 12:45 PM
Since Kermit the Shaper is all but finished, my thoughts turned to a Planer.

At this point I am just fishing for ideas. My thoughts would be something in the size of 24 to 30 inches long for the total machine. It appears that most of the smaller ones were driven by a rack and pinion. Other ideas? Examples?

I am not interested in something with computer controls but rather more of the "old school" and just for fun. I have a Bridgeport mill and a small CNC milling machine as well as a 7" shaper so practicality has nothing to do with the project.

Thanks in advance

Pete

PM sent

Richard

Stepside
11-26-2014, 02:12 PM
Oil Mac

Search for A dollar a day for a year. This will give you a series of photos and comments as I built Kermit. At this point in time I have cut the first gear tooth with the indexing attachment. All that is left is to mount it/him on a sturdy workbench and cut away.

oil mac
11-26-2014, 03:52 PM
Thanks Pete
I look forward to looking up your article