PDA

View Full Version : Photobucket

jackary
11-26-2014, 01:45 PM
Can anybody tell me what has happened to Photobucket. It used to be an informative site showing information about photos that have been uploaded, enabling comments and how many views etc. All that seems to have disappeared (At least from my photos). Now it seems to be just sales site omitting comments etc and allegiances to facebook, trending? and lots of things of that ilk. Makes one feel that they regard you as just another punter read mug. Am I doing something wrong or is it Photobucket thats changed.
Alan

PStechPaul
11-26-2014, 04:25 PM
I don't use Photobucket and when I went to their site it does seem to push all sorts of "products". I entered a link to a picture in someone's "bucket" and I could see the image but an annoying "wiggling" popup claimed that I needed an "upgrade" to my media viewer. I usually recommend http://tinypic.com/ - it has a pop-up for a "PC cleaner", but at least the home page is directly related to uploading and resizing images.

Remember that these are all "free" and TANSTAAFL, and you get what you pay for and "free" usually means getting something useful (an asset) along with something you don't want (a debit, or liability) which may balance in your favor but usually more to the benefit of the service provider and their level of "greed". I prefer a paid hosting site, like www.1and1.com, where for about $5/month I have virtually unlimited storage and a unique domain name.

Axkiker
11-26-2014, 06:39 PM
Im not real thrilled with PB either. Just doesnt seem that user friendly to me.

J Tiers
11-26-2014, 06:45 PM
Seems to work OK if you are a long-time user.

oldtiffie
11-26-2014, 07:21 PM
As a long-time user I have no problem either - so I agree with JTiers.

There are frequent changes but a bit of patience and perseverance usually sets me right.

lakeside53
11-26-2014, 07:25 PM
I also have zero problem with it.

Lew Hartswick
11-26-2014, 09:30 PM
I haven't use it in a whie but the last time I did it worked OK . When they make those major "updates"
it always takes me a while to re-figgure it out. :-)
...lew...

jackary
11-27-2014, 05:34 AM
I consider myself to be a long time user but have to agree with PStechPaul. From now on I think I will become an ex long time user.
Alan

Ed ke6bnl
11-27-2014, 09:02 AM
Can anybody tell me what has happened to Photobucket. It used to be an informative site showing information about photos that have been uploaded, enabling comments and how many views etc. All that seems to have disappeared (At least from my photos). Now it seems to be just sales site omitting comments etc and allegiances to facebook, trending? and lots of things of that ilk. Makes one feel that they regard you as just another punter read mug. Am I doing something wrong or is it Photobucket thats changed.
Alan

I just went to tinypic and realized I had already signed up for it. BUT what I like about photobucket is that I can have pic. from phone auto download to the app I do not see that for tinypic. But tinypic sure loads and works faster then photobucket

RichR
11-27-2014, 09:40 AM
The Photobucket pages load a lot slower than Tinypic. It drives me a little nuts when forum members post a link to Photobucket rather use IMG tags
because of the slow response times when browsing pictures directly at the site.
Interestingly enough, this appears at the bottom of the Tinypic web page:

© 2004-2014 TinyPic®, a Photobucket Video & Photo Sharing Company
I hope they don't add any improvements to slow this site down.

Barrington
11-27-2014, 01:30 PM
From the Tinypic FAQ page (http://tinypic.com/faq.php):-

Q: How long are images kept?
A: The images are kept until they have not been viewed for 90 days. After 90 days have elapsed, your image may be removed.
Archived threads might start looking a bit empty if a lot of people switch to it...

Cheers

PStechPaul
11-28-2014, 05:39 PM
That's why it's a good idea for the forum to host the images. For important threads that are archived, they could be converted to PDF. I did that for some threads that were in a now discontinued dog forum. There are methods (such as wget (http://www.gnu.org/software/wget/)) whereby the content of forums may be retrieved in their totality, but generally such methods only retrieve the HTML. However, there are ways to have it also download image links so that they won't be lost. There is a "Web Archive" format (MHT) that combines everything in a single (but sometimes huge) file.

This is a problem with forums that have valuable content that serves as a reference for various topics. There is no guarantee that the forum will be continued in perpetuity, as I saw with the Cesar Millan forum I mentioned, and a similar situation for image hosting sites like Photobucket and Tinypic. Using a private virtual server as I do for my images only guarantees retention and accessibility as long as I maintain it. I have been able to maintain the integrity of links by using my own domain name and maintaining the same directory structure when I switched from Dreamhost to 1and1 some time ago, but the content is secure only as long as I maintain the domains and the servers.

More info:
http://www.desktoppublishingforum.com/bb/archive/index.php/t-7061.html (discusses MHTML web archive)
http://www.web2pdfconvert.com/ (converts web page directly to PDF)

Here is the result of using the web2pdfconvert on-line app:
http://enginuitysystems.com/files/bbs-homeshopmachinist-net_Photobucket.pdf

To see how it handles images from Photobucket:
http://enginuitysystems.com/files/bbs-homeshopmachinist-net_65149-1.pdf

Lew Hartswick
11-29-2014, 09:56 AM
As to Tinypic someone should give them a hint. It's a real pita to try and sign up when the ads cover
the place to enter data. That's enough to quell any enthusiasm for the site. :-(
...lew...

Seastar
11-29-2014, 10:24 AM
I've been using Imageshack for years with good results but now they have switched to a pay mode that is almost impossible to figure out.
If they wanted to go to pay why didn't they leave the rest of the site alone?
It worked fine.
I hate "upgrades".
Bill

PStechPaul
11-29-2014, 03:42 PM
As a tip for Photobucket users, you can get the direct URL for the image by either right-clicking and selecting "Copy image location", or use their tool button on the right for "Direct". Then the image displays directly in the post and makes things easier to follow:

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa294/oldtiffie/Lathe_misc/I-Fanger3.jpg

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa294/oldtiffie/Lathe_misc/I-Fanger3.jpg

Paul Alciatore
11-30-2014, 01:07 AM
On Photobucket, the album pages, which show a number of photos in that album, do not show the titles or descriptions. You have to click on a picture to view it individually to see that information.

But, I do not see any ads on Photobucket. Here is my screen there:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v55/EPAIII/Web%20Post%20Photos/Photobucket_zps71df2a0e.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/EPAIII/media/Web%20Post%20Photos/Photobucket_zps71df2a0e.jpg.html)

If you are seeing a lot of ads, perhaps you need to adjust your settings either in Photobucket itself or in your web browser. Some advertisers can insert their ads into other web pages: a kind of malware. This may also be happening with Lew's TinyPix site.

I would urge all Photobucket users to use the img tags. On the album pages you can click on the gear like emblem that appears when you hover over a picture and then click on Share. A list of tags will appear. The img tag, when copied to this and other sites, will display the picture on the page here so the viewer does not have to click on anything to see it full sized. That is what I did above in this message.

topct
11-30-2014, 09:14 AM
I don't have to much of a problem with Photobucket except for some of the changes that seem to be made because someone needs to justify their job by making those changes for the only reason that they can.

I am not an internet expert, but I have been on it since the letters on the screen were amber. I currently have the fastest connection the cable company offers to a home user. I cannot imagine what it might be like for anyone that doesn't. Some of the site designers seem to be oblivious as to what is happening to a home user when they load a page with so much crap that the page never fully loads and is jumping around up down and sideways while it is trying to do so. Yahoo is an adventure into the unknown if you are curious about anything they are showing you. I fail to see what any advertiser is thinking about when their ads come onto the screen in a never ending jumble of crap flying across my view, and they seem to have put a stall feature on whatever needs to happen with the back button.

The apparent disconnect between all of those involved with the current trend is so very typical of humanities never ending desire to take a good thing and turn it into a perversion of mindless glut.

So I now issue my universal warning. "When the toilet gets full, there are only two things that can happen. It will either overflow and make a mess, or it will need to be flushed".

I await as nature comes up to bat.

Paul Alciatore
11-30-2014, 11:28 AM
topct has a point. Go in any company and see who has the best, fastest, most tricked out PCs. The IS nerds. That goes in spades for a company that develops sites for the internet.

If the CEOs of those companies had any sense, they would have the computer nerds using machines that were at least two generations behind the times and an operating system that is also at least that old. AND a DIAL UP connection. Then the software they developed would work on your PC and mine.

Those computer nerds just don't see the problems they create.

RichR
11-30-2014, 03:07 PM
Hi Gene

... and they seem to have put a stall feature on whatever needs to happen with the back button.

I've found that when the back button doesn't work on a site, often double clicking (sometimes triple clicking) the back button will get you back.

caveBob
11-30-2014, 03:21 PM
MyImg
http://www.myimg.us/

...thought I'd throw another one out there that I've used for awhile, don't know if there is a time limit, but don't think so... what they do say:

Welcome to MyImg!

MyImg is a free image host but without any of the hassle. No registration is required and you don't have to worry about the image host adding in their own text on your pictures again! Here's just a little info you should know about MyImg:

The maximum file size for pictures is 2 MB (2048 KB)

That's it, that's all there is to it. So enjoy and happy uploading!

darryl
11-30-2014, 03:26 PM
I dunno. There are many times when my computer simply slows down to the point where you'd think it has frozen or something- but really it's dealing with a lot of crap in the background that you may not be seeing. All your button pushes are registered, and will operate in turn as processing ability becomes available. Why there should be all this 'computing' going on, doing nothing visible while you sit there and wait it out is bothersome. Many times when I exit the browser, I have to wait for tens of seconds for some background garbage to be taken care of. A really good example of this is when I go to a 'suggested post' on facefook- it doesn't take long for a whole host of 'wait for this' to load. There's too much of this crap going on, IMO.

topct
11-30-2014, 04:12 PM
Hi Gene

I've found that when the back button doesn't work on a site, often double clicking (sometimes triple clicking) the back button will get you back.

Yes for that, it seems to be something new. It's like they've got me and won't let me go.

PStechPaul
11-30-2014, 06:19 PM
I've had the "back" button rendered inoperable on eBay, and sometimes on forums, because of what seem to be multiple loadings of the same page. If you right-click on the back button, you can see these intermediate instances, and can choose to back in the history to where you want to be. You can also edit the URL in the address bar to return to the home page or at least someplace you want to be.

I was a late adopter of high-speed internet access and I used dial-up until perhaps 2010, when I got FIOS. One of the main reasons was that I am in a location in a small valley (or "holler" as the local yokels might say), where TV, radio, and phone reception are poor, but mostly when TV became digital, there was not enough good signal to get even one local channel reliably. I remember once when someone sent me multiple copies of an email that had a 5MB funny movie attached, and with dial-up it took probably 5 minutes to load. I became dismayed when I saw the second and third copy appear, and I turned off my modem. Big mistake. When the download of email was interrupted, the email client flagged an incomplete download and when restarted, it had to download all of the emails including those I had already received. :eek: